Shoulder Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Of course it has only been picked up because of the head clash.... every shoulder charge isn't a judiciary offence geez.
I understand that the shoulder charge inst a judiciary offence (I think it should be brought back in) but if there is a shoulder charge, what currently is the penalty for it? Its a real grey area to me.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The current penalty is a penalty to the opposition team. Just like any other illegal tackle for example chicken wing, crusher etc

If you contact their head, you go to the judiciary.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The current penalty is a penalty to the opposition team. Just like any other illegal tackle for example chicken wing, crusher etc

If you contact their head, you go to the judiciary.
But can you explain why no penalties on Sandow?

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The only Sandow one I saw was against us, and he had his arms up, so you can argue he was trying to make a legitimate tackle. That is one of many gray areas the NRL has to fix.

No doubt he has done others, haven't seen video of them. It is up to the refs just like everything else though. The refs don't pick up every other illegal tactic.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only Sandow one I saw was against us, and he had his arms up, so you can argue he was trying to make a legitimate tackle. That is one of many gray areas the NRL has to fix.

No doubt he has done others, haven't seen video of them. It is up to the refs just like everything else though. The refs don't pick up every other illegal tactic.
I understand your point but what happens if the defender gets a cracked sternum or some other serious injury without damage to the head? Would they just give a penalty?

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe you get charged with dangerous contact and get put on report, and then it is up to the judiciary to decide what happens.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thanks i know you mentioned similar earlier. D. Anderson has said they will stick with consistency especially with obstruction rule to eliminate grey areas and will make a decision to change rules later. It shouldnt be any different for a shoulder charge if the crime is a penalty during the game. Not sure if others have any thoughts on sandow in last game and if it still had an arm wrap?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It seems that it all depends on whether a player goes down hurt. At present, Sandow is treated as a non-event. If he manages to take a player out, it would be a different matter.

It is quite obvious that the shoulder charge is not being penalised every time, like the obstruction rule is.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He had it successfully downgraded

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Because one week was what Slater got.

Guess the bar has been set!
In the Manly players case the shoulder charge didnt do the damage, a head clash did, and the shoulder charge hit the other players shoulder. With Slater, he knocked out a player, and his shoulder directly hit the guy in the head. Just like his "accidental" kick got Klemmer.

Slater may not be as good bringing balls out of the danger zone as people think. Nobody will come in to tackle him because they know hes legs everywhere. So when he lands he has space in front of him. Klemmer is a new blood and doesnt know about Slater yet and went in on him.

Hes a cheat. One day the NRL will wake up to him. Hes a grub.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Confirmed on channel 9 that a shoulder charge is a penalty offence. Judiciary only comes in if there is contact with the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.