Scruffy but some good signs

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Although we were lucky that there was a technical offside with that last try, we had 2 tries taken off us. Averillo clearly did ground the ball before it got stripped and the pass from Burton was flat, not forward.

I think there were some really good signs there. Burton’s kicking game was nearly perfect, although there were a couple of errors which will become less frequent as he improves. He has the ability to do floaters and spiralling bombs which makes the opposing fullback have to try really hard not to drop the ball on our fifth tackle kick. That’s the first time in a long time we have the ability to do anything other than an easy end over end kick. Also, the fact that he can convert won us that game. It’s nice having someone who can actually convert.
Overall the boys did well for their first game, and they will get better the more they play

Keen to hear anyone else’s comments

Last edited:

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How were we lucky with a “technical offside”? He was offside? It’s just facts.
What I mean is that the offside had nothing substantively to do with Dufty being out jumped. It was a complete fluke that someone happened to be offside. The offside had no impact on our teams failure to stop that try. We got exposed there

silva

Utility
Reaction score
What I mean is that the offside had nothing substantively to do with Dufty being out jumped. It was a complete fluke that someone happened to be offside. The offside had no impact on our teams failure to stop that try. We got exposed there
That try was a massive fluke to begin with. He was offside so it’s clear cut penalty

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Burton was outstanding. His control and composure for a young player is scary. He will be in the origin team this year

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We won't be challenging for the premiership this year and There's alot of improvements needed, however it's a step in the right direction, this teams had such a losing mentality over the last 5 years so it's not gonna change overnight. Any wins a good win at this stage and we'll be better for it in the long run.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton was outstanding. His control and composure for a young player is scary. He will be in the origin team this year
Fully agree and he’s apart of an up and coming side his only going to get better and better.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That was a win that was part luck, but also enhanced by the fact that we only let one try in. I feel like last season we'd have let in 2-3. Plenty in here will say the cowboys aren't a threat, but we lost plenty of games to non threatening teams last year.

Plenty of improvement is needed, but a win is something to be happy about whether it's by 2 points or 30.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I called that try offside before the ref awarded it, but expected the usual six points to go to the Cowboys because they are not the Bulldogs. The Bunker decision was a total surprise.

OK - we were penalised 8-2 in the first half, had the usual sin binning, and only concede one try. In the second half, we had more ball, and showed grit and determination to stop the Cowboys scoring - full marks for that.

However, we were pathetic in attack. Caught out too often with no idea what to do next. The attack is still the same as last year - a total vacuum at halfback and dummy half. We have a decent front line, and a good back line, but nothing to serve them.

I'm almost ready to join the sack Barrett team, even though we won.

Broncos will murder us.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although we were lucky that there was a technical offside with that last try, we had 2 tries taken off us. Averillo clearly did ground the ball before it got stripped and the pass from Burton was flat, not forward.

I think there were some really good signs there. Burton’s kicking game was nearly perfect, although there were a couple of errors which will become less frequent as he improves. He has the ability to do floaters and spiralling bombs which makes the opposing fullback have to try really hard not to drop the ball on our fifth tackle kick. That’s the first time in a long time we have the ability to do anything other than an easy end over end kick. Also, the fact that he can convert won us that game. It’s nice having someone who can actually convert.
Overall the boys did well for their first game, and they will get better the more they play

Keen to hear anyone else’s comments
Our bench forwards and Burtons boot were the only difference between 2021 Bulldogs and this side. 2021 Bulldogs would have been beaten tonight.
Max King looks to be the best value for money buy provided he stays fit.
All the new guys were solid without being spectacular. Vaughan was probably the worst out of them tonight but he was solid if you take those couple errors out.
TPJ in for Waddell and I would say Patolo misses out.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was a win that was part luck, but also enhanced by the fact that we only let one try in. I feel like last season we'd have let in 2-3. Plenty in here will say the cowboys aren't a threat, but we lost plenty of games to non threatening teams last year.

Plenty of improvement is needed, but a win is something to be happy about whether it's by 2 points or 30.
Best for and against we've had in half a decade. And we're ahead of the Bunnies and Sea Eagles.

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Burton is playing both 6 and 7 at the moment and carrying the team.

Avo, whilst he has a long way to go, is still better than all the other crap we have had at 7.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I called that try offside before the ref awarded it, but expected the usual six points to go to the Cowboys because they are not the Bulldogs. The Bunker decision was a total surprise.

OK - we were penalised 8-2 in the first half, had the usual sin binning, and only concede one try. In the second half, we had more ball, and showed grit and determination to stop the Cowboys scoring - full marks for that.

However, we were pathetic in attack. Caught out too often with no idea what to do next. The attack is still the same as last year - a total vacuum at halfback and dummy half. We have a decent front line, and a good back line, but nothing to serve them.

I'm almost ready to join the sack Barrett team, even though we won.

Broncos will murder us.
Disagree tough conditions we had a few disallowed tries but we moved the ball better and shape is improving. If they can build more confidence the combinations will improve