Salary cap wastage/desperation

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can add Cotric to the list.

Cotric is quality surrounded by 2nd graders and players that are well past their best. He will be much better next season.

If Schoupp can come into the side (at least after round 11) at right centre with Cotric on the right wing. Using the rest of this year to build a combination. This is what I would like to see.
This will help him show us much better.
With the left side looking like it’s Fox & Naden.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should also consider the fact that many players just don't want to come to our club, for a number of reasons and the fact that the club is now a basket case is only one of those reasons, their is also the clubs location, the fact that most game callers almost always show a bias against our club, no matter who were playing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Cotric is quality surrounded by 2nd graders and players that are well past their best. He will be much better next season.

If Schoupp can come into the side (at least after round 11) at right centre with Cotric on the right wing. Using the rest of this year to build a combination. This is what I would like to see.
This will help him show us much better.
With the left side looking like it’s Fox & Naden.
Cotric is a left winger though, he always wants to run from left to right and use his fend to push away from players. He's doing this fucked up shit when carrying the ball out from the right wing ATM.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cotric is a left winger though, he always wants to run from left to right and use his fend to push away from players. He's doing this fucked up shit when carrying the ball out from the right wing ATM.
Can the Fox play right side? I think the plan originally was for Cotric to play left centre inside the Fox. But he is not centre. I think Naden is also a left sided player. Schoupp looks to be comfortable either side of the field in the lower grades.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't we have a requirement where we have to spend 95% of the cap? That would explain why we are in the mess because of archaic rules in the cap
Yes we do but again, I'm arguing if we kept our own juniors/reserve graders, we'd have enough left over to entice better standard players than the garbage we did get.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Britt
Stimson
Chris Smith
Waddell
Allen
Flanagan
Meaney
Napa
Elliot
Crichton
Jmk
Hetherington

The above is why we suck so much. We're fucking desperate and throwing money at bog average fucking players and then we complain that we don't have the cattle.

We don't have the cattle because we've choked our salary cap with bullshit.

We've released players who could've done the job the above are doing, without fucking our salary cap. E.g Morgan harper, Fualalo, corey Thompson, etc

No they're not world beaters (the players we've released) but they can do the exact same job that their replacements (who we signed at a greater price) do.

Stop fucking overpaying on bog average duds.[/

Please,fualalo had plenty of opportunities and never took them,Corey Thompson,was offered big $ to go to England,came back 2 yrs later went to tigers on good Money,Morgan Harper had opportunities and did bugger all,and he also had disciplinary issues,and was third warning with the club.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
JAC - ? (good buy but need to see how he goes here)
Allan - so far bad buy
Burton - ? (good buy but need to see how he goes here)
Cotric - so far bad buy (good buy at the time)
Flanagan - so far bad buy (good buy at the time)
Hetherington - been okay, not the type of forward I'd buy
Naden - ? (good buy but need to see how he goes here)
Waddell - so far bad buy

I'm going to back Cotric and Flanagan to come good since I thought they were good buys at the time.
5/8 for me.

If we don't go out and buy a quality hooker (bare minimum, need to strengthen other positions too, e.g. prop) I don't see us getting the most out of the other players in our team.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Please,fualalo had plenty of opportunities and never took them,Corey Thompson,was offered big $ to go to England,came back 2 yrs later went to tigers on good Money,Morgan Harper had opportunities and did bugger all,and he also had disciplinary issues,and was third warning with the club
Fark me, for the umpteenth time, fualalo provided the same as britt/stimson and at less a cost

Corey Thompson was dumped by us, we didn't offer him a deal

Morgan harper had something like 3 games for us, 2 good and 1 bad showing. We never game him a chance. and now we're seeing that he was a cheap option that could have done a job until schoupp or alamoti were ready

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can the Fox play right side? I think the plan originally was for Cotric to play left centre inside the Fox. But he is not centre. I think Naden is also a left sided player. Schoupp looks to be comfortable either side of the field in the lower grades.
Probably. Naden I think is more natural @ right centre, looks to get outside his man better on that side and has a handy flick pass with his right hand. Can do a job at left centre though as he can switch his ball carrying arm and fend with little issue. Cotric at left centre was never going to work, he favours his right arm carry and left arm fend way too much...though it's only really a fend when he's going across field and more of a bump when he straightens up. He just needs to go down the To'o/Nofa route, get back from carries every set and bounce your way up field. Not sure what a doing with Schoupp.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fark me, for the umpteenth time, fualalo provided the same as britt/stimson and at less a cost

Corey Thompson was dumped by us, we didn't offer him a deal

Morgan harper had something like 3 games for us, 2 good and 1 bad showing. We never game him a chance. and now we're seeing that he was a cheap option that could have done a job until schoupp or alamoti were ready
Fualalo was shit,countless opportunities did nothing,Harper had problems with the club,but don’t take my word for it,ask around,Corey Thompson very good player now,but at the time,he got offered money from super league,that was way more than we could offer,and how much do u think Britt and Stimson are on,not big dollars,as for Harper apart from a good game against us last year,what’s he done,fuck all,only there because of injuries.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fualalo was shit,countless opportunities did nothing,Harper had problems with the club,but don’t take my word for it,ask around,Corey Thompson very good player now,but at the time,he got offered money from super league,that was way more than we could offer,and how much do u think Britt and Stimson are on,not big dollars,as for Harper apart from a good game against us last year,what’s he done,fuck all,only there because of injuries.
You're not getting me. I'm not arguing if they're good players or not.

