So Many Positives Be Patient

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better ball control will at least give us a shot in most games. I’m not sure if we can fix the defence and it’s going to leak points but if we hold the ball it will be a massive help.
I think fatigue contributed to alot of the knights tries. Lost balls and a heavy penalty count will do that to you.

Early in the year the teams with the best completion rates tend to win the game. Knights went 36/43. We went 26/36. The disappointing thing is that most of our errors were straight forward. Its not as though we were trying risky passes. They were just cold drops.

Maybe they need more of that sticky spray on their hands

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last year he wouldn't have even scored those tries he'd get himself down and butcher the tries too. Plenty to work with. He's a winger though he aint a fullback.
Can't believe this kid was one of the wonder kids when he first hit he scene.

Still remember that try he scored in the prelim against the dogs when he chased that bomb.. absolutely downhill.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The positives are that we have the cattle out there now to be able to be more threatening in attack and we saw some evidence of that on Friday.

The defence clearly needs to tighten up. Communication needs to improve as it seemed to break down on a couple of occasions last week which led to points conceded. Tolman was a great middle marshal last year and perhaps not having him and JMK out there some players were a little lost.

Looking forward to the Panthers clash. Will be a great barometer to see where we’re truly at. Baz should be well rehearsed on how Penrith operate so I’ll be a little concerned if we get pasted.

Last edited:

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Katoa scores it’s 5 tries to 4. Considering the amount of possession we and Cummins gave the Knights all is not lost. 2 poor defensive reads and the terrible effort from Hoppa we defended pretty good the rest of the time. I think teams could take advantage of Flanagan rushing out of the line. It worked well for him this week. We certainly look much better in attack.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The positives are that we have the cattle out there now to be able to be more threatening in attack and we saw some evidence of that on Friday.

The defence clearly needs to tighten up. Communication needs to improve as it seemed to break down on a couple of occasions last week which led to points conceded. Tolman was a great middle marshal last year and perhaps not having him and JMK out there some players were a little lost.

Looking forward to the Panthers clash. Will be a great barometer to see where we’re truly at. Baz should be will rehearsed on how Penrith operate so I’ll be a little concerned if we get pasted.
Yep this week will be very interesting. As I said earlier the fact we didnt get a penalty or set restart for 65 minutes caused us to fatigue. I am hoping we get a fairer run from the refs this week so we get a better idea of where we are at in defence.

We are a pretty new side and only having 1 trial wasnt ideal. That's where the communication suffers.

I just want to see improvement during the year. I was disappointed with last Friday but I guess it just shows we have a long way to go.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were a lot of '6 to go's' over the weekend (not just in our game) that seemed to have no substance. It might be partly because things move so quick there's no time for replays and a closer look, but there didn't seem to be holding down or hands on the ball or anything in many of them. The NRL need to be very careful about making ref's accountable, and being seen to be accountable, in this area.

Still, it's up to us to be more disciplined, especially our handling, cause we won't beat any of the better sides if we get lopsided penalty and '6 again' counts against us. Fortunately those things aren't, or shouldn't be, hard to fix.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were a lot of '6 to go's' over the weekend (not just in our game) that seemed to have no substance. It might be partly because things move so quick there's no time for replays and a closer look, but there didn't seem to be holding down or hands on the ball or anything in many of them. The NRL need to be very careful about making ref's accountable, and being seen to be accountable, in this area.

Still, it's up to us to be more disciplined, especially our handling, cause we won't beat any of the better sides if we get lopsided penalty and '6 again' counts against us. Fortunately those things aren't, or shouldn't be, hard to fix.
I emailed Talkin Sport about the fact we didnt get a set re-start until the 65th minute. Graeme said something like "I watched the game and couldnt believe the balance of the 6 again calls". He was also very surprised when he realised we didnt get our first until the 65th minute and didnt get a single penalty.

Yep we made some soft errors but even if we played well it would have still been hard to win with that bias.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
After seeing some of the other teams play, I think overall we were one of the better losers. We didn't get many chances and still showed enough in attack.

I'm just worried about our defense.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
has anyone seen a replay that conclusively shows that TO'A grounded the ball for knights second try ?? because i still havent seen that one from a decent angle ?

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score

Sorry to tell you this, but the NRL don't care ... they're behind the approval of SIX agains, they even made changes to minimise scrutiny by adding more ways to strengthen their reasons for implementing the 6 again rule, like it or not refs create and dictate who has momentum in the game.

I agree we need to be more disciplined, but first we need to get the basics right and minimise errors in our game, handing over easy possession is our own worst detriment particularly when we don't back up and defend errors we have created.

I hate hate hate, the 6 again rule, hands over the game to officials who control the tempo of and momentum aiding how the game unfolds and effectively may determine a preconceived result.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

alot of the 6 to go's were because we got dominated at the ruck, until we win that it is going to be a long year

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I made a post in another thread and documented exactly what happened step by step. I also posted a few images where we should have received penalties or a 6 again. One of which was Bradman Best with his hand all over the ball after tackle was complete. Ironically, this is what we received our first 6 again call for much later on.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you this, but the NRL don't care ... they're behind the approval of SIX agains, they even made changes to minimise scrutiny by adding more ways to strengthen their reasons for implementing the 6 again rule, like it or not refs create and dictate who has momentum in the game.

I agree we need to be more disciplined, but first we need to get the basics right and minimise errors in our game, handing over easy possession is our own worst detriment particularly when we don't back up and defend errors we have created.

I hate hate hate, the 6 again rule, hands over the game to officials who control the tempo of and momentum aiding how the game unfolds and effectively may determine a preconceived result.
Yeah, the NRL won't care, unless of course the Roosters get caned a few times and Politis starts arking up.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Other factor with 6 agains is refs want a breather themselves and don't have to get into position with the changeover of possession to the opposition :grinning:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is a positive and that was with a 5-0 penalty count against us. We are going fine and I watched the game again after calming down on Friday I was a bit more pleased the second time round.
Same here. With even possession, I think we might have pulled off a win.