Science Stuff

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
As Kambah said, Alien Worlds is good. It theorises what life would be life on other planets and references life on earth. For example, they explain how life adapted to our atmospheric density and gravity and theorise about what life forms would be like if they were on a planet with different parameters. And they use some pretty decent 3D animation.

Another one is the new series of "Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey" hosted by Neil Degrasse Tyson, based on Carl Sagan's "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage". It was on Netflix, not sure if it still is

Also, Space Exploration, which is a free doco on Youtube but very well made (Full Documentary below)

Thanks for the recommendations Hacky, it gives me a few options to checkout. When I'm working alone, I play music or listen to podcasts but sometimes I like to put a documentary on the TV we got there and watch/listen to it in the background while at work. Just really interested in space, planets and life forces at the moment so trying to binge some docos revolved around those.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hated maths, but my maths teacher was actually one of the most respected teachers in the school, and THE teacher who I most respected across all level of education I've ever had. As a result, maths was the highest score I got on both my SC and HSC.
It's amazing what a difference a great teacher makes, mine were all shithouse, especially Maths, he was the Football Coach so all he spoke about was League, i was a skinny little runt then so i had no interest.

Never liked that guy!

He played on my Roulette table many years later (I was the Croupier) he had a decent win and told me my calculation was wrong, as i slid his chips over to him i said to my supervisor, you'd think a Maths teacher would be able to add a few numbers up.

he left not long after :grinning:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations Hacky, it gives me a few options to checkout. When I'm working alone, I play music or listen to podcasts but sometimes I like to put a documentary on the TV we got there and watch/listen to it in the background while at work. Just really interested in space, planets and life forces at the moment so trying to binge some docos revolved around those.
What's your GOTO podcasts?

I listen to a fair few science podcasts and gaming podcasts. Always happy to hear some new podcasts though. I spend a fair bit of time on the road everyday so I generally listen to many podcasts and audiobooks.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's amazing what a difference a great teacher makes, mine were all shithouse, especially Maths, he was the Football Coach so all he spoke about was League, i was a skinny little runt then so i had no interest.

Never liked that guy!

He played on my Roulette table many years later (I was the Croupier) he had a decent win and told me my calculation was wrong, as i slid his chips over to him i said to my supervisor, you'd think a Maths teacher would be able to add a few numbers up.

he left not long after :grinning:
My maths teacher was a Rugby Union guy. Each lesson would start talking about maths and end up discussing Rugby tactics.

It's a pity 'cause I was great at Maths, but I never got any motivation in it. It wasn't until recently that I started getting into Maths and I find it very interesting. If I had a decent teacher I may have had a completely different direction in life.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My maths teacher was a Rugby Union guy. Each lesson would start talking about maths and end up discussing Rugby tactics.

It's a pity 'cause I was great at Maths, but I never got any motivation in it. It wasn't until recently that I started getting into Maths and I find it very interesting. If I had a decent teacher I may have had a completely different direction in life.
Same with me. Maths came easy to me and I finished top 10% for NSW HSC. Still wasn't motivated by it and my life went a completely different way

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Space: Aftermath revealed of a spacecraft's historic encounter with an asteroid (9news.com.au)

When NASA's OSIRIS-REx spacecraft swept in to collect a sample from the asteroid Bennu in October, it left a noticeable mark.

New images captured by the spacecraft after a close flyby of the asteroid April 7 show the aftermath following the brief touchdown of OSIRIS-REx, which had collected 56 grams of rocky material.

During October's historic Touch-and-Go collection event, the sampling head of the spacecraft sank half a metre into the surface of the asteroid. The robotic arm also fired a charge of nitrogen gas to help kick up material for collection.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Believe it or not, I was a nerd in school lol I took 3 unit maths, computers, physics and religion.

I love maths, but not enough to be an accountant lol

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Researchers discover 'hellish' new planet, TOI-1431b, where temperatures reach 2,700C - ABC News

Queensland astronomers have discovered a new planet, but it offers a welcome far too warm for any human visitors.

