Should Maguire get the sack?

Should Maguire get the sack?

• Total voters

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tigers board seems a bit undecided at this point. What would you do if you were in their shoes? Sack him and sign up the 6th coach in the last decade or persist with him even though he's having trouble recruiting marquee players?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Absolutely he should be sacked. His style of constantly blowing up isn't sustainable. He's never been a good tactical coach outside of the grapple era. He doesn't build relationships with the players and they're worse now than before they hired him..

Obviously there are board/management and roster issues at the Tigers which go beyond coaching, but Maguire isn't the coach for them short or long term..

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yes he should be but it's not because of his coaching. He can't recruit any good players.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that he's not a good coach. The guy won a premiership which is no easy feat.

I think if he got a decent roster who'd suit his defense oriented style of coaching he'd have more success. During his term, he's had to get rid of over paid players like Reynolds, Mbye, Packer, etc.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that he's not a good coach. The guy won a premiership which is no easy feat.

I think if he got a decent roster who'd suit his defense oriented style of coaching he'd have more success. During his term, he's had to get rid of over paid players like Reynolds, Mbye, Packer, etc.
I agree. He seems to drive really hard standards which is fine. Yet at South’s he had some real strong leaders in the team to help carry the message. He doesn’t have that at the tigers.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Its a tough one for the Tigpies. I'd hate to be in that position.

I voted to sack the board, but i also don't think Maguire's position is tenable.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tigers board seems a bit undecided at this point. What would you do if you were in their shoes? Sack him and sign up the 6th coach in the last decade or persist with him even though he's having trouble recruiting marquee players?
That's the problem - 6 coaches in 10 years tells you that coaching is not the issue. Either that or they don't know how to pick a coach. I think it's a combination of administration & players going behind the coach's back to the administration. Maguire has partly brought this on himself by signing players like J.Leilua. He has high standards but doesn't buy players who will live up to those standards. Perhaps Sheens will assist in this regard.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As I previously posted, the problem with the Tigers isn’t the coach, it’s their fractured management with dysfunctional Wests and Tigers splits everywhere, from where their facilities are located to where they play games. They have had 6 coaches in 9 years, plainly changing the coach won’t fix their problems, the poor bastards don’t stand a chance. The players and the football staff get told shit by one half of the management and then totally different shit by the other half. Getting Sheens back is a desperate attempt to put someone between the coach/players and the divisive back room, he’s the insulator.

Not basing themselves in SW Sydney is a real world example of the Tigers versus Wests functional divisions. Their centre of excellence should be at Campbelltown (or thereabouts), by all means play a token 2 home games per year at Leichardt (same as we do now at Belmore) and the rest of their home games at a redeveloped stadium in Campbelltown (or thereabouts). But that won't happen because they still have the stubborn Tigers stalwarts who just won't let go, fail to acknowledge that their future is not in Sydney's inner west.

The coach is not the Tigers real problem.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes, hopefully Flanagan gets the gig although unsure he would take them on? and if so take his son with him which would be Mcfuckin awesome.

In all honesty idrgaf other than for this reason.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, hopefully Flanagan gets the gig although unsure he would take them on? and if so take his son with him which would be Mcfuckin awesome.

In all honesty idrgaf other than for this reason.
Does anyone seriously think SFlanagan is that stupid, take on the West Tigers coaching gig, FMD that's a coaching death sentence.

Always a Bulldog

the12thman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Let's hope Gus swoops in and takes over the neglected Liverpool and Campden junior regions.

Tigers are too concerned with the Balmain area and playing at Leichardt even though Balmain contribute next to nothing to the joint venture.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I would of sacked him for Shane Flanagan. Not sure about the other coaches being thrown around. The Tigers ticking time bomb continues. I do think there's a massive problem above the coach too.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree. He seems to drive really hard standards which is fine. Yet at South’s he had some real strong leaders in the team to help carry the message. He doesn’t have
Nnn. 吧, that at the tigers.
Thats why he tried to sign players like Finucane but the tigers administration were too amateur to close the deals.