Sharks vs dogs trial

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes true....but most of the problem is how flat we stand in attack and aren't in motion when we receive the ball. The good Cronulla try Hynes set up they were deep and the player getting the ball was in motion. We stand much flatter in attack and don't start moving till we receive the ball. Hynes and Finucane have bought the Melbourne attacking system...of every player in motion ...to the Sharks....who already had that system anyway...of standing deeper and receiving the pass in motion, so they are a good fit.
Also the Sharks go to ground when it's obvious forward momentum is stopped to achieve a quick play the ball....we stupidly stand up dancing on the spot, losing all forward momentum and allowing the opposition defence to set again. Sharks killed us all night in average metres per set because of this.
As I've said our problems are so numerous you could be mistaken for asking...Are we actually being coached at all? Or maybe it's a case of the Seibold experiment with the Broncos repeated....where the Broncos players had absolutely no idea wtf Seibold was trying to say. Is that Barrett's problem?...He's not getting his message across? If that's the case it's incumbent on Gould to step in. The Club expect no less.
I agree there are many issues. But the first thing they need to focus on is the defensive structure. We get our defense in order then we can build on that and fix other things. Our middles are not moving up enough, they are weak. We give opposing teams way too much ground and to make it worse our discipline is out of control which compounds more penalties and more meters gained by opposing teams. We got no idea

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant...Coach Tballz didnt add him to the 30. Its either Okunbor/Allen/Burns/Katoa for that wing spot.
I still prefer JOK gets first crack, but otherwise my choice would be Burns. He actually looked eager to impress -perhaps alittle too eager

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree there are many issues. But the first thing they need to focus on is the defensive structure. We get our defense in order then we can build on that and fix other things. Our middles are not moving up enough, they are weak. We give opposing teams way too much ground and to make it worse our discipline is out of control which compounds more penalties and more meters gained by opposing teams. We got no idea
Correct - as was the case last year n the year before the middle doesnt compete the full 80 - whether it is fatigue due to repeated errors, conditioning, strength, techniques or lack of ability i cannot tell. But it is obvious other teams dominate with n without the ball

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes true....but most of the problem is how flat we stand in attack and aren't in motion when we receive the ball. The good Cronulla try Hynes set up they were deep and the player getting the ball was in motion. We stand much flatter in attack and don't start moving till we receive the ball. Hynes and Finucane have bought the Melbourne attacking system...of every player in motion ...to the Sharks....who already had that system anyway...of standing deeper and receiving the pass in motion, so they are a good fit.
Also the Sharks go to ground when it's obvious forward momentum is stopped to achieve a quick play the ball....we stupidly stand up dancing on the spot, losing all forward momentum and allowing the opposition defence to set again. Sharks killed us all night in average metres per set because of this.
As I've said our problems are so numerous you could be mistaken for asking...Are we actually being coached at all? Or maybe it's a case of the Seibold experiment with the Broncos repeated....where the Broncos players had absolutely no idea wtf Seibold was trying to say. Is that Barrett's problem?...He's not getting his message across? If that's the case it's incumbent on Gould to step in. The Club expect no less.
You have nailed it with this post.
Your attention to the finer 1% details is the same as mine. I cant understand why this club cannot see it or acknowledge it and fix.

I get the impression they love playing 80-90s style footy when the game has left them...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Correct - as was the case last year n the year before the middle doesnt compete the full 80 - whether it is fatigue due to repeated errors, conditioning, strength, techniques or lack of ability i cannot tell. But it is obvious other teams dominate with n without the ball
Most times it's due to long periods without the ball, sometimes caused by our own errors but mostly because we get flogged in the penalty count. Does anyone really believe that our defense wouldn't be 100% better if we had the benefit of the penalty count 9 to 1?

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still prefer JOK gets first crack, but otherwise my choice would be Burns. He actually looked eager to impress -perhaps alittle too eager
They're all soft and slow. I'd probably go Allen.. based on skill.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're all soft and slow. I'd probably go Allen.. based on skill.
I have visions of Allen being held in tackles and either bundled over the sideline or driven back 15m or even into the ingoal. I then jave visions of his face when he gets up.

No thanks. Its JOK, Naden or Burns for me.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Could the Captain's Challenge, on that occasion been used, or has Jacko given up on any meaningful leadership?

By that I mean ...before the video ref tried to cover the refs back.
I’ve never seen JJ challenge well usually he lets DWZ decide for him

Munster challenge the other day was awesome

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Most times it's due to long periods without the ball, sometimes caused by our own errors but mostly because we get flogged in the penalty count. Does anyone really believe that our defense wouldn't be 100% better if we had the benefit of the penalty count 9 to 1?

Always a Bulldog
Was that the penalty count?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
why is everyone saying the storm game will be a loss? they are more beatable than previous years, I reckon we could go 3 from 3 from the opening 3 games
I’d say we are a better chance of beating Canberra than Melbourne. Canberra has a few long term injuries / guys returning and are fairly ill disciplined. Melbourne should still be top 4 or close this year.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’d say we are a better chance of beating Canberra than Melbourne. Canberra has a few long term injuries / guys returning and are fairly ill disciplined. Melbourne should still be top 4 or close this year.
agree now with no 7 raiders are even more beatable

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
storm have lost a fair chunk of experience they wont be the same tough team this season

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
why is everyone saying the storm game will be a loss? they are more beatable than previous years, I reckon we could go 3 from 3 from the opening 3 games
Melbourne broke almost every record in the book last year and looked set to go back to back, they’ve lost a winger and a lock that only played like 10 games for them last year and the game is in Melbourne. Worry about beating the bottom 4 teams before banking W’s against the top 4 teams.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
storm have lost a fair chunk of experience they wont be the same tough team this season
Yeah they have lost a bit of quality but spine is still mint and a strong forward pack. Not to mention one of the most successful coaches in the game. Pretty hard to see them finishing much off the top 4.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah they have lost a bit of quality but spine is still mint and a strong forward pack. Not to mention one of the most successful coaches in the game. Pretty hard to see them finishing much off the top 4.
equal if not best spine in the comp, will be definitely top4

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
all it takes is to lose paps again and they'll have to use meaney at fb