Opinion Saint, Sinner, Shoosh

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
NRL 2021: Referee Henry Perenara forced to retire | Saint, Sinner, Shoosh | Daily Telegraph
Phil Rothfield
Manly Sea Eagles have rubbished suggestions that injury-plagued fullback Tom Trbojevic will be unavailable for NSW State of Origin selection this year.
The Blues superstar fullback has played only eight NRL games in the last two seasons and there had been concerns about a mid-year Origin campaign and the stress on his hamstrings.

However chief executive Stephen Humphreys insists there has been no conversation about Turbo’s Origin availability.

“Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves,” Humphreys said.

“You don’t want to contemplate too many things too far down the track but certainly we wouldn’t want to be standing in the way of any player. He’s played Origin before and loves it. If he’s picked we’d be thrilled for him.”

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Manly has shut down speculation Tom Trbojevic (left) will be forced to miss the 2021 State of Origin series. Picture: Getty Images.

Manly has shut down speculation Tom Trbojevic (left) will be forced to miss the 2021 State of Origin series. Picture: Getty Images.Top ref retires
A heart condition has forced former player and long-time NRL referee Henry Perenara into retirement.

Perenara has been diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia, an abnormally fast heartbeat that causes shortness of breath, dizziness sweating or fainting.

The referee had an episode at training a week ago when he almost collapsed.

“I nearly blacked out,” he said.

“I don’t remember much of it but that’s when I had to make the decision to give it away.

“You certainly don’t want to risk it happening in a game.”

Perenara, 40, played 72 NRL games and refereed over 200 matches.

In a stunning admission, Perenara admitted he had secretly battled the disease for almost 15 years. At times it struck him during games but he battled on.

Referee Henry Perenara has been forced to hang up the boots. Picture: Alix Sweeney

Referee Henry Perenara has been forced to hang up the boots. Picture: Alix Sweeney
“I just kept pushing through it,” he said. “It’s not life-threatening but it’s not good either.

“It feels like your heart is beating out of your chest.

“It’s happened in games but I’ve just tried to mask it.”

Perenara was diagnosed when he saw a cardiologist in February.

He was prescribed medication to slow his heartbeat.

“Mine goes up to about 230 beats per minute,” he said. “Your absolute maximum should be 180.”

A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats per minute.

After two months Perenara took himself off the medication.

“There were side-effects that made me feel really lethargic and lacking motivation,” he said.

“It really affected me. The medication only limited the palpitations but didn’t stop them whenever I exercised, trained or refereed.”

Henry Perenara played 72 NRL games over seven years, and has refereed 214 matches.

Henry Perenara played 72 NRL games over seven years, and has refereed 214 matches.
He spoke to referees boss Jared Maxwell and NRL general manager of football Graham Annesley.

“It was really hard,” he said. “I’ve been involved in rugby league as a referee and a player for over 20 years. It’s all I know. It’s all I’ve ever done.

“I so enjoyed refereeing, it’s a thankless job but I loved it. It’s the hardest decision but also the easiest I’ve ever had to make.”

Annesley and Maxwell have said they will continue to support Perenara, who is married with six kids. He’ll work in the bunker and assist in coaching junior refs.

Check out all the latest NRL chatter and more in Australia’s hottest sport gossip column.

Trent Merrin has been given a fitting send-off, retiring after 12-years in rugby league. Picture: Getty Images.

Trent Merrin has been given a fitting send-off, retiring after 12-years in rugby league. Picture: Getty Images.Penrith pulls funds for junior nursery
Penrith Panthers have withdrawn funding for the world’s biggest junior rugby league nursery that has produced superstars Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai, Stephen Crichton and most of their NRL squad.

Annual support is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars each year in league’s heartland where there are just under 10,000 participants.

The Panthers junior nursery nurtured club legends Brad Fittler, Greg Alexander, Mark Geyer and John Cartwright, among many more.

The club this year also withdrew funding for elite junior teams in the Andrew Johns, Laurie Daley and Tarsha Gale Cups. This is despite the fact the Panthers claim to have more than $100 million in net assets.

To save costs, the Panthers now employ a full-time junior league general manager to run competitions from an office at their Academy.

Board member Alexander insists the club remains fully committed to the juniors and that the changes will have no effect on participation numbers or the promotion of juniors in the area.

Dragons’ milestone brushed
The Dragons have remarkably ignored the proudest milestone in the club’s history.

Friday was exactly the 100th anniversary of St George’s first game in the NSWRL.

On April 23, 1921, Saints lost 4-3 to Glebe at the old Sydney Sports Ground.

Not a word from the club about this significant milestone.

The Dragons might have merged with Illawarra 22 years ago but it would still have been appropriate to at least do something to acknowledge the occasion.

Player managers united
More than 20 of the game’s leading player managers hooked up in a zoom conference call last week to discuss the NRL’s contentious reform proposal for agent accreditation rules.

One of the biggest issues discussed was the NRL’s attempt to stop player agents from also managing coaches where it can create a conflict of interests.

The agents are also campaigning against moves to restrict them from signing players under the age of 18. Currently they can sign 15-year-olds.

The talks between the managers, the NRL and RLPA have been in progress since the start of the year.

Happy Birthday to Fox League’s Yvonne Sampson! Picture. Phil Hillyard

Happy Birthday to Fox League’s Yvonne Sampson! Picture. Phil HillyardVonny’s 40th birthday
There was a very good reason Fox Sports presenter Yvonne Sampson was not in the chair to host Super Saturday this weekend.

Vonny turned 40 yesterday and celebrated at a restaurant in Balmain with her nearest and dearest including many Fox Sports workmates, family from Queensland and hubby — Channel 9 reporter Chris O’Keefe.

