News Should Canterbury persist with Kyle Flanagan? NRL legends urge Bulldogs to 'bite the bullet' after Round 4

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
When you watch game after game and barely notice he is on the field beside the quick early pass or the good tackle. You know that you don't have a half back, you have mortar between bricks. Imagine the most important position in the team is what you slap bricks together with. Fucking amazing the coaching staff have not dealt with this situation properly already. He has everything but the mental attitude to get on with it. He has a self governor he can't switch off, because when he has, he has bursts of out of control impulse actions that see him kick it out of play in the attacking zone by 10 metres. This kid may never find the zone it takes to be an elite player in such an important leadership role. He has feeling for the defensive role but not the attacking one.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good players don't have to rely on other players, put simply they perform. Terry Lamb didn't always have Turvey inside him & carried the team on his back when he came back after he retired to help the club through a tough time.
At 22 Lamb wasn’t carrying anyone on his back.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We all agree that Flanno is shit but how is Burton not copping some of the heat? They failed to mention that Burton who is playing inside a gun left edge has also yet to register a try assist.
Because he has that massive bomb which we’ve seen once in 4 rounds. When he is being interviewed that’s literally all anyone asks him about

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
We should definitely stick with Kyle on a few conditions.

1) Transitions and changes her name to Kylie
2) Straight up starting spot in the Dogs first womens team.
1680001019431.png
Can see Kylie's running game (or lack thereof) will not be an issue and obviously being a woman now Kylie's ball playing will be on point.

Think this idea is a winner....

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
We should definitely stick with Kyle on a few conditions.

1) Transitions and changes her name to Kylie
2) Straight up starting spot in the Dogs first womens team.
View attachment 67538
Can see Kylie's running game (or lack thereof) will not be an issue and obviously being a woman now Kylie's ball playing will be on point.

Think this idea is a winner....
@Flanagun needs to update his profile pic to this.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that Burton finished last season with huge bombs and a very good kicking game, he then has a foot operation in the off season & we’ve since seen zero big bombs and he is now struggling with the boot ..

Is there something we don’t know ?
Burton hasnt and cannot kick accurately consistently yet. Its plain to see.

I cant remember ever seeing him land 1 to pull up in goal, they always overshoot. I suspect this is why he isnt kicking deep enough for the most part. He was trying his hand earlier in the season last year and kept kicking dead = 7 tackle set to the opposition.
Cant remember the game but earlier this year he was putting the team under pressure having to defend kicking errors in the second half.
Cant remember him kicking a 40/20 (another highly accurate kick)
People giving him grief for not putting up enough massive bombs but its taken out of context. Warriors defended well last weekend and unlike us where allowed to get up in our face. He had no room to move last weekend on the last. He needs that little bit of extra time/space to set up for his massive kick.
And you dont put it up for the sake of it. If a tries not on its about setting up down field defending your next set trying to win the battle of field position.
Cleary and Moses are capable of massive lofty kicks but you dont see them putting them up.
They are playing footy and strategically kicking for how they are going to defend the next set. Massive bomb is a kick and hope for error or opportunity to re claim the ball.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t understand his thinking, he has the biggest kick in the game and chooses the end over end which is more predictable to track opposed to the spiral or belly-kick bomb which floats and is extremely difficult to navigate… why park one of his biggest assets in the garage?

I’d also like to see him run the ball a little more than he has.

Would help if he didn’t have a half that poses zero threat, opposing teams simply focus defence on Burto and his side of the field. Having Reed has at least helped in this regard, he’s been brilliant for us.
That explains why the RHS trio has scored more tries then the LHS trio.

Always a Bulldog

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury's loss to the Warriors on Sunday afternoon has raised alarm bells for two NRL legends, with pressure mounting on Kyle Flanagan to retain his spot at halfback.

In a back-and-forth battle, the Bulldogs were unable to secure a third-straight win and fell to the hosts 14-12 at Mt. Smart Stadium.

Matt Burton and Reed Mahoney were forced to orchestrate a lot of the side's attack, but the Dogs were unable to muster up enough points in a dismal attacking display.

The question has now been raised by premiership-winning halfback Greg Alexander regarding the future of Flanagan, who is off-contract at the end of 2023 and is unlikely to earn an extension given the emergence of teenage sensation Karl Oloapu.

“I did say through yesterday’s game that the pressure on Matt Burton is increasing as the season gets longer for him to do everything," he said on SEN Radio.

"He is the runner, the kicker, he looks like he is organising. In terms of threatening the line, if you’re not getting help from somewhere else [it makes it difficult].

"Hayze Perham is a runner not a passer, whereas Kyle Flanagan is a passer not a runner. Matt Burton is trying to do a bit of everything and I think the load is too big on him.

"Do the Bulldogs bite the bullet and put Karl Oloapu in? Maybe."

Oloapu joined the club from the Broncos system and has been a standout in NSW Cup early in the campaign, scoring two tries and producing four try assists, as well as averaging over 100 run metres per game.

In comparison, Flanagan is yet to register a single try assist across the four rounds of the NRL season, while his running game is practically non-existent, leaving his halves partner Burton to shoulder the responsibility.

Storm legend Cameron Smith believes the 25-year-old needs to take ownership for the organisational side of Canterbury's attack, allowing the NSW star to play his natural game.

