Senior NRL players double down on strike threat

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Nothing is off the table’: Senior NRL players double down on strike threat ‘Nothing is off the table’: Senior NRL players double down on strike threat
Senior NRL players have doubled down on threats of strike action, declaring “nothing is off the table” in order to get what they want.

The governing body and player's association appear to be at loggerheads over a collective bargaining agreement, just 6 weeks before round one.

Senior NRL players have doubled down on strike action remaining a real possibility with the pre-season competition just six days away.
Negotiations between the NRL and RLPA over the collective bargaining agreement have turned ugly in recent months and there is no resolution in sight.
The spat went public late last year when players started publicly slamming the governing body and accused senior officials of disrespecting them.

Kangaroos star Harry Grant ignited controversy with his comments at the World Cup in November, before Broncos veteran Kurt Capewell dropped a bombshell in January. Capewell said the players are willing to strike - unprecedented in the NRL era - and accused the NRL of failing to make a sincere effort to listen to the players.
Abdo fiercely rejected that notion this week, but the threat of strike action has become a significantly more realistic problem for the NRL with games scheduled next week. Raiders stars Josh Papali’i and Joe Tapine are the latest players to speak out on the fight this week, with both telling foxsports.com.au “nothing is off the table”.
The major sticking points in the negotiations are the players want “a seat at the table” with decisions that impact their work conditions.

Examples include if the season changes length, if fines are increased, or if policies relating to drug use and criminal proceedings are being changed.
“You can’t sit in a company that’s not willing to look after you,” Papali’i told foxsports.com.au.

“You want to do your best and put your best foot forward and we just want to be treated fairly at the end of the day.
“We sacrifice our bodies to entertain the public and not everyone is going to agree with what we’re trying to do here, but it’s for the players safety and it does make it a better place at the end of the day.
“But if the NRL don’t see it that way then like other players have said, nothing is off the table and all players are on the same page.”
The RLPA also wants an increased minimum wage, higher match fees and better private health care in retirement.
The average salary in the NRL is around $370,000 - but that figure is skewed because the big money is earned by a minority of players.
The median salary - the player in the 50th percentile pay bracket - earns around $200,000 less than the average, according to the RLPA.
That means half of NRL players earn less than $175,000 per season, while the average first-grade career lasts just 45 games.

The RLPA wants a new medical support fund because under the current CBA, players’ surgeries and rehabilitation costs are only covered for 12 months after they retire.
“It’s a short career and most players have to go work after it and they’re going to have to work with injuries that were caused by playing footy,” Papali’i said.
“The players are all on the same page and the NRL have to come to some solid terms that the players are happy with and we’ll be sorted.
“The RLPA has the backing of all the players. We’re slowly get there, it’s a progress, but it’s far from sorted.”
NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo and RLPA boss Clint Newton were locked in lengthy in-person negotiations for a third straight day on Thursday.
Those discussions centred around the women’s CBA, which is expected to be finalised on Friday. Attention will then return to resolving the NRL players’ issues before the trials.

A players leadership conference will take place on Friday and Saturday, before the ‘Pre-season Challenge’ kicks off next Thursday.
Canberra and Kiwi star Tapine echoed Papali’i and reminded the NRL that without players, there is no game.
“We just want our voices heard because we are a big part of that NRL brand, we just want a seat at the table,” Tapine said.
“It’s just about having a voice at the table and actually having a say and having the NRL understand that.

“The players are together on this, we do have thoughts on the game and we need to have a proper discussion with where the game is going.”
Tapine, who finished last year as one of the best players in the world, is an RLPA delegate at the Raiders and was asked by foxsports.com.au if he was willing to strike if necessary.
“We don’t want to get to that stage but everything is on the table at the moment,” Tapine
“It’s a bit above my pay grade, I’m just starting my journey in that space (as a delegate) but it’s definitely a journey I want to learn more about.
“For me it’s about being more involved with what’s going on instead of just cruising through life.
“You’re not going to be playing footy forever, that’s life and sometimes players don’t realise it until you’re actually out in the wild.
“I just signed this new contract and after it I’ll be 33 or 34, so that’s a huge focus for the next four to five years, trying to figure out what I’m passionate about away from footy.
“It’s pretty hard when you’re right in the middle of your career and playing good footy. You just want to be playing good footy and you want to live in the moment, but it is a daunting feeling thinking you’ve only got four or five years in the game.
“What are you going to do for that 20 years? It’s daunting for a lot of players.
“It felt like last year I debuted and it’s been nine or 10 years. I’m getting to be one of the older boys in the group and trying to teach these boys about life outside of footy is hard when you’re not certain yourself on what you’re going to do.”