TOI-1431b — or MASCARA-5b — is about 490 light years away from earth and one of the hottest planets ever recorded, with temperatures high enough to vaporise most metals.

Daytime temperatures on the planet can reach 2,700 degrees Celsius, or 3,000K, and its nightside temperature of 2,300C is the second hottest ever measured.

Researchers at the University of Southern Queensland's Centre for Astrophysics in Toowoomba led the global team that made the discovery.

Astrophysicist Dr Brett Addison described it as "a hellish world".

“No life would be able to survive in its atmosphere," he said.

"This planet is a gas giant planet so it doesn't really have a solid surface like the terrestrial planets in the solar system. "It’s basically a very large and deep atmosphere."

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Group spends 40 days in French cave as part of Deep Time experiment - ABC News

Ever wonder what it would feel like to unplug from a hyperconnected world and hide away in a dark cave for 40 days?

Fifteen people in France did just that, emerging from the scientific experiment to say time seemed to pass more slowly in their cavernous underground abode in south-west France, where they were deprived of clocks and light.

With big smiles on their pale faces, eight men and seven women left their voluntary isolation in the Lombrives cave to a round of applause and basked in the light while wearing special glasses to protect their eyes after so long in the dark.

"It was like pressing pause," said 33-year-old Marina Lancon, one of the seven female members in the experiment, adding she did not feel there was a rush to do anything.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
AG Carinae (hubblesite.org)

1619653604249.png

In celebration of the 31st anniversary of the launching of NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, astronomers aimed the renowned observatory at a brilliant "celebrity star," one of the brightest stars seen in our galaxy, surrounded by a glowing halo of gas and dust.

The price for the monster star's opulence is "living on the edge." The star, called AG Carinae is waging a tug-of-war between gravity and radiation to avoid self-destruction.

The expanding shell of gas and dust that surrounds the star is about five light-years wide, which equals the distance from here to the nearest star beyond the Sun, Proxima Centauri.

The huge structure was created from one or more giant eruptions about 10,000 years ago. The star's outer layers were blown into space—like a boiling teapot popping off its lid. The expelled material amounts to roughly 10 times our Sun's mass.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

NASA has announced plans to launch two new scientific missions to Venus between 2028 and 2030 — its first in decades — to study the atmosphere and geologic history of Earth's closest planetary neighbour.

The US space agency said it was awarding about $US500 million for development of each of the two missions, dubbed DAVINCI+ (short for Deep Atmosphere Venus Investigation of Noble Gases, Chemistry and Imaging) and VERITAS (an acronym for Venus Emissivity, Radio Science, InSAR, Topography and Spectroscopy).

"These two sister missions both aim to understand how Venus became an inferno-like world capable of melting lead at the surface," said NASA administator, Bill Nelson.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1623201256806.png

Some 24,000 years ago, a tiny creature was frozen in time in the Siberian tundra.

But being locked in permafrost in one of the coldest regions on the planet wasn't the end for the bdelloid rotifer — a microscopic animal that is found in freshwater environments.

The creature was still able to reproduce after being frozen for thousands of years, a team of Russian scientists has reported today in the journal Current Biology.

Offspring produced by their ancient parent were also able to survive being frozen and thawed in the lab, revealing the animal's amazing ability to tough it out in the most extreme conditions.

The ability to survive in a state of suspended animation is known as cryptobiosis.

While bdelloid rotifers have been known to bounce back after 6-10 years of freezing, the specimen reported in the new study breaks that record by a long shot.

These tiny, but mighty, animals can also make it through starvation, drying, and low oxygen conditions.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black holes gobbling up neutron stars confirmed as source of gravitational waves for first time - ABC News

Around one billion years ago, two of the most extreme objects in the universe smashed into each other.

The explosive death spiral of a neutron star into a black hole produced gravitational waves — ripples that are created in the moments before two objects with large masses collide.

Now for the first time, an international team have detected a neutron star being swallowed up by a black hole in a study published today in The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

The team detected not one but two of these events around 10 days apart using the Advanced Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) in the US and the Virgo detector in Italy.

On 5 January 2020, they detected the merging of a neutron star around twice as massive as the Sun with a black hole that was nine times as massive.

