Opinion Salary Cap isn't working

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have big concerns how our cap has been spent even this year and last year.... Dallin, napa, hopoate have to be on way more than they should be.... Jackson I have so much respect for, but he reached his peak years ago and is on the decline is also not value for money... I am also worried about thompsons value for money.. I think he has it in him but has not delivered anywhere near the form to justify big dollars he's rumoured to be on. Corey Allen, who knows! .... Have a look at south's back line depth.... Latrell, Johnson, gagai, Campbell Graham, walker, Reynolds, Steve masters, tautua moga, braidon burns, Jaxson paulo. Then they can afford Marshall and mansour as cover/depth at the start of the year.. there forward pack apart from cook and murray aren't superstars but they get value/best out of them and we're still able to sign arrow..... Have a look at our back line players..... We don't even have a quality 1-7 let alone depth.... Doesn't look good, we don't have any value for $ players in our side its simple.... Okonbur maybe but that's it... I personally don't think our cap is any better now or next year than 3-4 years ago.... Anyways just compare the 2 rosters and something doesn't add up.....
It just does not add up. When I look at the other top 4 rosters I think to myself how on earth can our roster be even close to being at 60 percent of it's capacity.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The goal of the salary cap is not distribute talent.
It is only there to stop clubs from going broke so the NRL does not have bail out the broke club. If the NRL do not bail them out then the NRL will be in breach of its contractual duties to the broadcasters.
Thats the only reason why it is there.
The underlying assumption of the cap is that a player is motivated purely by dollars.
The fact that Keary supposedly stays at the most powerful club for less money than what struggling clubs offer is proof the cap and the system is broken.
The NRL's main obligation is too look after the interests of the game as a whole.
At the moment the players/managers and clubs interests are put ahead of the games interests.
This is where the NRL have failed badly over the years.
The new rules have just magnified the difference.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Culture is everything, I look at the nrl right now and in a way to me it's becoming similar to the NBA players will take less money to stay on competitive teams and have a chance to compete for a championship every year. There are still a few high profile players leaving for money etc David Fifita but when you look at someone like Brandon Smith who is probably going to stay at the storm for a fuck ton less then other clubs will offer him I think our only way out is junior development which will take years. We gotta get better at scouting and poaching talent before they make it into the NRL.
Not really. You cannot compare the 2.
The money NBA players have made to then take a pay cut is a crazy amount.
An NBA player can play for 5-10 years and be set for a life of luxury for many lives over. They can then take a pay cut to chase a ring.
An NRL player playing for 10 years cannot afford such a luxury.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And we have a bigger junior system when compared with most other teams. We spent years looking out rather than developing within. More than half of the players who take us to the next premiership will be based on players who haven’t played a FG game yet. That’s how you stay cap compliant. We throw big bucks to Napa/DWZ and Thompson who won’t ever win us games. We invest money in the wrong positions. We need to find a good young core, sign them long term and build around them. Having Flanagan and Burton is a positive step in the right direction.
The junior (non-existent) system proudly brought to you by Todd Greenturd, Ray Dib, Des Hasler & Raelene Castle.

DrBulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Remove the salary cap and keep it loose. Move to a points system.
Eg each team has 100 points to spend. A newbie is probably 1 point. Someone in the NRL for 2 years, maybe 5. Origin player 10 international maybe 15. So basically you cannot cheat the cap no matter what as you cannot stack your team as all player points are open to the public and run by the NRL. Obviously if their stats go down number go down for the following yr etc.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers are soon to have ~2.4m between Cleary, JFH and Luai. They also have Crichton on big money and a few other players on decent money. There's nothing wrong with the model, it just needs to be on the right players. Napa is worth minimum wage and we're paying him 650k, DWZ is worth around 300-400k and we're paying him 550k... you can find plenty of other e.g's throughout the team.
Like cotric, it seems

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The bigger issue is that players usually need to be a in good team to perform.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Love him or hate him, this is what made David Gallop good for the game.

Rorting of the cap was nearly always found and those found doing it were dealt with. Including us. It evened out the game, made it interesting and nearly every season saw a rotation of 3 to 4 teams in the top 8.

Its no surprise that teams like Roosters fell off their perch after he came in. In fact from 2005 to 2012 roosters only made finals twice. 2012 Gallop says bye bye, and guess who rises to the top!! Roosters. 3 premierships in 7 seasons, missed finals once.
Found out, they got snitched on brother, only way they found out.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Rorting of the cap was nearly always found and those found doing it were dealt with. Including us. It evened out the game, made it interesting and nearly every season saw a rotation of 3 to 4 teams in the top 8.