The 40-year-old emphasised rugby league players pay a significant price with their bodies and doesn’t believe the current fight is about money.
“The players aren’t being greedy, first and foremost,” Parker said.
“I’m not involved in the four walls these days but just looking back to when I was playing, all you want is a fair hearing.
“Players still want that, I don’t think it’s to do with getting more money, they just want different terms and conditions.
“It’s a taxing sport, rugby league. I played it for 16-odd years. Your body is not the same when you first started.
“I’m not blaming the game for that, that’s part and parcel of it, I knew what I was signing up for but that’s also not to say there shouldn’t be some things in favour of the players.”

It's called a "Collective Bargaining Agreement" but the NRL seems reluctant to get together into a "collective", to do any "bargaining" and they seem uninterested in reaching an "agreement".

Always a Bulldog

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've been a union delegate. Whoever is holding the power are generally reluctant to give any of it up. Not surprised that the NRL are pushing things towards strike action over something like medical issues.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the players are never happy no matter how much they earn and it passes me off when we go through this every year.

But I have to agree with them on medical costs associated with ongoing injuries after retirement.

Surely the NRL can have a kitty specifically for medical assistance

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nein and Fox Sports surely will be putting enough pressure on the NRL/ARLC's heads so they won't let the strike happen. If it does, it (should be) Abdo's head.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do they do this in other sporting codes like soccer and NFL? I know they're paid significantly better but do they have a medical fund that covers their injuries?

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Has there been a reveal of what exactly the players are asking for ?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the players are entitled to fight for what they think they deserve, and i hope that they do have a say in how the game is played. But reading this article i cant help but think they need to harden the fuck up as well. They act as if they are the only ones that sacrifice their bodies in order to earn a living. What about a brickie or carpenter who lays bricks or builds houses for 40 years and can barely move when they retire, but earns a 1/4 of what these guys earn? Do these guys get a medical retirement fund?
Football players have an opportunity to set themselves up for life financially through their social profile and high income, but then cry poor saying, "we only have a 10 year career" seriously guys, get your fucking head in the real world and then tell me that your football career is tough.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
With the amount of serious injuries and brain damage most players sustain that cause issues after their careers are finished, do you blame them for wanting more?

Being 30+ years old and moving around like a crab with thinking problems isn't easy and has a price, they get paid more than other professions like mine by my profession is something I can do into my 70s if the brain holds up well.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the players are entitled to fight for what they think they deserve, and i hope that they do have a say in how the game is played. But reading this article i cant help but think they need to harden the fuck up as well. They act as if they are the only ones that sacrifice their bodies in order to earn a living. What about a brickie or carpenter who lays bricks or builds houses for 40 years and can barely move when they retire, but earns a 1/4 of what these guys earn? Do these guys get a medical retirement fund?
Football players have an opportunity to set themselves up for life financially through their social profile and high income, but then cry poor saying, "we only have a 10 year career" seriously guys, get your fucking head in the real world and then tell me that your football career is tough.
I get the part about the labourers who break their bodies but they can still do things after the age of 40, seeing how some footy players who aren't even at the top level struggle in their 30s with work, money, physical and mental aspects tells you enough about this game especially giving up all that time to try and make it with the possibility of getting nowhere in it (looking at wanna be musicians and artists here too lol)...

There is nothing wrong with being a labourer but there becomes a point in that type of career where you think I should study/train more to expand my options as say laying bricks only gets you so far after 10-40 years, footy players do a lot of physical training, amass injuries and brain damage, etc which is their sacrifice to demanding the money that's available to them in that business.

