Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont know if this has been posted already, if so mods please delete

Daly ripe for picking at right price: Orr
HE WON a grand final in his rookie year, is touring with Australia, and has been named the best halfback on the planet - but Manly are facing a fight to keep Daly Cherry-Evans.

The manager of Cherry-Evans, Gavin Orr, has warned that he will not hesitate to take the playmaker away from the club if he does not get an upgrade to his $135,000-a-year deal.

There have been suggestions that Cherry-Evans might have an out clause or an option on his deal, which takes him through to the end of 2013, which means the 22-year-old might be a surprise addition to the player market next year.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Orr was tight-lipped on the fine print of the deal, but given that Cherry-Evans has made such a stunning rise to the top tier of NRL players, it is clear he would like his client to have a contract reflecting that.

Melbourne's Cooper Cronk will be off contract at the end of 2012, but Cherry-Evans will no doubt attract similar interest from NRL clubs, whether he is available for 2013 or 2014, given he is the incumbent premiership winning No.7 and now touring with Cronk.

Orr has held preliminary discussions with Manly officials about Cherry-Evans's contract but yesterday he said: ''If they don't look to upgrade in 2012, I can't see Daly wanting to stay.''

Orr said Cherry-Evans could be convinced to follow his coach, Des Hasler, to the Bulldogs, if the club showed an interest.

Many other clubs will be keen to secure a player of Cherry-Evans's calibre, if he is available. South Sydney have been linked with various halfbacks, including Cronk, after losing Chris Sandow to Parramatta. The Storm will be under intense pressure to hold on to Cronk, which means that club might also need a No.7.

Brisbane, too, will have to cope with life without Darren Lockyer and they will no doubt be on the lookout for a halves partner to combine with Peter Wallace should Lockyer's replacements fail to fire. Penrith and Wests Tigers are other clubs that might show an interest.

The Sea Eagles do not deny this and the chairman, Scott Penn, yesterday said he wanted to see Cherry-Evans in a Manly jumper for the rest of his life, but he clearly faces a battle to ensure that happens.

''We're looking at extending him,'' Penn said. ''We've had some very preliminary discussions but, certainly, we want to retain him long term.

''He and Kieran [Foran] are a formidable combination. We'll do everything we can to make sure they're both one-club players. We'd certainly like to see them stay for their whole careers, if possible.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leagu...z1ckaugs3q

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
Hodkinson improved greatly in the back end of this season. Am convinced he'll do very well next year. No thanks to DCE.

PS. Was he really named the best halfback in the world? Wtf? Is that a joke, lol.

C

chipandchase

lets see how they both perform next year, can Hodkinson play for a whole season and not 6 or so games when the season is over and will Cherry-Evans continue his rise.
then we can make a fair comparison between the two.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hodkinson improved greatly in the back end of this season. Am convinced he'll do very well next year. No thanks to DCE.

PS. Was he really named the best halfback in the world? Wtf? Is that a joke, lol.
Absolute nonsense, that award. A very good player, certainly, but Hasler and Foran contribute a hell of a lot to his success. Look at what Thurston does with a much lesser supporting cast. Or what Cronk did with a rookie and converted fullback at 6.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No way Daly the Hyphen. Early last season (2011) for about 5-6 games Hodko went well, then the wheels got real wobbly. But the wheels got wobbly all over, it wasn't just the fella in #7. Mainly it was shown in the forwards with bugger all go forward and, just as bad, they held up the sign reading: "Try Line - This Way". The end result was Coach Tadpole given the early exit and Jim Dymock coaching them for the last seven games. He only had them the day before the Warriors match - so not in the count.

Then they all had a go and backed themselves to be able to go a bit better. Hodko did it too. What I remember about him from last season is that he can beat a tackle and make a break, he is a strong defender and he does kick field goals. So with a strong pack in front of him plus a regular combination with a lock and five eighth Hodko will be one that will put in a big performance all the time.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
6. Foran
7. Hodkinson

That is all..................
Disagree, Maloney & Hodko & we get the bonus of a top line goal kicker, Turner 2nd string goal kicker.
Every team which is a top 8 prospect needs an exceptional goal kicker, Bulldogs do not have one and please don't recomend Goodwin!

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't need anyone other than Foran. If they get the "downie" brothers and Matai then I'll find another club to support

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
lets see how they both perform next year, can Hodkinson play for a whole season and not 6 or so games when the season is over and will Cherry-Evans continue his rise.
not quite

dce has foran, hasler and a decent forward pack creating room for him ad nauseum

hodkinson doesn't even have a 5/8 cemented to the role (let alone an international 5/8) and he doesn't have the international coach of the year (best coach the last 5 years in the NRL ) behind him the last few years either. or a forward pack regularly creating space for him (so far)

a fair comparison? i beg too differ

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
how can you compare the 2 when one is playing with an awesome 5/8 while the other has a dud 5/8?

To compare them, remove Foran out of the equation and see how DCE goes.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Disagree, Maloney & Hodko & we get the bonus of a top line goal kicker, Turner 2nd string goal kicker.
Every team which is a top 8 prospect needs an exceptional goal kicker, Bulldogs do not have one and please don't recomend Goodwin!
Benji Marshall is an exceptional Goal Kicker? Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

A goal kicker is an added bonus. I wouldnt sign someone only cuz they are a good goal kicker though.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Benji Marshall is an exceptional Goal Kicker? Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

A goal kicker is an added bonus. I wouldnt sign someone only cuz they are a good goal kicker though.
I did not say that! I just put forward my opinion that I believe James Maloney would be the best choice 5/8 for the Dogs to add to their playing roster asap!! the bonus would be that he is an exceptional Goal Kicker. I also like the fact he is from NSW and not from Qld or NZ, not because I have a problem with Qld or NZ players but I think it would be best to have both your play makers from the State where the team is based nothing more, nothing less.
Not sure what B M has to do with anything I said?

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I did not say that! I just put forward my opinion that I believe James Maloney would be the best choice 5/8 for the Dogs to add to their playing roster asap!! the bonus would be that he is an exceptional Goal Kicker. I also like the fact he is from NSW and not from Qld or NZ, not because I have a problem with Qld or NZ players but I think it would be best to have both your play makers from the State where the team is based nothing more, nothing less.
Not sure what B M has to do with anything I said?
James Maloney: The older version of Kris Keating.

No thanks.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
James Maloney: The older version of Kris Keating.

No thanks.
Thanks but, if you need to criticize ones sugestion then you should at least have an alterantive!! how could you put Maloney in the same basket as KK??

Status
Not open for further replies.