Should we offer Tedesco 1.25M ?

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why a lot of people seem to think Avaliro is our rockstar full back. Has he ever played fullback. watchef a lot of lower grades never seen hom play fullback always in the halves. Teally only has played a couple of hames in the top grade and looked out of his depth
what am I not seeing........???
I went through the archives a while back.

Majority of his games since SG ball have been in the centres.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't know why a lot of people seem to think Avaliro is our rockstar full back. Has he ever played fullback. watchef a lot of lower grades never seen hom play fullback always in the halves. Teally only has played a couple of hames in the top grade and looked out of his depth
I see massive potential in him and he was the only player who really looked dangerous this year for us, I’m hoping he can play fullback if we have Burton and Flanagan.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Didn’t we offer him 1.1 before he went to roosters but he took less money to play finals football ?
I don’t care what is reported, that man they call teddy, did not go to the roosters for less money!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All of that is true but some people see Flanagan and maybe Burton coming and think Averillo needs to be in the team somewhere so fullback makes sense as he wasn't suited to centre.

Factor in his body type, athleticism, ball playing and speed and theoretically he could make a good fullback.

Obviously making the transition to fullback isn't easy and it might not be a transition Averillo makes but there is also a lot of upside to him playing fullback if he handled it well.
also nothing wrong with a bit of depth at the club

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Hasn’t anyone learnt paying crazy money for anyone wont lead to our clubs survival,most likely paying players excess amounts just causes instability ,they should play for free pride of the jersey like they did In the 80’s.
Wake up brother its 2020. All that pride shit is dead to todays NRL players.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Do we still have the guernsey with his name on it in the locker room?
Nah when the Despot cleaned out his office that jersey was shoved into a cardboard box of departing items along with a USB stick containing the PowerPoint that said ‘Two Premierships by 2019’ and a Hallmark that said ‘thanks for the memories’...

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a proper hooker, Flanagan and Burton, then you can see where we’re at if we can accommodate an expensive player in Tedesco.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s got the talent to slot into fullback but I don’t think he’s any sure thing to fire there. He’s a confidence player and you can easily have that shattered at fullback. I just hope he gets a position sorted and is given the full season in that spot.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah when the Despot cleaned out his office that jersey was shoved into a cardboard box of departing items along with a USB stick containing the PowerPoint that said ‘Two Premierships by 2019’ and a Hallmark that said ‘thanks for the memories’...
That jersey thing was a funny story.
We had his name on it and it was all his if he wanted it.
Thing is uncle Nick probably had a Bentley with tedesco's name on the plates. A no brainer choice. Teddy gunned it up kingsgrove rd headed straight to Bondi laughing all the way. The rubber is still there today:grinning:

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reports say the Roosters have offered Tedesco 3.3M to extend for another 3 years (1.1M per season) and there is a bit of stalling because Tedesco's camp want a bit more - which the Roosters are unlikely to give.

1.25M per season (the same as the Titans paid for Fafita) may be enough to get him to switch clubs. It's an extra 450K (nearly half a MIL) over the 3 years.

Would you pay it ? / should we pay it ?

Is he worth it ? (best player in the world)

Could we afford it ?

This would be in addition to us also buying Flanagan, Burton and a top hooker. By 2022 we should have enough to buy "all"

We're not going to have much creative strike in attack in the forwards (only our hooker hopefully and RFM and Elliott) and our halves if we get Flanagan and Burton will still be very young and inexperienced and our wingers will just be average it seems so we might as well spend up to get the best strike power we can afford from fullback. Many don't think JAC can make a good transition. Wouldn't it be great to finally have our rockstar fullback ? - the best player in the NRL. ? We should be able to afford 1 top 5 player in such an important position. Really, if you look at our team on paper we should be able to afford both Tedesco AND JAC.