I have done 2x degrees and 1x masters in Mechanical Engineering thats cost me around 10 years of my time with study and a hefty hex debt, but now I am earning well enough to be more than comfortable while also amassing very useful skills people pay good money for, that's part of my sacrifice so a labourer can make some sacrifices to better than themselves too, if they don't that's just being lazy or not wanting to push yourself to be better and do more in life...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get the part about the labourers who break their bodies but they can still do things after the age of 40, seeing how some footy players who aren't even at the top level struggle in their 30s with work, money, physical and mental aspects tells you enough about this game especially giving up all that time to try and make it with the possibility of getting nowhere in it (looking at wanna be musicians and artists here too lol)...

There is nothing wrong with being a labourer but there becomes a point in that type of career where you think I should study/train more to expand my options as say laying bricks only gets you so far after 10-40 years, footy players do a lot of physical training, amass injuries and brain damage, etc which is their sacrifice to demanding the money that's available to them in that business.

I have done 2x degrees and 1x masters in Mechanical Engineering thats cost me around 10 years of my time with study and a hefty hex debt, but now I am earning well enough to be more than comfortable while also amassing very useful skills people pay good money for, that's part of my sacrifice so a labourer can make some sacrifices to better than themselves too, if they don't that's just being lazy or not wanting to push yourself to be better and do more in life...
You last line can also be said for footballers. Sorry, but i just dont feel sorry for them. They are paid well to play a game they love. There is no real sacrifice in that.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
they know exactly what they are signing for either shut up and play or find another sport.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cant say iv read everything or listened to every interview but i struggle to work out exactly what the details of what the players want - all iv read/ heard are vague statements about better/ more/ for post career needs - which is fair but how much n how is it funded?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cant say iv read everything or listened to every interview but i struggle to work out exactly what the details of what the players want - all iv read/ heard are vague statements about better/ more/ for post career needs - which is fair but how much n how is it funded?
There are a number of issues that the RLPA has been chasing with the NRL for years without any action being taken to fix the problems. The players have simply run out of patience. A few examples;

1. A player is only covered by the NRL Workers Comp insurance for 1 year after they stop playing. Which means if a player needs several operations that can't be undertaken at the same time then they may well not have their problems fixed. For example there is player with a busted leg, needs ankle, knee and hip surgery. They can't all be done in the one year due to the rehab time in between, so he has to choose which operation, get the ankle fixed but not the knee.

2. The 1 year as above applies to all players, whether they have played 1 NRL game or 300 NRL games, they all get the same 1 year, after that tough luck.

3. Players on Development Contracts aren't covered by the above, they are only covered while their Contract is current. If a Development Player has a career ending injury, bad luck, his medical insurance stops when his contract stops. This one of the reasons why the RLPA wants the Top 30 to be increased to Top 40 to include what would be previously described as Development Players.

4. Players on Development Contracts can't get a loan to buy a car, rent a unit etc because they can be terminated at any time. Which is another reason why the RLPA wants Top 40, with a contract for a year the players can lead a reasonably normal life while they try and develop their playing career. It's a reason why so many players don't make the step up to NRL level, too much external pressure.

5. The RLPA wants to negotiate the CBA directly with the NRL, not be made to talk to an external consultant who was only engaged for the single task of talking to the RLPA. Someone who has no authority to negotiate anything, who is nothing more than a messenger.

There are more, but the CAP money isn't one of them.

Always a Bulldog

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are a number of issues that the RLPA has been chasing with the NRL for years without any action being taken to fix the problems. The players have simply run out of patience. A few examples;

1. A player is only covered by the NRL Workers Comp insurance for 1 year after they stop playing. Which means if a player needs several operations that can't be undertaken at the same time then they may well not have their problems fixed. For example there is player with a busted leg, needs ankle, knee and hip surgery. They can't all be done in the one year due to the rehab time in between, so he has to choose which operation, get the ankle fixed but not the knee.

2. The 1 year as above applies to all players, whether they have played 1 NRL game or 300 NRL games, they all get the same 1 year, after that tough luck.

3. Players on Development Contracts aren't covered by the above, they are only covered while their Contract is current. If a Development Player has a career ending injury, bad luck, his medical insurance stops when his contract stops. This one of the reasons why the RLPA wants the Top 30 to be increased to Top 40 to include what would be previously described as Development Players.

