Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Quite embarrassing if you ask me… even earlier in the season I spoke to some dogs supporters who still thought he was a good player. No idea what people watch but from the hand full of games I seen him play at roosters and here… even in nsw cup he has been abysmal… he kills all momentum in attack
They probably watched his one good game which was against us last year.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s not ideal having SJ signed for $450 and Flanagan for $400, it’s $850k wrapped up in 2 HBs, But, I’ll still say Flanagan has less than 50 FG games, has a chance to learn from his mistakes and could be a useful back up HB. Maybe never a superstar, but he isn’t the worst ‘back up’ HB and hopefully learns from Baz and SJ. A lot of moving parts to my thinking, but most other clubs have $800k or so into 1 HB, so it’s not necessarily a salary cap disaster IMO, as we potentially have the same amount into 2 HBs. If Avo plays at 1, and either SJ/Burton go down then hopefully Flanagan could step in and fill a role short term. Ideally, happy to let Flanagan go if we’ve got SJ, but can’t see too many clubs lining up for him if he isn’t playing FG or dominating reserves. It’s a signing we might need to live with and try to develop him while we have him on the books, thats if we’ve signed SJ.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing most of the fans on TK who rate Flanno are from Greta's generation (generation entitlement) who think a HB is a "game manager" who just passes the ball to another player 5 times in a set and kicks on the last. I call that type of HB "dead weight" rather than "game manager". Passing a ball to another player is not leading the team around the park unless the pass puts the player into a hole or into a better position.
A real HB is Steve Mortimer who had all the skills and leadership in spades which is why we won 4 GF during his time. Most of the younger fans on TK don't know just how good he was.
I saw Flanno play a fair few games for the Chooks last year and it was obvious he had no running game, threw early useless passes to avoid getting hit and was essentially a pretend HB. To make the best of a bad situation he should be given time to learn the skills in reserve grade to become a real HB (or even dummy half/hooker since we still don't have a quality hooker since Ennis left) unless some other team is dumb enough to take him off us without us paying freight.
Need to have a balance though of being able to run and lead the team around the park. We have the problem with Averillo that he is only a ball runner no direction , no kicking game . I still believe Flanno can be taught to run the footy more and could improve. I don’t mind him being around the squad as back up if we sign Johnson

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to have a balance though of being able to run and lead the team around the park. We have the problem with Averillo that he is only a ball runner no direction , no kicking game . I still believe Flanno can be taught to run the footy more and could improve. I don’t mind him being around the squad as back up if we sign Johnson
A HB must be able to run, i.e take on and trouble the defence otherwise he's very predictable and the defence knows he's just passing the ball and the whoever receives the ball is going to get smashed. Flanno's passing and kicking game is crap as well. He's only had 1 good game and the rest were shite. Avo's passing and kicking game is ordinary but no worse than Flanno. The problem is Flanno doesn't have the fundamental skills that every HB should have before they even play first grade and the only incentive for the club to train him is that he takes up 450k in the cap for 2.5 more years.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Johnson is a great option for us next to burton. Thats the type of spark and creativity we need. We havnt had that for a long time now. Johnson and burton would be a great combo in the halves. If only we could bring in a creative dummy half too.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not ideal having SJ signed for $450 and Flanagan for $400, it’s $850k wrapped up in 2 HBs, But, I’ll still say Flanagan has less than 50 FG games, has a chance to learn from his mistakes and could be a useful back up HB. Maybe never a superstar, but he isn’t the worst ‘back up’ HB and hopefully learns from Baz and SJ. A lot of moving parts to my thinking, but most other clubs have $800k or so into 1 HB, so it’s not necessarily a salary cap disaster IMO, as we potentially have the same amount into 2 HBs. If Avo plays at 1, and either SJ/Burton go down then hopefully Flanagan could step in and fill a role short term. Ideally, happy to let Flanagan go if we’ve got SJ, but can’t see too many clubs lining up for him if he isn’t playing FG or dominating reserves. It’s a signing we might need to live with and try to develop him while we have him on the books, thats if we’ve signed SJ.
Plus we have a brilliant 6 coming in on not all that much money. Way less than most teams would be paying their first choice 6.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see those 3 clubs as basket cases so it's more a suggestion (maybe except one of them)
If we sign SJ and want someone to take Flanno then he probably needs to be back in first grade. His stocks are pretty low at the moment. Trading about the same as Ben Simmons.

If he comes back to first grade and plays ok someone may take him. If he plays shit his stocks probably don’t go down because they are already rock bottom.

I can’t see anyone taking him if he plays reggies for the rest of the year

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If we sign SJ and want someone to take Flanno then he probably needs to be back in first grade. His stocks are pretty low at the moment. Trading about the same as Ben Simmons.

If he comes back to first grade and plays ok someone may take him. If he plays shit his stocks probably don’t go down because they are already rock bottom.

We're relying on someone picking up his dad and hoping he takes his son. With sj and burton next year I don't think Kyle will see 1st grade for us again

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree with your approach. Since Flanno is costing us 350-450k per year for 3yrs (depending on the source) it's not in our interest to let him rot in reserve grade all year devaluing his stock. If he had any initiative or natural talent he would already be a different player so he has to be spoon fed by one of the coaching staff on how to play as a first grade 6 or 7 until he's good enough to be better than one of the current halves. It's an easy target to reach since Wakeham would be the worst #6 in the comp by a big margin. Next year if he's still around there is no way he'll be in first grade if SJ comes over. He'll be a backup only if two of SJ, Burton and Avo are injured.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Kimmorley was a great signing but he was a natural leader and was a way tougher, more consistent player who won a premiership.

Johnson is more talented than Kimmorley ever was, but he's been way more inconsistent and doesn't provide anywhere near the level of leadership and experience that Noddy did.
Tough little halfback that wasnt scared to dig in and always kicked over the advantage line driving the ball low and hard so the fullback couldn't get it on the full. Today's a lot of the mediocre halves getting around today could learn a few things from watching old footage of Noddy

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im pretty sure if we sign SJ then there will be a host.of clubs stupid enough and ready to buy Flanagan especially at 400k a year..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure if we sign SJ then there will be a host.of clubs stupid enough and ready to buy Flanagan especially at 400k a year..
I agree i think it will be easier than people think