Scott Bolton’s walk of shame to educate players as NRL begins toughest crackdown in history

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph

an hour ago

Subscriber only

The biggest crackdown on player behaviour in rugby league history begins on Thursday with North Queensland Cowboys veteran Scott Bolton facing the game’s most bizarre punishment.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Bolton not only faces a six-week suspension but an embarrassing tour of shame around the 16 NRL clubs to show the CCTV footage of him assaulting a woman in a bar last year.

The unique penalty is about the Cowboys enforcer taking ownership and responsibility for his actions which will now be used to warn other players of the perils of bad behaviour.
However embarrassing, Bolton’s tour of shame will save him from a much heftier NRL imposed 10-match ban. He is still, however, facing the six-week suspension.

Bolton pleaded guilty in January to the common assault of a female in a Bondi bar where he was drinking with teammates. The 31-year-old escaped a conviction.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and the integrity unit have watched the CCTV footage and believe there is an educational opportunity across the game about the treatment of women.
Bolton will on Thursday become the game’s first victim of tougher disciplinary measures in light of the code’s off-season of shameful behaviour.

A meeting of the independent commission is expected to rub accused rapist Jack de Belin out of the game indefinitely.

Greenberg met with the St George Illawarra forward on Wednesday to see whether the Blues Origin forward would stand down of his own accord. De Belin — who has pleaded not guilty to the charge — declined.

The situation got uglier when lawyers acting for de Belin threatened legal action against independent commission chairman Peter Beattie over his comments on the case.

Beattie was served with a legal letter from Wollongong lawyer Craig Osborne, accusing the ARLC boss of potential contempt of court and defamation against de Belin.
Beattie would not comment when contacted by The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday night.

The NRL is still considering its position on Manly Sea Eagles centre Dylan Walker, who faced court on Tuesday on domestic violence charges in which he allegedly pulled his fiancee Alexandra Ivkovic’s hair, causing her to fall down onto concrete. She then called police and fled to a neighbour’s house.

Walker has not been at Manly training since his court case. He too could be rubbed out until his court proceedings have been completed.

Canterbury Bulldogs new signing Dylan Napa is expected to start the season despite his lewd ‘Big Papi’ sex tape scandal. Instead the former Roosters star is facing a fine of more than $50,000.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
^^^ Last Paragraph ^^^

Canterbury Bulldogs new signing Dylan Napa is expected to start the season despite his lewd ‘Big Papi’ sex tape scandal. Instead the former Roosters star is facing a fine of more than $50,000.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope the Napa part is nothing but rumours. The NRL should be getting down to the bottom of who recorded these in the first place and stick up for one of their own!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I bet the fine is suspended pending good behaviour.

LOL Scott Boltons punishment is a cracker. So 6 weeks to tour 16 clubs. Enjoy your holiday Scott :D

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish my employer would send me on a funded trip to all of our sites when I get something wrong...

Great punishment though, almost as good as Gould getting Jennings to hand out tickets to the crowd.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
seems like a punishment you would give to a child

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
NRLol headquarters wouldn't have enough corners to transform into naughty corners if they keep this up.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking lol, sounds like something Roy and HG would come up with. Make him wear a sandwich board with "I sexually assault women. Ask me about it"

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
absolutely fucking stupid punishment.
fines + suspension, life ban in that order... select what suits the crime and be done with it.
NRL employs people to engage in this type of education, make them do this shit... wankers have lost the plot.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would love to read the the blank piece of paper that is the NRL Player Misconduct Policy.
Flash you dick on over the web - nothing to see hear
Assault woman at bar - 6 weeks plus tour of other clubs, or 10 weeks if you don't want to tour.
Assault woman who is your partner/spouse - to be confirmed, maybe stand down, maybe not, maybe suspension, maybe not, maybe tour or maybe not.
Rape/Sexual assault woman - depends on public outcry, maybe stand down, maybe not, maybe suspension, maybe not, maybe tour or maybe not.

what a joke Greenberg.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
In fairness Scott's incident wasn't a huge one and he plead guilty to it. Got tanked and touched a woman on the thigh and immediately regretted it.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep he is gonna show all 15 clubs how bad his recording was compared to big papas, and how much better u can do with a friend getting close ups, yep teach the young blokes that. Your kicking goals tod. Bolton being 32 if i had made enough out of game already at his age. Id go on national news and tell greenburd to shove up his fucking arse.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ridiculous. It's a complete joke of a punishment. I'm sure Bolton is laughing his ass off about getting his suspension reduced. But what do we expect from a guy who writes references for drink driving woman beaters. Do other players who cop suspension for high tackles get the chance to reduce their sentence by touring and explaining how a high tackles is bad. We seriously need to get rid of the cancer running our game.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought. Are the players 5? What is the point of him touring the video? Pretty sure the players realise assaulting a woman is illegal and they shouldn't do it. I doubt their bizarre punishment will change a thing.

They are a circus the nrl. Not a very entertaining one though.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is the most stupid decision any governing body could ever contemplate. What about the rights of the individual?
Parading him around to other people is the most utter disgrace. This NRL administration really should find another vocation.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah the naughty school boy mentality for sure, he has already been punished by a NSW court, more than others get.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
In fairness Scott's incident wasn't a huge one and he plead guilty to it. Got tanked and touched a woman on the thigh and immediately regretted it.
Touched, rubbed or groped?
Fairdinkum, if touched, was it worth all this hoohaa from the victim?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Touched, rubbed or groped?
Fairdinkum, if touched, was it worth all this hoohaa from the victim?
Yep... brushed/touched.

The agreed facts state the woman was sitting alone on a sofa and using her mobile phone when Bolton gave her a high-five to get her attention. He "slumped down" next to her but she moved along the seat "in an attempt to distance herself" and tried to leave by pushing past Bolton's legs. "Whilst doing so the accused reached forward, touching the victim's upper thigh," the facts state. The woman then approached bar staff. The entire incident was captured on CCTV.
Bolton was interviewed by police and identified himself in the video but was "unable to elaborate on full details". His inability to recall the night's events appear to be related to his level of intoxication at the time of the offence, the facts state.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet the fine is suspended pending good behaviour.

LOL Scott Boltons punishment is a cracker. So 6 weeks to tour 16 clubs. Enjoy your holiday Scott :D
From https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/01/nrl-announce-sanctions/

The NRL has suspended Scott Bolton for 10 weeks and – and 5 per cent of his 2019 salary – after pleading guilty in January to common assault involving a woman last year.

However it has agreed to halve the penalty if Bolton agrees to address the captains and senior players of all other teams during this year’s Magic Round in Brisbane in May.

-----------------------------------

So no tour of all clubs, and only one presentation. Even easier. Wonder if they'll serve beers and pizza?