4. Players on Development Contracts can't get a loan to buy a car, rent a unit etc because they can be terminated at any time. Which is another reason why the RLPA wants Top 40, with a contract for a year the players can lead a reasonably normal life while they try and develop their playing career. It's a reason why so many players don't make the step up to NRL level, too much external pressure.

5. The RLPA wants to negotiate the CBA directly with the NRL, not be made to talk to an external consultant who was only engaged for the single task of talking to the RLPA. Someone who has no authority to negotiate anything, who is nothing more than a messenger.

Always a Bulldog
Makes sense n seems fair

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Thanks for that.

If it wasn't for podcasts and independent content creators I don't think the fans would have any idea why the RLPA is doing this. The media only put out stories on the players wanting more money.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

NRL executives facing sack over secret recording pay dispute scandal

Players are reported to be angry and a senior NRL executive could be sacked as the league vows to investigate secret recordings.

Peter V’landys has promised to investigate allegations senior NRL executives tried to illegally record a private meeting between players and NRL CEO Andrew Abdo.

The parties met in an attempt to end rugby league’s pay war and the stand-off over the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, as players consider strike action.

But Players Union chair Diedre Anderson emailed V’landys to alert him of the attempted secret recording that could see two senior executives lose their jobs.

The incident is alleged to have happened last Friday when players and Rugby League Players Association staff met Abdo at a leadership conference organised by the RLPA in Sydney.

The Daily Telegraph reports Melbourne Storm centre Justin Olam spotted a female NRL executive allegedly attempting to record the opening minutes of Abdo’s discussion with the players.

Abdo reportedly told the Australian Rugby League Commission he wasn’t aware of the executive’s alleged attempts to record and he didn’t direct her to do so. The female NRL executive is believed to have left the room once Olam and other players realised she was trying to record in a breach of confidence. The female executive has denied she was recording the meeting, claiming she was just preparing to record Abdo’s statement to the players.

Anderson’s letter said “that upon arrival, Andrew (Abdo) was accompanied by (an NRL employee) … this was disappointing given (the employee) was not invited, nor had Andrew given any forewarning that (the employee) would be attending.” “Nevertheless, RLPA management (with the consent of player leaders), allowed (the employee) to sit in on Andrew’s discussion out of respect for (their) role ... To ensure an open and honest environment for Andrew and the players, no filming or recording of this session was permitted and no media representatives were present. “What then followed is nothing short of illegal which, on its face, seriously calls into question the integrity of the NRL, its executive and its culture. I am instructed that a player (who I will not name), raised concerns with RLPA staff that (the employee) was covertly recording the session on (their) phone. The player raised the concern based on their understanding that attendees were not permitted to record these discussions.

“An RLPA staff member queried with (the official) as to whether (they were) recording, which (the official) denied (twice). Upon further inquiry by the staff member, (they) lifted (their) phone (which was face down) and realised that the screen clearly showed that a recording was taking place. (They) then asked to speak to the staff member outside, and the two left the room in full view of all players in attendance.

“Once outside, (the official) admitted to recording the conversation and acknowledged it was inappropriate for (them) to be doing so. Further, (the employee) stated that (they) had been acting under the instruction of another NRL executive. After the session, (RPLA CEO) Clint (Newton) addressed the matter separately with (the official) and Andrew, and advised that the playing group and the RLPA are aware of the incident due to the public nature of what unfolded, and that the RLPA will need to appropriately consider our options with next steps given the seriousness of the matter.

“Now I don’t feel I need to state how concerning these actions were. The deliberate and covert nature of the recording is breathtaking. It is immoral, unethical and illegal. There was no consent granted to record. In fact, no attempt to seek consent occurred.” NRL players are said to be angry, given if it was the other way around they attempted to secretly record a meeting, they could have been harshly sanctioned. Cowboys halfback and RLPA delegate Chad Townsend tweeted as much on Tuesday: “Hopefully NRL Integrity Unit onto this....”

ARLC chairman V‘landys told News Corp he would investigate the incident. “I have had a call from the RLPA chair and a player rep, and I gave them a commitment I would look into it.”

FMD, seriously, the NRL are really farkin this up, I don't believe that they understand just how serious the RLPA is about getting a proper CBA this time.

Always a Bulldog