News Signed 2 years. Suluka Fifita

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Plenty of other fringe first graders I'd prefer over him. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.
My concern is the injury.

If he were in for a full preseason I'd be completely on board.

Just seems like an unnecessary risk from our side taking him on.

Then again, this story could be and probably is complete bullshit so ...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My concern is the injury.

If he were in for a full preseason I'd be completely on board.

Just seems like an unnecessary risk from our side taking him on.

Then again, this story could be and probably is complete bullshit so ...
I'm not too fussed on the injury in the sense that alot of our forwards couldn't last the season in 23'. If he is fit mid season and is toiling in reserve grade and is depth when required he's ok.
Can fully understand people wanting a forward that can play right now as it's genuinely needed.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For those complaining about this potential signing. It's not like there's a hundred off contract props on the market. Any players we pick up have to be surplus from other clubs.

As such it's a matter of hoping we can imitate the club's old style and pick up an unpolished diamond who's ready to reveal their quality.

I've said this a few times recently. But we're getting back into the habit of identifying talent before their current clubs see their potential. Guys like Kiraz, King and Preston typically had few fans touting their signings. Let's hope that if we do get this Fifita he's the next in line that grows an extra leg in our colours

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For those complaining about this potential signing. It's not like there's a hundred off contract props on the market. Any players we pick up have to be surplus from other clubs.

As such it's a matter of hoping we can imitate the club's old style and pick up an unpolished diamond who's ready to reveal their quality.

I've said this a few times recently. But we're getting back into the habit of identifying talent before their current clubs see their potential. Guys like Kiraz, King and Preston typically had few fans touting their signings. Let's hope that if we do get this Fifita he's the next in line that grows an extra leg in our colours
While I do agree that 'beggars can't be choosers' I think the biggest concern is that we'd be signing a player who'd apparently already be out for a large chunk of the season.

If he were elite, perhaps there would be reason to take that risk. Or even if he were a top player. But ... he's not really that elite? Or a top player?

So, I think it's natural for people to be concerned in regard to his injury and whether it's worth it.

Personally I think this story is bogus but let's see

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
While I do agree that 'beggars can't be choosers' I think the biggest concern is that we'd be signing a player who'd apparently already be out for a large chunk of the season.

If he were elite, perhaps there would be reason to take that risk. Or even if he were a top player. But ... he's not really that elite? Or a top player?

So, I think it's natural for people to be concerned in regard to his injury and whether it's worth it.

Personally I think this story is bogus but let's see
I'm not unveiling restricted info here. But factoring in the cap rise that just happened and introducing a new team last year, very few star players changed clubs.

I can understand the concern that he's a gamble. But how many clubs will release a key player for any reason other than cap space.

At this stage I think any star prop we negotiate with will have it in the back of their mind that they're going to be carrying our pack. So I'm hoping that we improve the engine room by increments for the moment until the pack is more enticing to join.

The back 5 right now are on par with about any team, halves are a work in progress but potentially have a high ceiling. Second row could be incredible this year. So everywhere else we haven't made incremental improvements, it's been a huge step up from previous years.

So gambling on a prop that shouldn't break the bank but will give us a bit of size and aggression isn't a bad call. Might work out and it might fail. But sitting on our hands won't help. We have to take some chances. And even if he's got a fair chunk of rehab to complete, he's still relatively young and might be part of future plans. Terrell May doesn't look like happening and I don't think a lot seperated may and Fifita.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just another cheap player looking for a better opportunity, doesn't mean he will succeed with us and Gus knows this. We're in a position right now where until the juniors are ready we don't really have any other choice for forward depth, low risk signings in the hope we may find a diamond or at least a serviceable player.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently Souffs are wearing most of his 2024 contract on their Cap, we only carry 2025 of his contract on our Cap. We have an option for 2026. Seems to solve 2 problems, Souffs need a spot freed up and have the Cap space, we have spots and plenty of Cap space available for 2025. (Source Souffs insider) Seems to be a very low risk acquisition in a position that we need depth.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree that Suluka-Fifita is average. But I'm sure he'd be on a minimum wage deal (a certain someone will probably claim he's on 600k a year for 3 years) with no long term ramifications. If his rehab doesn't go well, he'll probably be released and we'll sign someone else.

So even if you think he's garbage, there's not much to get worked up about...

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Apparently Souffs are wearing most of his 2024 contract on their Cap, we only carry 2025 of his contract on our Cap. We have an option for 2026. Seems to solve 2 problems, Souffs need a spot freed up and have the Cap space, we have spots and plenty of Cap space available for 2025. (Source Souffs insider) Seems to be a very low risk acquisition in a position that we need depth.

Always a Bulldog
Any idea what his signed for at Sths? If we are taking him in 2025 at Sths numbers are we looking $200k or did they have him on crazy money?

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
lol people losing their shit because Gus talks to a player.and the same people are too stupid to learn after the last time they where wrong. IF this bloke signs it’ll be for minimum and he will be forward depth for 25 but as has already been proven all the I’s will be dotted and all the T’s will be crossed if and when he puts pen to paper.
But carry on it mildly entertaining.
So Gus has been 100% correct in all of his decisions? Blind faith is stupidity, and u have that in spades.