Should the NRL use the AFL system of having a week off before the Finals?

Which system should the NRL use?

• Bye week before the Finals

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Bye week before the GF

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Leave as is

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Would stop teams resting their players this week as teams wouldn't want their players having 3 weeks off before a finals game. Also the Finals are a new comp so would allow teams to properly prepare for them.

Do you prefer the NFL system of a week off before the GF?

Keep things as is?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Bye before finals and bye before the GF. Scrap the bye in week two and make the entire final series sudden death.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Week of before finals definitely.
The other good thing about a buy before finals is that the 11 day mandatory HIA .
Imagine your superstar gets a head knock a week before the finals.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bye before finals and bye before the GF. Scrap the bye in week two and make the entire final series sudden death.
You can't have the minor premiers get no advantage and have to play sudden death football from week 1.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I like the idea of sudden death / knockout in the finals.

1v8
2v7
3v6
4v5
I think if you want to make it a knockout system then you need to make week 1 7 vs 10 & 8 vs 9. Also make it like the NFL system where the seeds are redone after every playoff round.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You can't have the minor premiers get no advantage and have to play sudden death football from week 1.
If the draw was fair then I'd agree but as it is now I'm not too bothered about giving them an extra advantage. If we're going to play finals then act like it's a seperate comp.

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely week before finals only because the amount of players rested in the comp this weekend is abysmal. The AFL system works and allows them to rest and we don’t get the farce that NRL is having this weekend.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Bye for the top six and wildcard round for that week. 7v8 9v10. Broadcasters are happy and top 6 earned the week off. The 2 teams that win are just making up the numbers anyways.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I can't believe people are voting for leave it as is.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
The last round is the supports rest weekend. Let's not keep changing shit. The NRL dont do tradition well.. Day gf gone, last Sunday in sept gone, constant rule changes. Just fucking leave something untouched LoL

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The last round is the supports rest weekend. Let's not keep changing shit. The NRL dont do tradition well.. Day gf gone, last Sunday in sept gone, constant rule changes. Just fucking leave something untouched LoL
The current system is broken. You don't leave it as is just for the sake of it. The NRL could be 100 times better if it were run better.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
The current system is broken. You don't leave it as is just for the sake of it. The NRL could be 100 times better if it were run better.
Mate the bye round now isn't the issue , the schedule is broken. No home and away round, the fuckery around origin . The season is to long 3 byes and odd number of teams is just shit.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Mate the bye round now isn't the issue , the schedule is broken. No home and away round, the fuckery around origin . The season is to long 3 byes and odd number of teams is just shit.
Broncos getting an away game on their home ground every year for magic round, what a load of crap that rort is.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It's 1 of many things that are broken. To fix the issues I would:

18 team comp.
NRL stops for 3 weeks in a row midseason to play Origin on 3 straight Sundays. On Friday & Saturday we have International games.
NRL is 3 divisions of 6.
You play every team once & your division rivals twice for a total of 22 games. No byes all season.
Division champs & next best 7 teams make the playoffs. Every Playoff game is a knockout game.
Week 1 is 7th vs 10th. 8th vs 9th. Top 6 get a bye.
Highest ranked team in each Playoff game picks where the game is played until the Final 4 as I would give them a cut of the gates.

That makes the comp the fairest for every team.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
They probably don't all play supercoach.

Seriously though its not a bad idea however with a bye every round opens chance a team will have 2 weeks off in a row. 1 week off is good for a team, 2 might be too long for match fitness. Would work better when they get an 18th team and scrap byes every round