Scott Bolton’s walk of shame to educate players as NRL begins toughest crackdown in history

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isnt there a thing called "double jeopardy". I think it means you cant be punished twice for the one thing.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep... brushed/touched.

The agreed facts state the woman was sitting alone on a sofa and using her mobile phone when Bolton gave her a high-five to get her attention. He "slumped down" next to her but she moved along the seat "in an attempt to distance herself" and tried to leave by pushing past Bolton's legs. "Whilst doing so the accused reached forward, touching the victim's upper thigh," the facts state. The woman then approached bar staff. The entire incident was captured on CCTV.
Bolton was interviewed by police and identified himself in the video but was "unable to elaborate on full details". His inability to recall the night's events appear to be related to his level of intoxication at the time of the offence, the facts state.
Joke.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
So why isn't the so-called Australian Captain doing the same thing in regards to drink driving??

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isnt there a thing called "double jeopardy". I think it means you cant be punished twice for the one thing.
Double jepardy is that you can't be put on trial for the crime if found NOT GUILTY the first time.

it is an an American thing. Not sure if we have similar laws in Australia.

Or a game show.

Who Knows............................................

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The unique penalty is about the Cowboys enforcer taking ownership and responsibility for his actions which will now be used to warn other players of the perils of bad behaviour.
However embarrassing, Bolton’s tour of shame will save him from a much heftier NRL imposed 10-match ban. He is still, however, facing the six-week suspension.
Owning up to and taking responsibility for your actions is something that someone who understands that they have crossed the line should do. Might shock some of the players into knowing that their actions have consequences and that being a high profile sportsman does not mean you get a free pass.

Why would it be a tour of shame? Everyone already knows what he has done as it was well publicized and from reactions from footy players in regards to other incidents that have occurred in the off season they won't be shaming him. They will still play in the same team as him and against him irrespective of his actions.

What I think is wrong in this is the fact that he gets time off his originally thought of penalty of a 10 week ban.

** Reading an article published shows that his total punishment will now be 2.5% of his 2019 income and five matches.......
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5931643/sharks-handed-reduced-fine-salary-cap-penalty-diluted/

The NRL has also suspended Scott Bolton for 10 weeks and fined him five per cent of his 2019 salary after pleading guilty in January to common assault involving a woman last year.

But the NRL will halve the penalty if the Cowboys forward agrees to address the captains and senior players of all other teams during this year’s Magic Round in Brisbane in May.

Last edited:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Owning up to and taking responsibility for your actions is something that someone who understands that they have crossed the line should do. Might shock some of the players into knowing that their actions have consequences and that being a high profile sportsman does not mean you get a free pass.

Why would it be a tour of shame? Everyone already knows what he has done as it was well publicized and from reactions from footy players in regards to other incidents that have occurred in the off season they won't be shaming him. They will still play in the same team as him and against him irrespective of his actions.

What I think is wrong in this is the fact that he gets time off his originally thought of penalty of a 10 week ban.
I wouldn't be comfortable knowing that I'm now the poster boy of the bad boy of league, infact most sports because of a silly mistake i made outside of my worktime. Apology and contrition is sufficient.

Contracts should have clauses in them to detract this behavior and im sure they do.

The poor bloke has been humiliated tremendously already. Enough is enough.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Double jepardy is that you can't be put on trial for the crime if found NOT GUILTY the first time.

it is an an American thing. Not sure if we have similar laws in Australia.

Or a game show.

Who Knows............................................
I think the legislation also says you cant be punished twice for the same offence.
However it seems to mainly apply to the Court system.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the legislation also says you cant be punished twice for the same offence.
However it seems to mainly apply to the Court system.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/explaining-double-jeopardy-20180810-p4zwpl.html

"Double jeopardy: the prosecution or punishment of a person twice for the same offence.

But most states and territories in Australia have in recent times changed the laws that prevent double jeopardy, to allow someone to be tried twice for an offence in exceptional circumstances."

Mainly an American thing these days.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn't be comfortable knowing that I'm now the poster boy of the bad boy of league, infact most sports because of a silly mistake i made outside of my worktime. Apology and contrition is sufficient.

Contracts should have clauses in them to detract this behavior and im sure they do.

The poor bloke has been humiliated tremendously already. Enough is enough.
That is another way of looking at it and the lesson is ...if you don't get yourself into these situations you won't have to face the music and that goes for any player....the education put in place for players is obviously not sinking in and the level of stupidity comes from both the experienced and inexperienced.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is that punishment , no matter what poeople think the level of crime was , it warranted to go to court , he pled guilty

They call it the NRL crackdown , but Mitch Pearce the Dofus got much more for the vid with a dog , which was not illegal , was not taken to court etc ...
The NRL Hand out punishments according to how many days the telegraph publish stories on the incident. If you notice Sydney clubs tend to cop greater punishments than interstate ... Andrew geee anyone ( we won't investigate the broncos as he resigned ) ...