Its no surprise that teams like Roosters fell off their perch after he came in. In fact from 2005 to 2012 roosters only made finals twice. 2012 Gallop says bye bye, and guess who rises to the top!! Roosters. 3 premierships in 7 seasons, missed finals once.
It's my understanding that all the salary cap breaches have either been stumbled upon (Melbourne) or dobbed in (us). I was told that after we were done by the salary cap, the Roosters management decided to cool thing for a while so they weren't one of the casualties. 2 player managers at the time told me that the Roosters were WAY over what we were paying in 2002. They also said that because they had no juniors they had to pay them overs to get them over. Just look at the rosters at that time & we had about the 5th or 6th best on paper.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's my understanding that all the salary cap breaches have either been stumbled upon (Melbourne) or dobbed in (us). I was told that after we were done by the salary cap, the Roosters management decided to cool thing for a while so they weren't one of the casualties. 2 player managers at the time told me that the Roosters were WAY over what we were paying in 2002. They also said that because they had no juniors they had to pay them overs to get them over. Just look at the rosters at that time & we had about the 5th or 6th best on paper.
That would probably explain why they were shit from 05 through to 2012.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Remove the salary cap and keep it loose. Move to a points system.
Eg each team has 100 points to spend. A newbie is probably 1 point. Someone in the NRL for 2 years, maybe 5. Origin player 10 international maybe 15. So basically you cannot cheat the cap no matter what as you cannot stack your team as all player points are open to the public and run by the NRL. Obviously if their stats go down number go down for the following yr etc.
The only problem with that is that guys who haven't made an NRL debut can have played for developing nations. I wouldn't want to spend 15 points on Wakeham at this stage nor any junior that gets selected for a developing nation that will take just about anyone. And under this system you could start the year with a couple of decent players that get called up for origin when injuries in certain positions are rampant and suddenly be over the cap.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The only problem with that is that guys who haven't made an NRL debut can have played for developing nations. I wouldn't want to spend 15 points on Wakeham at this stage nor any junior that gets selected for a developing nation that will take just about anyone. And under this system you could start the year with a couple of decent players that get called up for origin when injuries in certain positions are rampant and suddenly be over the cap.
I would add, Napa is an ex origin player, Allen is a current origin player, Cotric is a recent origin player (2019) plus the most recent (2019) internationals for Australia, DWZ is of course a current NZ international, as is JMK and RFM, TKatoa and Skatoa are both Tongan internationals, as is Hopoate, CCrichton is an Samoan international, Elliott is an indigenous All Star, as is CSmith and Roumanos is a Lebanese international.

Allocating a player points based on representative selection is fraught with danger, how many of the above only were selected because of injuries (or suspension) of a number of players above them? They would be unrealistically saddled with points that may well end their careers. Seriously how many clubs are going to sign JMK when he is on the same amount of points as BSmith? Surely the contract value they command in the market place is a far better indicator than points, where BSmith could easily have more than double the value of JMK.

Go Dogs

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Raiders have a number of players on less than half what they were on at other clubs. Ryan James went from $780 at the Titans to $390. CNK played last year for $130k. Others have signed for far less than offered elsewhere. Fix the culture and the cap becomes pretty much irrelevant...
Absolutely agree with that. Players know taking big money to go to a shit team comes with consequences. Having as much success as possible on the field during there careers equates to more career opportunities post career within media and coach etc...

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It would work if TPA's werent a thing and players werent allowed to play for a better club for less.

NRL needs to regulate player pricing.

E.g. lets say we want to sign Tedesco. He would be fine with say 800k + TPAs + Always winning with the roosters. If he signs with us? At least 1 mil +. Because no TPA's, no insane Rep.

This happened with Cotric, we had to pay overs for him.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
4 rounds, top 8 pretty much the same, just swap dragons and Knights. Early days still of course, but multiple participants of various tipping comps I'm in hitting perfect rounds, including two for me. It's entirely predicable who wins. The same teams that were in the ascendancy the last few seasons

I'm not even asserting that the NRL rules and referring, or necessarily anything is at fault. But a problem definitely exists, that should at least be acknowledged.

They can say it's an anomaly, and the comp will even up naturally eventually. But it's been like this for a number is seasons now. I feel ever since the Sharks got their premiership.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Funny random Gallop story.. I have a few friends who worked at the NRL while Gallop was in charge. They said he was an angry dude and would blow up now and then..

The worst case was when he had some potato chips stored away in the shared kitchen and must have had a hard day and came back cringing his chips. He finds out they're not there, chucks a complete tantrum with veins popping out in front of the whole office screaming to everyone "where are the fucking chips? Who the fuck ate all of the chips?"

Everyone is shocked that the CEO of the NRL just reamed everyone for some chips and is forever shit scared of him after that...

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funny random Gallop story.. I have a few friends who worked at the NRL while Gallop was in charge. They said he was an angry dude and would blow up now and then..

The worst case was when he had some potato chips stored away in the shared kitchen and must have had a hard day and came back cringing his chips. He finds out they're not there, chucks a complete tantrum with veins popping out in front of the whole office screaming to everyone "where are the fucking chips? Who the fuck ate all of the chips?"

Everyone is shocked that the CEO of the NRL just reamed everyone for some chips and is forever shit scared of him after that...
His father was a justice of the Supreme Court for many years - he was a scary dude!

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
4 rounds, top 8 pretty much the same, just swap dragons and Knights. Early days still of course, but multiple participants of various tipping comps I'm in hitting perfect rounds, including two for me. It's entirely predicable who wins. The same teams that were in the ascendancy the last few seasons

I'm not even asserting that the NRL rules and referring, or necessarily anything is at fault. But a problem definitely exists, that should at least be acknowledged.

They can say it's an anomaly, and the comp will even up naturally eventually. But it's been like this for a number is seasons now. I feel ever since the Sharks got their premiership.
Screenshot_20210406-074946_Chrome.jpg

Well, at least Phil Gould is now acknowledging the problem. I'm not quite sure I agree with him though. Reserving judgement

Last edited:

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score
The latest rort of the cap is medical retirement. South were allowed to sign inglis and Burgess to large long term contracts then medically retire them give them jobs at the club and keep paying them their salary without it appearing on the cap.
Roosters going to do the same with jake friend this week and same with Morgan at nq freeing up cap space and allowing them to go out and sign replacements on same money to cover what are long term injuries

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The latest rort of the cap is medical retirement. South were allowed to sign inglis and Burgess to large long term contracts then medically retire them give them jobs at the club and keep paying them their salary without it appearing on the cap.
Roosters going to do the same with jake friend this week and same with Morgan at nq freeing up cap space and allowing them to go out and sign replacements on same money to cover what are long term injuries
‘the Morgan one seems legit , you wouldnt do medical retirement for someone that is 29