RUMOUR: Latrell Mitchell Consolidated Thread

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While Mitchell is a signing priority, the Roosters have several other players they need to retain. Siosiua Taukeiaho, Jake Friend, Joseph Manu, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Nat Butcher all come off contract at the same time as Mitchell, meaning rivals can also pounce on them from November 1....
Can't see us getting Latrell, Rorters won't let him go. TKO & Manu would be really good signings, let Manu play FB if need be.

Eventhough he's a bit busted, Friend would also be a good signing - he'd solve hooker for a couple of years but his real value would be to teach Hetherington's boy how to play FG hooker so he's ready when Friend retires. Of course, I doubt the Rorters would let him go so we'd have to pay overs.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Just hope its just a rumor created to send a message to other potential stars, and we don't end up with Mitchell, even for 5 years its just to risky, could easily end up with another Barber, but forking out $1M a year.
I’m certain we’d get more out of him than Montoya, Holland and Hoppa combined

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was with Mitchell not us
It's besides the point, whether he was with Mitchell or whether he travelled with the tattooed leb, the point is travelling to taree to speak to a players father, cultural leader, the player himself without the clubs full blessing is just stupid.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not really wether we get Mitchell or not, this will bring the attention of every player manager in the game knowing that we will be able to put together a potential premiership winning team in a few years, if we manage to get Mitchell it’s a bonus, if not then fuck it we got the attention of every other big name players and their managers
It doesn't work like that. It's a dirty business. There's more to it.
The whole world knows we have a war chest for 2021.
Player managers know whats going on, but the whole public don't need to hear it.
Letting this all out in the media without the full blessing of the club can be detrimental to actually signing a player.
The roosters will have a 5 months to work on a plan to convince him to stay.
What happened to the way we bought DWZ on the hush hush without fuss, like a thief in the night. That's the way to do things when the right people get involved.
This Latrell thing will only make it harder for us to get him.
That's what happens when amatuers & non club officials get involved in this kind of stuff.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Player managers know whats going on, but the whole public don't need to hear it.
Letting this all out in the media without the full blessing of the club can be detrimental to actually signing a player.
What happened to the way we bought DWZ on the hush hush without fuss, like a thief in the night. That's the way to do things when the right people get involved.
That's what happens when amatuers & non club officials get involved in this kind of stuff.
Conversely, Club Officials aren't allowed to approach Mitchell (or his agent) until November and by then it could well be too late. No way the Chooks are going to wait November to resign him, they would have already well and truly started on the process. By using a 3rd party we have upped the asking price so the Chooks can't suck him into a lower than market value contract before November, the bar has now been set at $1m a season. It also puts the NRL on notice that if they get, say, a $650k contract to ratify for Mitchell then they need to look at the whole deal very closely. Simply because no one is going to cop a $350k pay cut (effectively) just because the Chooks are "nice" people.

DWZ was a different scenario, he was released by Penrith to talk to other clubs in May, no way the Chooks would release Mitchell to talk to other clubs now, before November.

Go Dogs

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Conversely, Club Officials aren't allowed to approach Mitchell (or his agent) until November and by then it could well be too late. No way the Chooks are going to wait November to resign him, they would have already well and truly started on the process. By using a 3rd party we have upped the asking price so the Chooks can't suck him into a lower than market value contract before November, the bar has now been set at $1m a season. It also puts the NRL on notice that if they get, say, a $650k contract to ratify for Mitchell then they need to look at the whole deal very closely. Simply because no one is going to cop a $350k pay cut (effectively) just because the Chooks are "nice" people.

DWZ was a different scenario, he was released by Penrith to talk to other clubs in May, no way the Chooks would release Mitchell to talk to other clubs now, before November.

Go Dogs
How many brown paper bags would it take to fit in $350,000 in 100s do you think?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How many brown paper bags would it take to fit in $350,000 in 100s do you think?
Depends on how big the bag is ;)

Seriously, I think $350k is a bit much even for Chook sized paper bags. A $100k maybe but a $350k difference from a club that can demonstrably afford it, you would hope the salary cap auditor is all over it. Plus they do have access to tax returns so it would have to hidden there and that's go to goal tax fraud if it wasn't declared.

Go Dogs

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters wipe their hands clean when ever a player goes awol they fuck them off they aren’t a team club they are a club that’s wins with the money and brings sucess on field . I can see him coming here . All we need is him outside, grab Corey Oates . Maybe a fullback and 100 percent get a hooker. Foran will be off contract in a year I think also

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Seriously, I think $350k is a bit much even for Chook sized paper bags. A $100k maybe but a $350k difference from a club that can demonstrably afford it, you would hope the salary cap auditor is all over it. Plus they do have access to tax returns so it would have to hidden there and that's go to goal tax fraud if it wasn't declared.

