Rule Changes and the Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some significant rule changes to come in to season 2014 namely the 7 tackle rule if the ball goes dead in goal and the quick tap at penalties.
I really hope our halves/kickers have been putting in some extra work on their kicks during offseason and ensuring they pull up before dead ball line. I think mid field bombs will become the norm as the season progresses to nullify the 7 tackle threat. Furthermore our big forwards hopefully dont give away too many penalties however if they do they need to stay alert of the quick tap and face up in defence straight away.

How do u guys think these new rules will affect OUR team in season 2014.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
is that for all kicks? or just non attacking kicks?

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If T-Rex can get back 10m we should be fine.

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Some significant rule changes to come in to season 2014 namely the 7 tackle rule if the ball goes dead in goal and the quick tap at penalties.
I really hope our halves/kickers have been putting in some extra work on their kicks during offseason and ensuring they pull up before dead ball line. I think mid field bombs will become the norm as the season progresses to nullify the 7 tackle threat. Furthermore our big forwards hopefully dont give away too many penalties however if they do they need to stay alert of the quick tap and face up in defence straight away.

How do u guys think these new rules will affect OUR team in season 2014.
Sorry, how does the 7 tackle work.? I haven't heard about this. I don't get it. Please explain?

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Sorry, how does the 7 tackle work.? I haven't heard about this. I don't get it. Please explain?
If you have the ball and put a kick in that goes dead behind the goals the other team comes back for a 20M restart. What is different this year is that when they take the tap from the 20 and get tackled, that tackle is called the Zero tackle, not tackle 1.

So your kicking game has to be on point, you cant just kick it dead to have a rest or to send the other team back for a restart. Getting an extra tackle could put them on the attack in your half. We were really bad at getting repeat sets last year by getting the ball to pull up in the ingoal, I hope they have worked on it!

N

Natboy

The NRL mustn't have liked seeing players like Billy Slater nullified on kick returns by teams that purposely kick dead. I like the rule

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it should be for kicks outside the 20m only. Who tries to kick dead from inside the 20 as firstly you are attacking and secondly your defence is already there and that would nulify the potent fullback issue ie slater running it back at pace?
It will avoid the midfield bomb a little more which must be the most unsightly attacking option in the game.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I dont realy see it changing that much. an extra tackle down the defending end wont scare too many teams.
Remember, teams give away penalties and an entire set, on their own 10, to break up other teams momentum. The roosters had it down to a form of art last season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think with the game speeding up a lil, teams will start to make even bigger gains through our ruck. Im hope we see increased rotation through our ruck otherwise teams will run riot through us.

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you have the ball and put a kick in that goes dead behind the goals the other team comes back for a 20M restart. What is different this year is that when they take the tap from the 20 and get tackled, that tackle is called the Zero tackle, not tackle 1.

So your kicking game has to be on point, you cant just kick it dead to have a rest or to send the other team back for a restart. Getting an extra tackle could put them on the attack in your half. We were really bad at getting repeat sets last year by getting the ball to pull up in the ingoal, I hope they have worked on it!
Thanks for that. Maybe they should have just taken the tap from the 30m line instead of an extra tackle?

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, teams give away penalties and an entire set, on their own 10, to break up other teams momentum. The roosters had it down to a form of art last season.
Exactly, we did this well in 2012 too.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We would need to be very careful not to give the the opposition the bonus of a seven tackle set which would put them in our 20 metre area. To make a habit of giving the oppo an extra play would be fatal.

IMO we would need to have kick chasers either positioned to score or force a line drop out before we put the grubber in. For long range metre gaining kicks the best option would be to go for touch and force a scrum.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think with the game speeding up a lil, teams will start to make even bigger gains through our ruck. Im hope we see increased rotation through our ruck otherwise teams will run riot through us.
Good point..but you know it could work in the Doggies favour the new dead ball kick..imagine Kasiano and his other big mates rampaging up the field on a zero tackle.. Provided they could get there in time!!

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Rule worked alright tonight actually, we have to see how we handle it though.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
rule actually makes fullbacks want to let the ball run dead now

Status
Not open for further replies.