Ben Ikin flew in from Brisbane to come off the bench as Super Saturday host. On Friday night Braith Anasta debuted in the chair while Jess Yates is on maternity leave.

New ring for Rabs
The NRL is to replace Channel 9 commentator Ray Warren’s treasured Hall of Fame ring that was stolen from his home in a break and enter three months ago.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo spoke to the legendary caller at the Tommy Raudonikis memorial service at the SCG on Monday.

“It’s still missing so we’ll do the right thing and replace it,” Abdo said.

“Getting him a replica is the right thing to do. I’m sure he’ll wear it with pride.”

Down 4kg on Ramadan
Broncos forward Payne Haas lost four kilos in three days in the Darwin heat while on Ramadan.

Somehow he trained in extreme heat on Thursday without water.

“It was hot and I couldn’t I couldn’t wait to drink water that night because I was stuffed,” Haas told colleague Fatima Kdouh, “but it’s a holy month and it’s for a good cause.

“I’ve probably lost about four kilos but I’m a big eater so I’ll put it back on.”

Before the game Haas had muesli, a banana and water to get him through.

Terry Lamb with the Bulldogs’ oldest fan, 100-year-old Thelma Fitzgerald.

Terry Lamb with the Bulldogs’ oldest fan, 100-year-old Thelma Fitzgerald.A century of loyalty
The Bulldogs have saluted the lady who is believed to be their oldest and most loyal fan. Thelma Fitzgerald turned 100 on Friday. Her favourite player Terry Lamb delivered flowers and a specially designed T-shirt.

Eels’ Anzac charity
Money raised from sales of the Parramatta Eels’ ANZAC jersey is going to a great charity.

The jersey is a visual celebration of the Royal Australian Air Force’s 100th anniversary.

The club will donate $5 from every jumper sold to Veteran Sport Australia.

This is a great program run by RSL NSW that encourages veterans and their families to become involved in sport to improve their health and wellbeing.

SAINT, SINNER, SHOOSH
SAINT

The retirement of veteran St George-Illawarra forward Trent Merrin has been handled with so much respect and class. Here is a 31-year-old forward who could have kept going but wanted to leave the game on his own terms. Others might have struggled through and kept going just to get paid each week. Instead Merrin put his teammates, his club and his fans first.

SINNER

The hopeless NRL inconsistency from the referees to the match review committee and judiciary, in their adjudication of foul play. That Latrell Mitchell was banned for double the length of time of Storm forward Felise Kaufusi absolutely stinks. Kaufusi’s tackle sidelined a player for five weeks with a head injury. Latrell’s backhanded whack wouldn’t have knocked your old columnist over.

SINNER II

The low-life who used his mobile phone to film a Parramatta player having sex in a toilet cubicle — then tried to cash in on it.

SHOOSH

Which Shire fruit and vegie tycoon won a squillion backing his mate Paul Gallen to knock out Lucas Browne in the first round at the juicy odds of $51.

SHOOSH

Which NRL coach and his general manager of football are at odds over one of the game’s best playmakers. The coach thinks the player is worth $200,000 more than the GM is.

SHOOSH

Sacked Cronulla coach John Morris won’t be unemployed for too long. He’s already had interest from three NRL clubs about assistant roles for next season.

SHOOSH

Months after sacking club legend Steve Price as general manager of football, the struggling Bulldogs have still not replaced him. This — coupled with the stress of losing games — has left new coach Trent Barrett under enormous strain.

SPOTTED

New Sharks signing Will Chambers and Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman handing out clothing to the homeless in Martin Place on Wednesday night.

Cronulla Sharks’ Will Chambers and Dragons’ Corey Norman handing out clothes and meeting homeless people at Martin Place.

Cronulla Sharks’ Will Chambers and Dragons’ Corey Norman handing out clothes and meeting homeless people at Martin Place.
Corey Norman has spent time helping the homeless in Sydney for years.

Corey Norman has spent time helping the homeless in Sydney for years.
SPOTTED

Greg Alexander, Phil Gould, Dean Ritchie, Jeff Fenech, Craig Gower and Royce Simmons on luxurious Hayman Island at the wedding of construction tycoon and former Panthers forward Lou Zivanoivic to his long-time partner Olivia.

SPOTTED

NRL props no longer eat pies and bad food. Bulldogs star Luke Thompson was spotted buying fresh salmon at Notaras Seafood Market in Cronulla last week.

SPOTTED

The 8th Immortal Joey Johns holding an inner sanctum experience for 20 guests at Stadium Australia on Wednesday, with Joey hosting a lunch before taking the group through the Blues’ dressing sheds and out onto the field to show them some of the greatest plays of his celebrated career. Promoter Adam Wilcox plans to make the ‘Open Air Boardroom Days’ a regular even

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't know Yvonne Sampson was married to Ch9 reporter Chris O'Keeffe.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seriously! Breaking news - a Bulldogs player buys a fish! Woopdeedoo!

Next thing you know they will have film of him eating it & it'll be on the front page of the Telegraph.

By the way, today was our anniversary of our first game on Thursday April 25 1935 V North Sydney

North Sydney 20 (Ferrier 2, Deitz, Abel tries, Thompson 3, Abel goals) d Canterbury 5 (Hartwell try, Carey goal) at North Sydney Oval. Referee – Tom McMahon.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Look at the point scorers for Norths

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The low-life who used his mobile phone to film a Parramatta player having sex in a toilet cubicle — then tried to cash in on it

Had they done it to a Bulldog's player, the story would have been front page - headlined "Dirty Dogs".

It happened to SBW when he played for us, and there was no criticism of the low life who filmed it.