School Row- Catholics Welcome, Muslims not

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now before this begins, i realise it could get out of hand.
Please dicuss this in an orderly fashion.

I ban spraytan and GB from this thread :p

This is a continuation of the Camden story denying an islamic school

Anti-Muslim schoolers welcome Catholics

06:30 AEST Tue Sep 9 20083 hours 18 minutes ago

Moves to build a Catholic school in Camden, in Sydney's south-west, have been welcomed by the same community group which vocally opposed plans for a Muslim school.

The president of the Camden/Macarthur Residents Group, Emil Sremchevich, told Fairfax the Catholic plan "ticks all the right boxes", even though he was yet to see its development application.

"Catholics are part of our community so we should be supporting it on this basis alone," Mr Sremchevich told Fairfax.

"To become part of the community, you need to live in the community. You can't just turn up."

Mr Sremchevich said he was not being racist.

"Why is it xenophobic just because I want to make a choice. If I want to like some people and not like other people, that's the nature of the beast," he said.

"It's very simple: people like some things but don't like other things ... some of us like Fords, some of us like Holdens."

The Quranic Society has launched an appeal after its plan to develop a 1,200-student Islamic school was rejected by the Camden Council in May on planning grounds.

The council's rejection followed series of protest rallies.

The Wollongong Catholic Education Office now wants to expand an existing 150-student facility at Camden to accommodate up to 1,200 students.

Quranic Society spokesman Issam Obeid said it was a clear case of double standards.

"Everyone can see there is a double standard ... no one knows anything about the Catholic school and they say 'yeah, give it a tick already'."

"I think racism is affecting this."

I am a bit gobsmacked at the parts i bolded.
I was under the impression muslims ARE a part of the communit there and in the surrounding areas...are they afraid of more moving in?

And the fact he says " i WANT to like some people and not others"....wtf, as if you WANT to dislike a certain group of people. How ignorant is that.

What is your opinion? Is the hypocrisy too much for a local council, or is it more sensible to build a catholic school where there is a majority of white australians?

IMO they should just HTFU and build a public school for all :p

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Double standards hard!
You allow for one school to be built, you should allow for the other too but the Muslims should go elsewhere if that's how the community is reacting. The kids will be in a hostile environment.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double standards hard!
You allow for one school to be built, you should allow for the other too but the Muslims should go elsewhere if that's how the community is reacting. The kids will be in a hostile environment.
Well don't forget finding is an issue...can they build two schools?
And another thing about them going away.

No i don't think they should...running will just make the racists happy. They shouldn't leave their home.
Imo, as cruel as it may be to the children who may get strife, but they should stay and hopefully prove to the whities they are not a bad group....eventually they need to be accepted and running is not the way.

IMO, as an observation i don't have experience in it, but i haven't seen muslims being treated badly in the shopping centre and surrounding areas tbh

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Well don't forget finding is an issue...can they build two schools?
And another thing about them going away.

No i don't think they should...running will just make the racists happy. They shouldn't leave their home.
Imo, as cruel as it may be to the children who may get strife, but they should stay and hopefully prove to the whities they are not a bad group....eventually they need to be accepted and running is not the way.

IMO, as an observation i don't have experience in it, but i haven't seen muslims being treated badly in the shopping centre and surrounding areas tbh
It's complicated and there is many views on it. I just hope they all can come to an agreement on something but the council do sound rather racist and are probably straight out of Texas, America.
In saying that too, there will probably legitimate reasons why some people dont want a muslim school there. (dont ask me, i cant think of one)

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only "legitimate" reason i could think of is there not being a population big enough to fill the school.
But then again i don't know their demographic statistics.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
The only "legitimate" reason i could think of would be there not being a population big enough to fill the school.
But then again i don't know their demographic statistics.
Business maybe? Maybe target markets are anglo saxons etc, but i would be thinking they are in the minority.
Most people are driven by stupid things like religion. I am religious but god it sticks how they put us into different groups thinking we are totally different.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know i was sent to a catholic school because well yes i am catholic, but because it was the best school around our area.
I know parents want their kid going to a school where their beliefs are supported and taught, and they have time for prayers etc and are around their people..

But i would be happy to throw my kid into a multicultural school...pft if my kids are going to be raised around people thinking they are different or better than someone else. Tolerance, unfortunately, isn't taught at schools as much as it should be.

DoggyGirl

>Sylvana
Reaction score
that is a disgusting double standard! religious schools should be allowed regardless of what religion they are! if parents want to raise their children in an environment based on religious teaching then that should be an option available to them. i went to a Catholic school and it's not lik ei turned out to be a racist! if anything i am more accepting of other beliefs and religions as a direct result of this education. i was taught to be accepting and didn't only learn about my religion. in year 11 and 12 i spent a Term studying each of the major religions of the world. now i have a mixed group of friends, Muslim and Christian predominently but i also work with Jews and Buddhists and i don't have anything against anyone

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wake up quaranic society its plain obvious the ppl of camden dont want an islamic school there so why force the issue and put the victim cards away ffs,.so if an islamic school happens to be successfull in getting their school there are they willing to send their kids to an area thats hostile towards any1 that wears a headscarf?for the sake/safety of ur islamic children keep them in an area where its safe,.u cant force the ppl of camden to not want to accept a catholic church/school in favour of an islamic one its their choice

rooneysgurl

He Can't Compare!
Reaction score
for someone who lives out there, they don't need another school ffs, there is an islamic school in minto, but there is a growing islamic population. the idiots of camden need to realise that in australia, we embrace multiculturalism, and that includes accepting other people's beliefs.

it's discustiong, adn i'm glad i'm classed as campbelltown now, and not camden

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Waits for it........

Rocco1977

Waterboy
Reaction score
wake up quaranic society its plain obvious the ppl of camden dont want an islamic school there so why force the issue and put the victim cards away ffs,.so if an islamic school happens to be successfull in getting their school there are they willing to send their kids to an area thats hostile towards any1 that wears a headscarf?for the sake/safety of ur islamic children keep them in an area where its safe,.u cant force the ppl of camden to not want to accept a catholic church/school in favour of an islamic one its their choice
well said

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
There shouldn't be any muslims in Australia!!!

*waits for GB*

A

Al.Bundy

There should be Catholic schools in Dubai, Kuwait, Iraq, etc...

PS. I agree that this is a case of double standards.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im not against the Catholic school being built.

Just laughing at how stupid the rednecks of Camden look

The president of the Camden/Macarthur Residents Group, Emil Sremchevich, told Fairfax the Catholic plan "ticks all the right boxes", even though he was yet to see its development application.
funny guy

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
"Al the Islams should go back to Islam."

"They should build Islamic schools in Islam."

-313-

I don't understand why wouldn't be safe?? This is Australia is it not? Free speech and freedom are the crust of our society or am I mistaken? So should we divide NSW/Aus into islamic safe and non safe zones...
This is racism in it's finest form...that's all

Status
Not open for further replies.