So much for ‘hands off’, Trent? Barrett targets Panthers trio in stunning raid
PANTHERS

• October 28, 2020 11:23am
  • by TYSON OTTO
  • Source: news.com.au

Kyle Flanagan joins Bulldogs

Kyle Flanagan joins Bulldogs
1:15

Former Penrith assistant coach Trent Barrett reportedly has his eyes on three Panthers stars in a dream “wish list”.
The new Bulldogs coach has had his eye on rising star Matt Burton since July — but the talented playmaker is just the tip of the iceberg in the Bulldogs’ planned raid on the minor premiers’ squad.

The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie on Wednesday told Sky Sports Radio the Bulldogs also have their eye on star forward Isaah Yeo and newly-selected NSW State of Origin star Stephen Crichton.

Ritchie said the Bulldogs are “privately hopeful” they could steal Burton for the 2021 season — despite the 20-year-old remaining contracted to the Panthers until the end of next season.
“They do hope privately though, if he agrees to 2022 they’ll try and bring it forward,” he said.
“You know how it works, you get an early release pretty easily these days.”
Crichton and Yeo are also reported to be off-contract at the end of 2021.
Matt Burton has options.
Matt Burton has options.Source: AAP

However, the Dogs will have a fight on their hands with the Storm, Tigers and Cowboys all reportedly chasing Burton, who was squeezed out of the Panthers starting side by the impressive form of playmaker Jarome Luai and fullback Dylan Edwards.
It comes after the Panthers earlier this year warned Barrett against trying to steal their stars as he finished his role as the club’s senior assistant under Ivan Cleary this season.
Ritchie said the cashed-up Dogs are also the front-runners to sign Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr, just days after the club confirmed the signing of former Roosters halfback Kyle Flanagan.
Flanagan confirmed his departure with an Instagram post on Monday.
“Shocked and Disappointed. I want to thank everyone involved with my time at the @sydneyroosters,” Flanagan wrote. “A rollercoaster year but full of memories I’ll remember forever.
“To the fans, I appreciate the ongoing support, it’s been unreal. To the lads, I loved every minute with you boys.”
It was earlier reported on Monday that Flanagan’s move to the Bulldogs will trigger a “player frenzy” which could see Cowboys star Jake Clifford make a move to the Knights.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yesterday's news though telegraph.
Look at the date stamp October 28, 2020 11:23am I know that the news was reported yesterday but where there is smoke there is fire. At times I feel as though I'm clutching at straws looking for a positive angle for our club and us fans.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dated today but nothing new in this is there?? Looks like more regurgitated speculation and Ritchie's sources are either unknown or nonexistent.
I'm getting jack of it might go comms down for a couple of days :sob:

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dated today but nothing new in this is there?? Looks like more regurgitated speculation and Ritchie's sources are either unknown or nonexistent.
I'm getting jack of it might go comms down for a couple of days :sob:
A the very least it's a positive article showing that we are moving in the right direction.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree I rrally hope their accurate at least for Burton and Chricton(not fussed on Yeo)but there is not one new piece of info in that story was my point it's just a re hash.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burton has to be the priority, Burton and Flanigan are a young talented pair we can build around.

Forget Ado Carr, we are already over invested in our 3/4 line.
We need to invest (even if it means paying overs) in our spine, and Burton is the one.

Come on P Mortimer (Orange) , invite the Burtons (Dubbo) over for dinner and get this over the line!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Trent doesn't work there any more - if the Panthers thought we would never approach one of their players they were being very naive.

Personally I just want the best players in the best positions - doesn't matter what club they're at, if they're off contract we're open to talk to them.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Better than reading about club/board/off field drama don't care how many times they rehash stories like this one
I feel the same brother :grinning: Not so long ago all we were reading about was infighting, what a basket case our club was, Gould warning Barrett to reconsider taking the Dogs coaching job.......so yeah I feel the same way brother.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's plenty of room in Baz's Tarago for more players..

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Extremely keen on Burton coming to our great club. Just curious to where Averillo fits into everything. I would like to see Barrett at least see the kid at training to see his potential also. If Addo as speculated is a chance and wanting fullback, does Avo play Center??

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Burton has to be the priority, Burton and Flanigan are a young talented pair we can build around.

Forget Ado Carr, we are already over invested in our 3/4 line.
We need to invest (even if it means paying overs) in our spine, and Burton is the one.

Come on P Mortimer (Orange) , invite the Burtons (Dubbo) over for dinner and get this over the line!
We gunna dump dwz off hopefully dragons are keen

No forgot addo carr instead must get addo carr

Katoni probably watching thinking cant wait to join the dogs soon

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Extremely keen on Burton coming to our great club. Just curious to where Averillo fits into everything. I would like to see Barrett at least see the kid at training to see his potential also. If Addo as speculated is a chance and wanting fullback, does Avo play Center??
Avo isn’t a centre in my opinion. If we miss out on Burton I’d love to see him get a crack at 5/8, only thing that worries me is the lack of experience we’d have in the halves.
Either 5/8 or FB. He needs his hands in the footy more.