Then on 15 January 2020, the team detected a slightly lighter collision between a neutron star that was one and a half times as massive as the Sun and a black hole around five times as massive.

Observation of Gravitational Waves from Two Neutron Star–Black Hole Coalescences - IOPscience

Susan Scott, an astrophysicist at the Australian National University and LIGO team member, said the two new confirmed detections completed the trifecta of events that produced gravitational waves.

"It's the third part of the puzzle for these kinds of collisions," Professor Scott said.
In 2015 the LIGO team detected gravitational waves created by the merging of two black holes.

Two years later the LIGO and Virgo teams detected the collision of neutron stars for the first time.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The sun erupted with a surprise solar flare on Saturday (July 3), the largest since 2017, in an early explosion of cosmic fireworks ahead of the Fourth of July.

The solar flare occurred from a sunspot called AR2838 at 10:29 a.m. EDT (1429 GMT) on Saturday and registered as a powerful X1-class sun event, according to the U.S. Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) tracking the sun's weather. It caused a brief radio blackout on Earth, center officials said in an update.

A video of the solar flare from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory shows the flare erupting from the upper right limb of the star as seen by the spacecraft, one of many used to monitor the sun's weather.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
Science Stuff.

As a science enthusiast I’m fascinated in what we discover and what we are yet to learn. As such I’m going to dump interesting science stories in this thread on an ongoing basis.

I’m going to provide links where I can and explanations when I think I know, but I want peeps to correct me if I get something wrong about a story or article. Yes I want to be peer reviewed!! And if there is a science topic that peaks your interest, put it in here and I’ll grab some info on it to discuss. So load up your pocket protectors and straighten your bow ties, it’s time to get all Sciencey.

To start off with we’ll look at something close by and familiar to each of us, our Sun.

Fun Sun Facts:

We use our Sun as a unit of measure = 1 AU (Astronomical Unit) is the distance from the Sun to Earth. Saturn is an average of 9.6 AU from the Sun. Old Pluto’s average distance from the sun is 39.5 AU.

Our Sun sings and breathes - https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/sounds-of-the-sun

Our Sun Farts - https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/2288/the-solar-wind-across-our-solar-system/

Our Sun is currently converting 600 million tons of hydrogen into helium every second - https://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2007/locations/ttt_solarenergy.php

Now that sounds like a lot, but when you think our Sun is only halfway through its lifecycle and has approximately 4 billion years of fuel left to burn, than you start to understand how big it is. If you want a visual of how big compared to Earth, check out the pic below.

View attachment 12609

The material of the Sun is so compressed and so dense, it takes a particle of light 3 million years to get from the core where it’s created to the surface of the Sun itself and then only 8 mins to reach Earth.

And yes our Sun does have a name, Sol. This name originates from the ancient Roman’s god of the Sun, Sol. This alternate name is where we get the term “solar system,” which literally means system of the Sun.

Inevitably our Sun will die and use up all its hydrogen fuel. When that happens it will grow into a Red Giant and consume Mercury, Venus and Earth as its outer layers expand to the reach and melt Mars. That will be the end of all the inner rocky planets of our Solar System and the outer gas giants will be stripped of their upper clouds and reduced to roughly 10-30% of their current size due to the increase in the power of the solar winds (farts). And when that expansion part of our Sun’s lifecycle is compete and it shrinks back to become a White Dwarf Star, our Solar System will be unrecognisable. Our Sun will then spend the rest of its 100billion year existence faintly flickering as part of the ocean of White Dwarfs that currently inhabit our Galaxy.
hahaha fuck this is the gayest thing i’ve ever seen.. and i’ve been to roosters training sessions.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
I half assed my Network Engineering studies. When it came time for one of the tests, I had to write a bunch of networking scripts. Simple enough, but I had to write them using only their methods which I hadn't bothered studying. So I hacked into one of the other students machine's during the test and stole his stuff, then passed the test. Personally I blame them for not having any real security on their network.
sure you did Forrest

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
on another science note,i’m going for my 12th covid test today.anyone beat that?