Go Dogs
Yeah true I was thinking take away size brown paper bags.
I once got asked by a client if you could fit $1 million in cash into a briefcase just before he was getting on a flight to Indonesia

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I agree with what you're saying but this is the roosters you know?
Who else could buy Tedesco, Cronk, keary, Chricton (even if it was a flop) + Whoever else in a 2 year period when the only notable players they let go were Pearce and Fergo who were on no where near those amount of $$$

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cronk leaving after 2019 will make it easy for them to sign Latrell if they wanted to keep him. I suspect they would let him go.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying but this is the roosters you know?
Who else could buy Tedesco, Cronk, keary, Chricton (even if it was a flop) + Whoever else in a 2 year period when the only notable players they let go were Pearce and Fergo who were on no where near those amount of $$$
I'm as suspicious as anyone about how the Chooks fit in who they do, but 2017 and 2018 they let go;
Smith, not big bucks, now with us.
Napa, reasonably $'s, now with us.
Gordon, likely on reasonable $'s
Cornish, not big bucks.
Watson, not big bucks.
Matterson, on reasonable $'s
Ferguson, on reasonable $'s
Evans, not big bucks.
Guerra, he was on OK $'s if I remember rightly
Kenny-Dowall, he was definitely on big $'s
Pearce, definitely on big $'s

The Chooks churn through players pretty rapidly, it's a sausage machine, they eat 'em up and spit 'em out. As a result it's hard to keep track of their ins and outs. They have only 6 players off contract his year (Cronk aside, no one on $big) and 9 off contract next year, so I'd say that they are going to have to move some on before their contract expires to make cap space for those that they need to upgrade to keep.

Go Dogs

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tuck your flaps back into your pants mate ..

Give us a break from taking a morale high ground. If you think this is a recent development then you need to get your head out of the ground .. This is what the NRL have created and don’t fool yourself in thinking we’re the only club looking at swooping on Mitchell ..

The kid is frikkn superstar , he has the ability to turn and win games single handedly .. there is no price or contract term you put on a player with those abilities ,you just do what it takes

I for one am sick of this club toeing the line to the current NRL administration ... Phuk ‘em and if the rules they set allows for unaffiliated persons to contact and negotiate then I’m all for it and I doubt we’re the only ones exploiting this scenario

Typical of the roosters to release negative articles and feed this to media and putting pressure on Mitchell ...

I hope we pull this off and ruffle some feathers cause the rorting roosters and corrupt NRL have had us in the slip stream for way too long

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tuck your flaps back into your pants mate ..

Give us a break from taking a morale high ground. If you think this is a recent development then you need to get your head out of the ground .. This is what the NRL have created and don’t fool yourself in thinking we’re the only club looking at swooping on Mitchell ..

The kid is frikkn superstar , he has the ability to turn and win games single handedly .. there is no price or contract term you put on a player with those abilities ,you just do what it takes

I for one am sick of this club toeing the line to the current NRL administration ... Phuk ‘em and if the rules they set allows for unaffiliated persons to contact and negotiate then I’m all for it and I doubt we’re the only ones exploiting this scenario

Typical of the roosters to release negative articles and feed this to media and putting pressure on Mitchell ...

I hope we pull this off and ruffle some feathers cause the rorting roosters and corrupt NRL have had us in the slip stream for way too long
Cool, no worries

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm as suspicious as anyone about how the Chooks fit in who they do, but 2017 and 2018 they let go;
Smith, not big bucks, now with us.
Napa, reasonably $'s, now with us.
Gordon, likely on reasonable $'s
Cornish, not big bucks.
Watson, not big bucks.
Matterson, on reasonable $'s
Ferguson, on reasonable $'s
Evans, not big bucks.
Guerra, he was on OK $'s if I remember rightly
Kenny-Dowall, he was definitely on big $'s
Pearce, definitely on big $'s

The Chooks churn through players pretty rapidly, it's a sausage machine, they eat 'em up and spit 'em out. As a result it's hard to keep track of their ins and outs. They have only 6 players off contract his year (Cronk aside, no one on $big) and 9 off contract next year, so I'd say that they are going to have to move some on before their contract expires to make cap space for those that they need to upgrade to keep.

Go Dogs
Mostly agree, though I don't think Gordon was on reasonable dollars, he wasnt their first string FB, more of a stop gap for them.
Matterson was no one until last year and thats when he left so I think small $$s here.
Kenny-Dowall was on OK $$ and Pearce was on OK dollars but not to the tune of Teddy/Cronk/Cricton etc.

Their gains have far outweighed their losses and when you have:
Cronk - $1m
Teddy $1m
Cricton -$1m
Keary - Circa $800k
That's almost $4m of a $9.6m cap between 4 players.
That leaves $5,800,000 between the remaining 26 players ($223k per player) which includes JWH, Latrell, Aubusson, Cordner, Jake Friend, TKO, Tetevano, Radley, Tupou, Bmoz, Manu and Hall who all would have to be on more than $223,000.

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
Inglis went from 3 to 6 to 1 so it's possible with Mitchell as well
even though Inglis won a premiership wearing the 6, he never looked natural in that role. his passing hasn't really developed over all the years. latrell also looks awkward at 6, i think he should play 3 for as long as he can and then move into the second row when he loses a bit of speed.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just read on Zero Tackle that the Rorters will not go into bidding war for Mitchell ( Bullshit ) and they are saying they love him and he is better off under Robinson and if his motive is money he can go.
Who are they kidding ?
All their players are very highly paid and are ripped away from other clubs, they are way exceeding the salary cap and getting away with it through the TPA pretending they have nothing to with it ( Bullshit ).

Now their friends in the media and the NSW rugby league are raging a fury against Mitchell unsympathetically criticizing him !
I know we got done for salary cap breaches in 2002 but all our players were brought up through our juniors system then.
The same year the CLAYTON PREMIERS the Rorters were over the salary cap by $300 K and got away with it !!!
This is why I call it...The National Rorters League :rage:

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bullshit they won’t go higher, they will offer 800k maybe more