1 James Tedesco
2 Jayden Okunbor
3 Nick Cotric
4 Oliver Gildhardt / Dylan Walker / Jake Averillo
5 Josh Addo-Carr / Reimis Smith
6 Matt Burton
7 Kyle Flanagan
8 Ofahiki Ogden
9 Harry Grant / Brandon Smith / Daryl Clarke
10 Luke Thompson
11 RFM
12 Adam Elliott
13 Josh Jackson

14 Renouf Toomaga
15 Jack Hetherington
16 Corey Waddell
17 Joe Stimson
18 Matt Doorey
It will take far more than 1.25M per year for Teddy to leave the Chooks. 1.1M is supposed to be their "official" offer but don't forget Uncle Nick's brown paper bags, countless 4th cousins with spare Ferraris in the garage and lifetime jobs after footy at their club such as office cleaner for 200k a year. Better to get young talent who are years ahead of their peers and won't be playing Origin picking up season ending injuries.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will take far more than 1.25M per year for Teddy to leave the Chooks. 1.1M is supposed to be their "official" offer but don't forget Uncle Nick's brown paper bags, countless 4th cousins with spare Ferraris in the garage and lifetime jobs after footy at their club such as office cleaner for 200k a year. Better to get young talent who are years ahead of their peers and won't be playing Origin picking up season ending injuries.
That's the thing with 1.25 mil price tag. It leaves a massive hole in the cap and roster when there's an injury. And if its in a rep game we all saw with Foran how much the NRL compensates the club.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the thing with 1.25 mil price tag. It leaves a massive hole in the cap and roster when there's an injury. And if its in a rep game we all saw with Foran how much the NRL compensates the club.
Yep and even as good as Tedesco is he ain’t worth 1.25 mill. He won 2 comps but that was with a halves pairing of Keary and Cronk.

Only dominant play makers are worth $1 million plus.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That jersey thing was a funny story.
We had his name on it and it was all his if he wanted it.
Thing is uncle Nick probably had a Bentley with tedesco's name on the plates. A no brainer choice. Teddy gunned it up kingsgrove rd headed straight to Bondi laughing all the way. The rubber is still there today:grinning:
Sigh. Actually if memory serves me correctly he would’ve signed had we also taken Mitch Moses (Brooks had already re-committed to the Tigers and we had Woods) but the Despot said no to Moses as we had Foz. Ah, hindsight :-).

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
an extra 150k is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averillos our long term fullback. Hopefully Barrett recognises this and acts accordingly
Totally agree. I couldnt understand our interest in Staines, and if we do sign JAC it should be to play wing. The real reason he wants to come back to sydney is family related, not position related, he just threw that in there to try and get more money when allowed to come home. Fuck that!! He can play wing, or we dont sign him IMO. Averilo is our future fb, and he will cost a fraction of what JAC will.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I had good oil On this.
I mentioned a few weeks ago we offered teddy 1.5 but he turned us down.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I had good oil On this.
I mentioned a few weeks ago we offered teddy 1.5 but he turned us down.
A silent auction and he turned us down at 1.5mil.
If true then I could only think he's on that much somehow or thereabouts.
No player would sacrifice a difference of 1.2mil over 3 years.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have to agree at this stage. Averillo has loads of potential. But still saw him cop some big hits and go into his shell in attack and defence. He's got some toughening up to do and needs to develop in confidence before he's going to be at his best with any regularity. He was rushed in this year due to the fact that the coaches were trying to hold their jobs. If we had a better centre this year he'd have been given more time to develop in the reserves where he could face adults outside of the pressure cooker of the NRL.

He might get there physically. But I put him in the same boat as someone like Bevan French. Both fairly talented. But the transition into the NRL was fairly difficult. Our fans are a hard bunch to please. He'll get a load of hype for a while, but the knives will come out if he doesn't achieve great things in a hurry. This desire to move him to either 5/8 or fullback reflects the fact that people already think he's not quite up to standard as a centre where his most basic skillset (elusive, pace, passing game) are pretty beneficial. But supposedly throwing him into a more physically demanding halves role or into fullback where he can be easily isolated is meant to help.his game.

I'm more inclined to think he needs a season in reserves to toughen up. Meaney wasn't bad at fullback. And I think he's actually managed to fill out enough that he doesn't get dominated like he did when first selected.