“He’s not a rookie anymore – he’s been around for quite some time and he’s played 60-odd games...you would like to think that he’s gonna be able to take control of this side," he said on SEN Radio.

Matt Burton is not that style of player that is an organiser and controls their game plan – a bit like Cameron Munster for the Melbourne Storm.

"He is much more dangerous when he hangs out on his left edge and gets an opportunity with retreating defence and quick play-the-balls, that’s when he pounces. He just needs someone there to steer the ship a little bit.

"I think Kyle Flanagan has that ability, but I don’t know if his confidence has been rocked over the past 12-18 months with a few decisions around his career.

"At this stage now, where he has played 60-plus games, you’d like to think that he has the ability to do that for the Bulldogs."

When does Kyle Flanagan's contract end?
Kyle Flanagan signed a three-year deal with Canterbury prior to the 2021 season, which means his deal is set to expire at the end of 2023.

The 25-year-old halfback has been shuffled in and out of the side during his tenure, but has played all four games this year under new coach Cameron Ciraldo.

Will the Bulldogs re-sign Kyle Flanagan?
At this stage, Kyle Flanagan is unlikely to sign a new deal with Canterbury.

With the club paying a hefty transfer fee and a bumper salary for teenage prospect Karl Oloapu, the chances of Flanagan extending his time at Belmore and keeping hold of the No.7 jumper are almost zero.

The Cronulla local junior was reportedly shopped to Super League clubs in the off-season, but opted to stay at the Dogs and fight for his NRL career.

Kyle Flanagan 2023 stats
Games4
Tries0
Try Assists0
Linebreak Assists1
Offloads3
Average Run Metres35m
Average Kick Metres76m
Forced Dropouts1
Average Tackles24

Who is Karl Oloapu? Bulldogs young gun starring in NSW Cup
Karl Oloapu is a teenager from the Brisbane system and joined the Bulldogs on a long-term deal prior to the 2023 campaign.

The 18-year-old previously captained the Australian Schoolboys side and is capable of playing both five-eighth and halfback.

Oloapu is seen as the long-term halves partner to Matt Burton at the Bulldogs.
Flanagan will be the HB until the end of this season then it's bye bye!!

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I say give KO a go. We can’t do any worse.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I cant remember ever seeing him land 1 to pull up in goal, they always overshoot. I suspect this is why he isnt kicking deep enough for the most part. He was trying his hand earlier in the season last year and kept kicking dead = 7 tackle set to the opposition.
Cant remember the game but earlier this year he was putting the team under pressure having to defend kicking errors in the second half.
People giving him grief for not putting up enough massive bombs but its taken out of context. Warriors defended well last weekend and unlike us where allowed to get up in our face. He had no room to move last weekend on the last. He needs that little bit of extra time/space to set up for his massive kick.
And you dont put it up for the sake of it. If a tries not on its about setting up down field defending your next set trying to win the battle of field position.
Cleary and Moses are capable of massive lofty kicks but you dont see them putting them up.
They are playing footy and strategically kicking for how they are going to defend the next set. Massive bomb is a kick and hope for error or opportunity to re claim the ball.
I couldn't care less about his big bombs, I just want him to stop kicking the ball so damn shallow every week. He will be kicking from about halfway and the ball barely makes it to the 20m line. Horrible kicking game.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about his big bombs, I just want him to stop kicking the ball so damn shallow every week. He will be kicking from about halfway and the ball barely makes it to the 20m line. Horrible kicking game.
Cleary, Adam Reynolds for example have said time again their kicking is a result of many extra hours put in over the years.
I have no idea if Burton puts in the same hours. He's not contractually obliged to do so.
Up to him I suppose if he wants to be an elite.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At 22 Lamb wasn’t carrying anyone on his back.
Terry Lamb won the DallyM award whilst playing for the wooden spooners Western Suburbs in 1983 which was the year he turned 22. So whilst i don’t think it’s fair to compare any young half to a great of the game it would be fair to say he carried the Magpies on his back in ‘83.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Terry Lamb won the DallyM award whilst playing for the wooden spooners Western Suburbs in 1983 which was the year he turned 22. So whilst i don’t think it’s fair to compare any young half to a great of the game it would be fair to say he carried the Magpies on his back in ‘83.
I reckon you would of won the Daly M in 1983. Imagine running around big tiring forwards with no interchange who smoke a couple of packs of winnie reds and only trained Tue and Thurs nights. you would kill it.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I say give KO a go. We can’t do any worse.
Using ko too soon may hamper his development. Hes only played like 4 games vs adults in reggies. Coach will know when hes ready. Some don't need as much time to be ready, we can hope for that.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cleary, Adam Reynolds for example have said time again their kicking is a result of many extra hours put in over the years.
I have no idea if Burton puts in the same hours. He's not contractually obliged to do so.
Up to him I suppose if he wants to be an elite.
I've not been to many training session this year but every one I have been to Burton spends a lot of time afterwards on gaol kicking and general kicking practise. FWIW so does Flanagan and I've seen Mahony once.

Always a Bulldog

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

He forced a repeat set a few days ago with a deft little kick in the in goal. You would’ve seen it if you actually watch the game while watching[emoji23]