Opinion Saab Try

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that it makes a difference but if someone has a minute can they screen shot on here how far offside the 17 for the Dragons was on the Saab try . It was at least 5 metres and he got involved .

Don’t know how video ref missed it

Didn’t cost the game though . Playing Montoya over Avo did !!!
Mate Holland was the bigger issue

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still can't believe Crichton knocked the ball on 30m sideways.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember when Jamaal Lolesi scored a try in the same situation to win a game but the video ref ruled it out because they used Pythagoras theorem to determine he was offside when he was clearly onside?

I think it was 2005 when we missed the finals after winning the comp..

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember when Jamaal Lolesi scored a try in the same situation to win a game but the video ref ruled it out because they used Pythagoras theorem to determine he was offside when he was clearly onside?

I don't recall that specific incident but my local state member is tim mander. I still query him about some vid ref decisions he made.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't recall that specific incident but my local state member is tim mander. I still query him about some vid ref decisions he made.
Haha. He fucked us many a time! Giraffe looking muthafucka..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Yes and there was one involving Nigel Vagana too. He wasn't the try scorer but involved 20m away!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

It was a golden point game at the Showground against Souths Cameron Phelps either scored the try and was called off side for being inside the 10. If he was inside the 10 he would have been in by a millimetre.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was a golden point game at the Showground against Souths Cameron Phelps either scored the try and was called off side for being inside the 10. If he was inside the 10 he would have been in by a millimetre.
Yeah you nailed it! The Showground... Those were the days. Maybe the worst place to watch footy at ever.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah you nailed it! The Showground... Those were the days. Maybe the worst place to watch footy at ever.
It was a shocker I had probably the closet seats to the field in the place and was still over 20-30m from the field!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not as much as Steven Clark. The most hating Bulldogs ref imo of all time, and yes, I mean more than Sutton.
Fuck Clark was a prick. He was always so angry! Paul Simpkins fucked us over a bunch too.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was a shocker I had probably the closet seats to the field in the place and was still over 20-30m from the field!
I know it was crazy. There truly wasn't one good seat in the stadium. Sitting in the corner sections you might as well have been outside the stadium.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I must need an eye test then because I reckon he’s clearly offside

And when it went to video they only asked about Saab
yes you definitely need an eye test because you said he was at least 5m offside, notice how the 30m line is diagonal? well your imaginary offside line should also be at that angle

so if the dragons players they are offside by 8-10cm

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this is what it would look like if he was 5m offside

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I remember this situation and always think about it when they bring up passive offside or different interpretations over the years, If I remember correctly the bulldog was as passive as possible but they got him

I even think there was a time when we got pulled up for picking up a ball like this when the player stayed outside the 10 and it was knocked on or back

as a kid I remember the chasers were automatically put back onside when it was touched by an opponent and they could come within the 10 to get it

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That line isn’t straight it’s not parallel to to 30 and 40 lines.
It's close enough to straight. Still shows he was clearly off side.

I'm not sour about it which is a poor reflection of the situation right now. Sadly my expectations have fallen low at this time and I'm generally waiting for a defensive lapse or error to cost us dearly. I really want to see the boys win, so my hopes are still high that we'll have a winning streak. But my biggest hope is that we'll sort out a halves combination that is competitive going into next year. I had hoped that through this period when our cap was screwed, we'd see a bunch of juniors stake a claim to be in the side post rebuild. Toomaga and Averillo have done so. But Wakeham and a few others haven't taken much advantage of the opportunity they've received.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
yes you definitely need an eye test because you said he was at least 5m offside, notice how the 30m line is diagonal? well your imaginary offside line should also be at that angle

so if the dragons players they are offside by 8-10cm
With the current rules, the discretion of the referees has become a massive grey area and decisions can go a variety of ways. It's a bit of a sad state when someone that's been a spectator for close to 40 years no longer feels like the rules of the game are clear anymore.