Opinion Said it once say it again

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sherwins pass was equally good. It's his running game that was weakest but didn't need to use it frequently as he had Anasta at 5/8th and strong outside backs.

Remember.....he was a whisker from dethroning Andrew Johns from SOO.

It's disrespectful to even put Burton in the same conversation as Sherwin
It's not disrespectful at all. Burton has played origin and for Australia, and his career is really just in its infancy.. Sherwin had the benefit of great players around him, which Burton does not have. Look I love Sherwin, I thought he was very underrated, but played in a period where the competition was full of good halfbacks (unlike now).. and I wasn't saying Burton is better than Sherwin or trying to compare their overall ability - I was just saying that a try assist is a try assist regardless of whether it's off a kick or a pass. Don't get it twisted.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not disrespectful at all. Burton has played origin and for Australia, and his career is really just in its infancy.. Sherwin had the benefit of great players around him, which Burton does not have. Look I love Sherwin, I thought he was very underrated, but played in a period where the competition was full of good halfbacks (unlike now).. and I wasn't saying Burton is better than Sherwin or trying to compare their overall ability - I was just saying that a try assist is a try assist regardless of whether it's off a kick or a pass. Don't get it twisted.
Fair enough.
However, although Sherwin has the benefit of a full career with runs on the board, Sherwin already had the ball playing ability at the same stage of their careers.

Burton even in the games at Penrith before being moved to centre, didn't show much of ball playing ability. Very clunky in fact.

People keep referring to his infancy in grade, but reality is that he has played in the halves in a strong system as well as with us, and other than kick plays, he hasn't set the world on fire other than with kicks. Only time he has continually looked good with his running game, is at centre.

You can't blame people for thinking that's his best spot.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kennel will be in uproar when Flanagan is named at 9 against Parramatta.
As long as it's just a full-on role and he is denoted once Reed is back, I don't think it will be uproar

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fair enough.
However, although Sherwin has the benefit of a full career with runs on the board, Sherwin already had the ball playing ability at the same stage of their careers.

Burton even in the games at Penrith before being moved to centre, didn't show much of ball playing ability. Very clunky in fact.

People keep referring to his infancy in grade, but reality is that he has played in the halves in a strong system as well as with us, and other than kick plays, he hasn't set the world on fire other than with kicks. Only time he has continually looked good with his running game, is at centre.

You can't blame people for thinking that's his best spot.
His last 3 games Burton is averaging 93 running metres, has 2 line breaks and 10 tackle busts with 4 offloads.

He's also had 7 try assists in his last 4 games.

His running game has been fine considering he's also running the whole team without any help from the fullback or five-eighth and he does 90% of the kicking.

For all the complaints about Burton he's putting up pretty decent numbers and contributing to a huge percentage of our points for someone who supposedly isn't a half and should be moved to centre.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s a 6 you turnip! But for now he’s the best 7. Watch him go when he’s next to a 7 that can actually contribute. Karl will be lock

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Behind benji, He’s probably in the discussion of one of the best 22 year old 6s in decades. . Fittler, Daley and Locky all stated as centres or fullback

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you consider we have a rookie 6, a rookie 7, our 13 is chopped and changed on a weekly basis plus we have a FB that offers zero in attack … I’m surprised the team isn’t having a score put on them every week ..

On top of that we haven’t had our full forward pack on the park all season ..

When you look at the bigger picture the team are trying their guts out.

For me the most important thing right now is to have our most experienced players in the most important positions ..

@Marki is the only other person on the K that can see Averillo should be playing 6 ..

With Burton, Mahoney and Averillo in the spine, that instantly gives us 3 attacking threats up front where right now we really only have 2 .. there’s immediate improvement, opposition know how well Averillo can run the ball so that immediately takes a lot more attacking attention away from Mahoney and Burton ..

That’s nothing against KO .. no young player should ever be promoted especially to the spine unless the club is prepared to stick with them for at least 15/20 games in that position to find their feet and confidence ..

With the young squad we have right now we’re really not in a position to be promoting young players and then dropping them … especially when they’re not ready & KO was not ready, he didn’t even do a pre season with us ..

The thing is we have players that can adequately cover centre and wing .. what we need to do is go in with the most experienced spine that we can ..

What’s wrong with ..

9 - Mahoney
7 - Burton
6 - Averillo
1 - Kiraz
13 - Brown

That’s the most experienced spine we could field ..

