September - The month of the Bulldog

Status
Not open for further replies.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
With the mighty Canterbury Bulldogs making the semi finals 26 times in the last 40 years , this is our time of the year . Can you feel it ? The wind blows from another direction , the days and nights are warmer and the intensity lifts to another level . Our very proud club , 79 years young was built on strength and mateship - success and honour . Captain Kickass has wound me up - if he were our General - I would follow him into battle , just like our boys will follow Major Ennis and co . Fire up , the blue and white needs you !

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just hope Turvey , baa and a few of the old heads are around this week giving the boys a talk

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Baa is always around . My mates got a photo with Turvey and his brother Peter in one of the pubs before the game on saturday night

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No matter what happens this Saturday, this season has been a success in my eyes.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hmm im a bit skeptical about success, we were great before SOO then a slum, but back in form when we need the most - finals footy

Nevertheless, im happy to be in the position where we are now

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. When we're good we're a machine. Unrelentless, unstoppable. What is it about Des that he can transform these guys in the space of a week? How many broken doors are there in the sheds?

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Id fall to shit if I met Turvey,
when i was working in auburn some years ago, i went to the servo next door to get some food. unbeknownst to me turvey was standing right behind me waiting to be served. as i turned around to leave, we brushed shoulders. i looked back, noticed him, then froze. i didnt know what to do lol. so in fear of mumbling up my words, i just left. im such a wuss :(

i met baa a few weeks ago and got a couple of footy cards signed. i was shaking like a leaf ffs.

Yeah, me too. When we're good we're a machine. Unrelentless, unstoppable. What is it about Des that he can transform these guys in the space of a week? How many broken doors are there in the sheds?
that was a set up though.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Baa is always around . My mates got a photo with Turvey and his brother Peter in one of the pubs before the game on saturday night
Baa literally lives down the road from me. We share the same watering hole lol

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We usually rise another level this time of year. I doubted we would after such mediocrity the second half of this season, but the boys have blown one of the best teams of the last decade off the park, and fought out a tough win against another.

I have a good feeling about the end of the season now. Panthers still worry me a bit with how they've kept winning, but I can see them crumbling under the pressure. Most of them probably haven't played in front of 50-60,000, whereas most of our guys played in a GF 2 years ago.

I just got tickets to the game and can't wait. It's also my 1000th post on TK. Carrnnnn the dogs. Knock off Penrith and would love to beat the cocks for the title, but would prefer Souths to make it.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'd rather October be the month of the Bulldog.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The most important month will be October hopefully. And hope we turn that month into year of the bulldog

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we only progress as far as this final against the Panthers it won't be because anyone lacked in effort. I'd love to demolish both our remaining opponents in a similar style to the Melbourne win, but if it is an arm wrestle in the final minutes you know we're up for that. The Panthers are well coached and have unpredictability on their side, and they had the week off which can be good or bad. They've gone into this fortnight with all guns blazing as far as talking things up in the media goes. Maybe they are trying to drum up crowd support, maybe they're trying to bolster their courage. Either way I hope they end up with egg on their faces. We're desperately hiding under this little radar still. In our favor they've got loads less finals experience and many will be under more pressure to perform than they have faced before. Getting his teams mentally prepared for pressure finals is the one thing Cleary has not yet achieved and hopefully our boys monster the spirit out of their youthful squad.

Where i think we are at an advantage is in the way we have played all year. It was good football for the most part, but somewhat lacking in excitement. We did not destroy a lot of teams in our regular season campaign, but we mastered the art of applying pressure for long periods. We followed a simple game plan. Roll forward using our massive and skilful pack, then aim for kicks that we may score or get a repeat set from. While our forwards have developed some nice structures to assist with second phase play. We've aimed for repeat sets all year mostly though, and Reynolds even worked out how to gain one without needing to roll it in goal last week. If we get these repeat sets and the referee doesn't call a lot of stoppages our big forwards leave their opponents in the dust. If we play disciplined and avoid having the refs hurt us, i think we'll steamroll the cats at the end. Early in the season we were dominating possession and finishing with two or three tries in the last 20 minutes. Our strength can also be a disadvantage at times in this match. Segeyaro has embarrassed plenty of big tired forwards this year and will be looking to do so again this weekend. I'm not sure how you shut him out of games but Hasler will need to have a plan in place to nullify him. If we give Soward time to line up his kicks he can do some damage and he has a decent running game when he wants to use it. Their forward pack is not the greatest, but they have everything to prove and will be hell bent on coming out on top. 1-5 are pretty strong for them in attack too but do have some defensive issues we can exploit.

We should beat them but i truly hope that this game is not decided by bad refereeing calls. If we won or lost a game based on a bad call it will leave a sour taste in my mouth. Mostly because i think we'll be on the wrong side of it if it happens, but i know that the media will have a field day with negative articles if the refs actually won a game for us. We used to thrive at this time of year and despite limping out of the finals last year and into them this year, i think the side has the right mindset to take all comers. We are the little engine that could. The NRL's script never had us penned in to go this far, so i hope we have two more wins in the tank. It'd be nice to rub the faces of guys like Gould and co in the dirt after their bias recently. 9 years without a premiership for the dogs is about as long as i can stand. I'll be proud of the effort even if we don't make it into the GF but Hasler still seems pretty confident so i'll expect the side to give these last 1 or t2 games a real shake.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Baa literally lives down the road from me. We share the same watering hole lol
Baa is always at Cabramatta Golf Club, see him when we are playing poker that my mates hold there. Always great for a chat or photo.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Baa is always at Cabramatta Golf Club, see him when we are playing poker that my mates hold there. Always great for a chat or photo.
Very down to earth and loves a yarn.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Im sure we used to go to Cabramatta Golf Club as young fellas

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what it is about Belmore, but they say "success is in the walls of that place", so it stands to reason it's the mould in the dark crevices.

It comes to life each Spring and like the familiar smell of cut grass, creates a smell of success that the squad breathes in.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what it is about Belmore, but they say "success is in the walls of that place", so it stands to reason it's the mould in the dark crevices.

It comes to life each Spring and like the familiar smell of cut grass, creates a smell of success that the squad breathes in.
As soon as we smashed the Storm I immediately got ' that 'ol September feeling " . Im so pumped up !

Status
Not open for further replies.