I'm arguing they can do the same job as those I listed in the first post and that they come cheaper than those I listed in the first post, hence saving us money in the salary cap to spend on better players.

I'm arguing we're buying very average players at overs.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every successful team comes from a combination of quality players in key positions and the balance made up with juniors and toilers to get under the cap.
So you need

a quality spine (at least 3/4 of these players need to be quality with a balance of creativity, kicking game, strike and game management)
1 top quality strike backrower
1 top quality strike centre
Quality Speed and yardage players on the wing
A top quality big mobile dominant middle forward.
The balance needs to be filled by juniors coming through and guys who get the job done but don’t cost the world.
We are so far from this blueprint it’s not funny.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're not getting me. I'm not arguing if they're good players or not.

I'm arguing they can do the same job as those I listed in the first post and that they come cheaper than those I listed in the first post, hence saving us money in the salary cap to spend on better players.

I'm arguing we're buying very average players at overs.
Fair enough,but with salary cap restrictions for the last 4 years,it’s been difficult on every one,I just hope whoever is responsible for the buying,does a better job,we have to rid ourselves of the shit we have at the moment.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't we have a requirement where we have to spend 95% of the cap? That would explain why we are in the mess because of archaic rules in the cap
Good point you make, you can include to that teams must have 30 players squad by the 30 of June, it is a terrible system the NRL insist on, but that doesn't change the fact that some of the players should never have been signed. At the price we got Flanagan it was never a mistake !!!

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Britt
Stimson
Chris Smith
Waddell
Allen
Flanagan
Meaney
Napa
Elliot
Crichton
Jmk
Hetherington

The above is why we suck so much. We're fucking desperate and throwing money at bog average fucking players and then we complain that we don't have the cattle.

We don't have the cattle because we've choked our salary cap with bullshit.

We've released players who could've done the job the above are doing, without fucking our salary cap. E.g Morgan harper, Fualalo, corey Thompson, etc

No they're not world beaters (the players we've released) but they can do the exact same job that their replacements (who we signed at a greater price) do.

Stop fucking overpaying on bog average duds.
Sounds like a half decent plan in theory but in reality I’m sure you’d be less than impressed if we stuck with the same duds for the past 5 years and didn’t at least try recruiting something different. We were never gonna find world beaters due to our dire cap position, but we had to at least try different personnel.

As for just sticking with our Juniors, lol. Our juniors across the past 5 years have been the worst crop in our history thanks to Haslers neglect of this area. Montoya and Kayne Kalache probably makes our top 5 juniors of the past 5-6 years, that’s how bad the production line has been.

Your examples are pretty atrocious also. Fualalo had received a couple of contract upgrades with us and his last contract was north of 300k/year. His last year with us was woeful and he wound up with Cabramatta in Ron Massey. Thompson was due an upgrade at a time where we were already heavily invested in outside backs such as the Morris brothers, Perrett, Hopoate etc. Yeah I’d love him at the club now but understand why he left at the time.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Handing Barrett the keys to a war chest, a proven flop of a first grade coach is desperation.

The desperation club, incompetently run by clowns.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The best thing that Barrett has mentioned a number of times at press conferences is the need not to panic buy for the short term. Not saying the club will end up with good recruitmentt but at least they seem to have learnt or be aware of at least some of the mistakes of the past.

Just on recruitment - if Tigers are getting the pommy centre Gildert -id be making enquiries about Talau - he is not a winger, nor is centre his best position - he is an aggressive five eight or even a lock.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The best thing that Barrett has mentioned a number of times at press conferences is the need not to panic buy for the short term. Not saying the club will end up with good recruitmentt but at least they seem to have learnt or be aware of at least some of the mistakes of the past.

Just on recruitment - if Tigers are getting the pommy centre Gildert -id be making enquiries about Talau - he is not a winger, nor is centre his best position - he is an aggressive five eight or even a lock.
Signed till 2022 but we'd be getting a junior back.

The kind of 5/8 to work with Burton, if he is a 7 with us?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Signed till 2022 but we'd be getting a junior back.

The kind of 5/8 to work with Burton, if he is a 7 with us?
Similar style and size to Burton - although Burton would be the dominant player. In Junior reps Talau was both a ball playing/ kicking five eight with the size and aggressive running to have suggested he would end in the lock or backrow similar to Wade Graham or Ryan Matterson.