Sione Mata'utia may back out of agreed terms with Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rabaul: Boom youngster Sione Mata'utia may have agreed to terms with the Bulldogs but the Newcastle outside back has no intention of leaving the Knights.
In his first interview since it was revealed Sione and his brothers Pat and Chanel would join the Bulldogs on a long-term deal from 2016, Mata'utia left little doubt where he saw his long-term future.
"I'm a Newcastle boy through and through," Mata'utia said. "I was born in Sydney but I grew up in Newcastle since I was five.
"[The situation] hasn't been too good. I'm doing some negotiating and we're getting through it. My manager and Matt Gidley [Knights chief executive] are doing a bit of talking. They want to get it done.
Advertisement
"There's been a bit of pressure and a bit of media. I thought I would lay low for a bit and what a better way to do it then to get to PNG and get away from it all. Our first option is to stay at Newcastle and whatever is best for the family."
Mata'utia said he had agreed to terms with the Bulldogs but was yet to sign a contract. Under NRL rules, he has until round 13 to back out of his Canterbury deal.
"We've spoken to them but we haven't signed any papers," Mata'utia said. "My manager is close with the Bulldogs committee. My three older brothers played for the Bankstown Cougars as young boys. They consider us as locals. Most of our family is from Sydney and we've known a couple of the board members for a while now.
"Coming off [contract] next year, they threw in an offer straight away.
"It's stressful at times. It's part of being a footy player. You have to take it all on board. It's a big learning curve to me. How I approach this situation will make me a better footballer and person. We'll get it sorted."
While Sione is adamant he wants to remain a Knight, the family could be further split. The Newcastle trio want to stay together and are keen to reunite with older brother Peter, who has a year to run on his contract with St George Illawarra.
"We've all sat down as a family and had a talk. We've decided we want to stay in Newcastle but if not we'll all go our own ways," Mata'utia said.
Only the NRL's age restrictions kept Mata'utia from making his debut before his 18th birthday. He finished the season with seven tries from as many games, including three against the Warriors.
"It all happened pretty fast," Mata'utia said. "It was a dream come true to get my debut and to do it with my brother [Chanel] is something I never thought I would do. I've had time to stop and rewind and think about everything.
"I've watched [my first try] a couple of times, I won't lie. I've even shown a couple of people."
Mata'utia will get his first taste of representative football when he plays for the Prime Minister's XIII against PNG on Sunday. Mata'utia has been taken aback by the support from the locals.
"The love for rugby is something I have never seen before, coming from the airport and seeing it packed out just to get a glimpse," Mata'utia said.
"Their love of footy has surprised me. It's awesome. They surprised me about how many players they knew. They knew the whole team. I'm really loving it."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...y-bulldogs-20141011-114qg3.html#ixzz3FqSzFs6c

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With all the whining and Newcastle G stringing being done by Sione, I wonder how he and his bothers would feel if our club announced publicly that due to their negativity we are strongly reconsidering our position and are willing to walk away?

Their next contract deals would be worth peanuts!!! Now I'm not one to gift wrap future talent for rival clubs but if our club did take this action players would stop prostituting our name for their gains.

Same post as in rumor thread!!!

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs shoyld tell them to fk off and stay in newcastle. Not wait for them to negotiate with knights then us open our legs when that falls through.

Dogs should be proactive like the fifita saga. Either u wanna come join or p1ss off

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
More fool them.

If they don't want to play for our great club and would rather work with a coach who has a < 50% winning rate, good luck to him.

He can look forward to not playing finals footy for a long time.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree why these boys agreed to terms and now want to back flip to me its all about the money! Why the NRL has a silly round 13 rule really puzzles me, it's like a mickey mouse rule just gives the players more time to get their clubs to offer more money, they should have a transfer window once signed LEAVE, simple really!
Anyways if they don't want to come then don't, our great club moved on from SBW and Barba and we will again, 2015 is our year ppl!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I agree why these boys agreed to terms and now want to back flip to me its all about the money! Why the NRL has a silly round 13 rule really puzzles me, it's like a mickey mouse rule just gives the players more time to get their clubs to offer more money, they should have a transfer window once signed LEAVE, simple really!
Anyways if they don't want to come then don't, our great club moved on from SBW and Barba and we will again, 2015 is our year ppl!
They ain't SBW or Barba......we don't need them.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Our club just needs to play the old "don't expect us to offer you a contract in the future if you decline us now" line.

Brothers could set themselves up for a BIG pay day under a decent coach at a decent club.

Under Stone at the Knights, they'll have to rely on natural ability, because he's hardly the right coach to get the best out of his players (tried before and failed dismally).

Reaction score
How quickly the opinion changes of many. And may again.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Were so unlucky with signing players it's becoming a joke
Its like the moment we want a player the other club goes fark them,look at hoffman ffs now they want to release him he must be so pissed off at them

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Were so unlucky with signing players it's becoming a joke
It's got to be rarlene. No offence - a woman negotiating a cut throat minds sports.

She has not done anything yet really.
And brett morris is "fall into place" because of josh

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They ain't SBW or Barba......we don't need them.
My sediments exactly!! seems like they have s similar issue as Fifita had, STFU!! after reading that I say FO but, then again it is my sceptisism towards the media that may have swung into action.
I am not looking forward to the BS threads and posts regarding this matter that will occupy us till round 13 next year either.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Boom youngster Sione Mata'utia may have agreed to terms with the Bulldogs but the Newcastle outside back has no intention of leaving the Knights.
In his first interview since it was revealed Sione and his brothers Pat and Chanel would join the Bulldogs on a long-term deal from 2016, Mata'utia left little doubt where he saw his long-term future.
"I'm a Newcastle boy through and through," Mata'utia said.
So is this young bloke a dope or a liar? Or is his manager just after a bigger slice of commission?

Either way we don't want him because a walkout on his contract would always be his first option.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to tell them either they commit seriously to the club before round 1 or the deal is off the table. Next year we need to focus, play consistently and get the premiership, don't need all the media being about these guys until round 13.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
It's got to be rarlene. No offence - a woman negotiating a cut throat minds sports.

She has not done anything yet really.
And brett morris is "fall into place" because of josh
Come out of your cave fella. That's the dumbest comment I have ever read

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
TBH i didnt care if the Matas were coming or not (fark trying to spell that name, i wil refer to them as the Matas lol). Thier loss.

And please tell me its a typo and Sione doesnt have a brother called Chanel. Chanel? How did he live through school? On what planet would Chanel be a guy's name?

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Weren't expecting him to come. If he wants to act like this **** him off. The fact is he can't sign with anyone other than the Knights or dogs now so he's shot himself in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.