News School teacher Bradley Deitz lands in his toughest class with Canterbury Bulldogs debut

Ogre

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He was my brother's maths teacher before he went to the all-girls school. My brother always said he looked good in the videos he would show him during class from his games when Deitz played for North Sydney. Hopefully he can become the hooker we have been waiting for and he has a great debut.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How many spots do you have remaining in our top 30, 1 or 2?

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just in general I think his style of running in this faster game situation is important to the team.....you got have someone to take advantage of retreating defence.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So apparently Tyson Smoothy (Storm) is set to debut tomorrow night off the bench with Harry Grant out. He’s isn’t in Melbourne’s top 30 nor is he a development player. Grant was injured in a trial and not a rep game so I don’t really understand how Smoothy is allowed to play.

Can anyone clarify the rules surrounding the top 30 / exemptions for injured players?

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey brothers,

He reminds me of cook. Very fast and agile. Something we have been missing in a long time. I pray we can really get him to hit his peak performance this weekend and secure his services in the future. He will also be on the lower end of the salary scale so we can focus monies in other areas needed.

Thanks.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Going off the bulldogs website we currently have 31 listed players including Deitz and Ava. Not sure what's going on there.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Going off the bulldogs website we currently have 31 listed players including Deitz and Ava. Not sure what's going on there.
Ava and Dietz are not top 30 players, they are train and trail contracts only.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ava and Dietz are not top 30 players, they are train and trail contracts only.
It’s good to see a degree of flexibility regarding this top 30
There are so many variables both in preseason and throughout the year were things could change.
No need to hinder a players future by enforcing such strict rules,there seems to be some common sense under this new management.

Reactions: GDR

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s good to see a degree of flexibility regarding this top 30
There are so many variables both in preseason and throughout the year were things could change.
No need to hinder a players future by enforcing such strict rules,there seems to be some common sense under this new management.
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe the NRL have a vested interest in this move in relation to expansion.. there's been a long standing argument that the NRL doesn't have the 'cattle' for expansion.. so the train and trail concept will keep more of those fringe first graders engaged and hopefully more time for those late bloomers to develop.. ergo more 'cattle'.. just my thoughts

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
i put through a message to vossy on SEN, hes going to ask a player manager shortly..
Nice, will be interesting to hear the details.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe the NRL have a vested interest in this move in relation to expansion.. there's been a long standing argument that the NRL doesn't have the 'cattle' for expansion.. so the train and trail concept will keep more of those fringe first graders engaged and hopefully more time for those late bloomers to develop.. ergo more 'cattle'.. just my thoughts
Interesting take on things.
Hadn't occurred to me but makes some sense..

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice, will be interesting to hear the details.
ok he answered it but not really what i was after .. hes said its not part of the cap and only if he gets signed full time does the money spent on the player get added to the salary cap

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting take on things.
Hadn't occurred to me but makes some sense..
theres a distinct lack of "cattle" because our tier 2 systems are really unprofessional, in comparison to other major codes around the world..

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So apparently Tyson Smoothy (Storm) is set to debut tomorrow night off the bench with Harry Grant out. He’s isn’t in Melbourne’s top 30 nor is he a development player. Grant was injured in a trial and not a rep game so I don’t really understand how Smoothy is allowed to play.

Can anyone clarify the rules surrounding the top 30 / exemptions for injured players?
It's a weird one, mate.

My guess is the Storm lobbied to the NRL to say we have no one who can fill this position, and asked for an exemption.

We did something similar, but in our case - JMK was injured in an NRL-mandated exhibition match. So it was always favorable we were going to get something here. Grant was injured in a trial. A little bit different.

Realistically speaking, unless you get an exemption - I do not believe players outside the top 30 can play until after the June 30 (now August) deadline.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a weird one, mate.

My guess is the Storm lobbied to the NRL to say we have no one who can fill this position, and asked for an exemption.

We did something similar, but in our case - JMK was injured in an NRL-mandated exhibition match. So it was always favorable we were going to get something here. Grant was injured in a trial. A little bit different.

Realistically speaking, unless you get an exemption - I do not believe players outside the top 30 can play until after the June 30 (now August) deadline.
Agreed. Although i believe its still june 30 at this stage, NRL looking to move it earlier in the season too

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
i put through a message to vossy on SEN, hes going to ask a player manager shortly..
I heard that, well done, and plainly like everyone (aside from the Cap auditor perhaps) he doesn't know the answer.

Go Dogs

Reactions: GDR