I personally haven’t seen Kiraz play FB .. but some on here rate him and one thing I know is he’ll more than have a go, he’ll run straight and hard make metres and give the team his all ..

Those saying Averillo is a just a centre need to go look at the 7 missed tackles on Sunday and his defensive record .. yes he’s scoring try’s, but he can score those same try’s from 6 plus have more defence around him plus set up others to score even more … he’s elusive, good passing game and he follows up and supports well, we need him to get the ball in his hands more often, at 6 he’ll certain do that ..

Everyone keeps complaining that all we do is buy centres .. leave the left side alone, pick the best replacement centre for Averillo, prob Burns and Wilson left wing ..

That immediately gives us the strongest most creative spine we’ve fielded all year, and takes a lot of pressure off Burton having to be the one to produce everything ..

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He’s a 6 you turnip! But for now he’s the best 7. Watch him go when he’s next to a 7 that can actually contribute. Karl will be lock
Problem is where are we finding this 7?

Looks like it's Hunt or nothing.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Vs Parra
1. Avo
6. Burton
7. Rajab
9. Flanno
14. KO
Who you using in the centres for Avo?

I have misgivings about Avo's bomb catching abilities and f/b defence. He started off great last year when Potter put him there but fell away.

For some reason (with no real basis or confidence) it think Wilson can handle it. Papa probably needs a bit longer in Cup.

But its re-arranging the deck chairs till we get a decent spine really.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but Roo it's probably not doing Burto any favours playing 7 when he's not really a 7. We know he is just filling in but it's another case of playing players out of their best positions.

All indicators are that Burto's best strengths apart from his kicks, is his running game and he can't really organise to the extent this team needs with a poor spine.. His strengths are negated at 7 and he probably doesn't want the 7 on his back.

We don't have much but the team needs an organiser at 7. Burto will not be that player and his footy and progress is being stifled.

Problem is who plays 7. Having said that if Burto prefers 6 and wants it back, if he gets it back he needs to make it his.

I think of what we have put:
7. Nu Brown just to organise and dart over from dummy half :grinning:
6. Burton so he can continue to learn 5/8.

Continue KO's development as 14.

Really a big lift is required by all the players and that could be achieved by dropping back the mistake riddled, non executing serial offenders to reserve grade.
We need someone like Ben hunt.
That's what we need.
There literally is no one at our club currently adequate to do what we need at 7 right now.
And our expert coaching staff who know a lot more than anyone here on the kennel feel right now Burton at 7 is what's required in the short term.

They have a plan, and I can understand what they are trying to do any why.
And I understand it's not ideal, sometimes you have to look past the trees to see the forest.

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
KO -6
Rajab - 7
And while Reed is injured I guess there putting Kyle at 9

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We need someone like Ben hunt.
That's what we need.
There literally is no one at our club currently adequate to do what we need at 7 right now.
And our expert coaching staff who know a lot more than anyone here on the kennel feel right now Burton at 7 is what's required in the short term.

They have a plan, and I can understand what they are trying to do any why.
And I understand it's not ideal, sometimes you have to look past the trees to see the forest.
Ben Hunt would be good Roo. I'd just like to see Burto settle into 6 at present where he will be playing long term, rather than putting him at 7. Understand Ciro's reasoning but it's not doing Burto any favours.

You're right tho, they def have a plan.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is where are we finding this 7?

Looks like it's Hunt or nothing.
Hunt, either Keary or Walker but I would still chase the value signing with Trindall.

The debate on TK over whether Burton is a half or not. Provides answers for some on here that absolutely amaze me. I assume most people on here are diehard footy fans. They watch most games not just Bulldogs games.

Yet the amount of people that use the word “halves” on this forum and think that a 6 & 7 are both halves. Therefore they are the same position. They are not the same position people!

Burton is a “developing” 6. He isn’t there yet as a 6. He is NOT a 7 at all. His game doesn’t come close to what attributes are required for a 7. He has been playing there through necessity. He isn’t our long term answer at 7. Unless we want to remain a bottom 8 team for a few more years.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I ain't replying to all you Burton circle jerkers, like talking to a fucking brick wall on here.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We are in the convo. Hopefully saints season keeps going shit house so it’s sooner rather than later
We don't need a 7, Burton is JT.