rugby league week - recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulk hogan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A lot of these players have become marquee players Hasler said. And, you can’t deny the merit of players like Josh Jackson, David Klemmer and Moses Mbye.

As I see it Jackson, Klemmer and Mbye are just three of our players, so who are the rest of the marquee players in our seventeen man squad Des?
EASTWOOD, LANE ( a young gun in the making) and RONA are all of contract at the end of 2016!!!

It's going to take some serious coin to hold onto Rona especially if he has a similar season to last.
Lane is just going to get better with more game time, he shear size is sure to get him noticed by rival clubs and
Eastwood is just a beast in no uncertain terms!!![/QUOTE]

What about Morris twins big kas we are working for something big halves will be settled from round 1 this year

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Des is doing the right thing. We all sit back on our arm chairs and criticize him but clearly he is about winning and retention. Letting Pritchard, Lafai, Cook, Ennis etc go - this will help us retain players like Mbye (already done), Jackson, Klemmer and even Abbey when he turns into a superstar. We are quick to snap because we have an emotional attachment to these players, but at the end of the day we would be more spewing if we lost someone like Klemmer over Pritchard.
All good in theory but he's been here 3 seasons now and we are still without a premiership

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All good in theory but he's been here 3 seasons now and we are still without a premiership
That's a fairly narrow and short sighted argument Mr I. We may not have the elusive Premiership but we have come damn close twice in these past 4 seasons. I might not agree with everything Des does but when I look at coaches like Jason Taylor, Ricky Stuart etc....etc... I feel damn glad to have Hasler as our coach.

As for Lafai I'm not really fussed either way!!! I like my footballers to get dirty, with a fire in the belly and a F.U attitude towards the opponents, not looking like a movie star that's just stepped off the red carpet without a hair out of place. Que sera sera!!! The sky has not fallen in with Lafai's departure and the sun with shine again tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That's a fairly narrow and short sighted argument Mr I. We may not have the elusive Premiership but we have come damn close twice in these past 4 seasons. I might not agree with everything Des does but when I look at coaches like Jason Taylor, Ricky Stuart etc....etc... I feel damn glad to have Hasler as our coach.

As for Lafai I'm not really fussed either way!!! I like my footballers to get dirty, with a fire in the belly and a F.U attitude towards the opponents, not looking like a movie star that's just stepped off the red carpet without a hair out of place. Que sera sera!!!
But coming second is as good as coming 15th in the comp!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But coming second is as good as coming 15th in the comp!
Not when you have 14 other teams that would kill to finish in your position. DON'T FORGET even the last placed sides claim the proverbial wooden spoon I bet given the chance they would see coming second as a very successful year!!!

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100% agree these people on here who think it's easy to win a comp
Just cause we have des reality Tim is rubbish deal with it hoppa came back to parra the worse team in the Comp and want him to be In Good form hoppa will be great for us
No one thinks its easy to win a comp, people are concerned because we have gone from 2012 Minor premiers and being one of the most exciting teams to 3 years of the same old boring predictable style. We let barba go and had no back up and we were going to pay 800k for fifita despite having one of the best packs in the competition.

Brett Morris only came over because he wanted to play with his brother again, now its going to be 2016 and we havent recruited anyone except an out of form winger.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one thinks its easy to win a comp, people are concerned because we have gone from 2012 Minor premiers and being one of the most exciting teams to 3 years of the same old boring predictable style. We let barba go and had no back up and we were going to pay 800k for fifita despite having one of the best packs in the competition.

Brett Morris only came over because he wanted to play with his brother again, now its going to be 2016 and we havent recruited anyone except an out of form winger.
It has MoneyBall written all over it. Now if only we could string together 20 straight wins like Oakland did in 2002, wouldn't that be something???

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Worth noting every other club has made recruitment changes to strengthen areas their club faultered/lacked in 2015, except us.
Just my opinion but apart from our "revolving door" half back - five eighth situation in 2015 the thing that is killing the Bulldogs is non coach Des Hasler.

In attack they pick us off like ducks in a shooting gallery and in attack we go nowhere.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

As for Lafai I'm not really fussed either way!!! I like my footballers to get dirty, with a fire in the belly and a F.U attitude towards the opponents, not looking like a movie star that's just stepped off the red carpet without a hair out of place. Que sera sera!!! The sky has not fallen in with Lafai's departure and the sun with shine again tomorrow.
I agree with you. Lafai is good when he's on but he hasn't been for a while now. Reality is everyone complains that des just keeps doing the same thing and now finally something changes (for better or worse we'll soon see) and people want heads to roll.

I'm not fussed to see him go based on current form.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
A player that is on 650K a year would have to be in the 'marquee' category

Get rid of this piece of shit, Williams and and it would make recruitment and retaining much easier.

How much of not signing a gun half or losing another player can we stand when Williams is taking up
plenty of coin and a deserving spot to another who will give 100%

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
100% agree these people on here who think it's easy to win a comp
Just cause we have des reality Tim is rubbish deal with it hoppa came back to parra the worse team in the Comp and want him to be In Good form hoppa will be great for us
look, hoppa may or may not be great for us. no-one can say atm. but to say laf is rubbish youre implying that hes never had a decent run. thats bullsh1t. even with our constant lack of attacking flair over the last couple of seasons, laf has shown great footwork and strength. on his non-preferred side no less. hoppa since coming back has been OK at best. so im still wondering why we wouldnt wait to see how he goes next year and then if he has another bad year, then replace him with someone BETTER. and not someone who has shown equal or less form.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Worth noting every other club has made recruitment changes to strengthen areas their club faultered/lacked in 2015, except us.
It's also worth noting that good recruiting does not mean signing a marquee player every time you hit the player market, we are not the Roosters. Who's to say that an unknown or failed player from another team wont turn into the player we need? For example the Sydney Swans have a great track record of taking discarded players and the virtually unknown players from other teams, players that no one else wants and turning them into stars or very reliable players at least. Anyone that thinks that retention and recruitment don't go hand in hand is a fool, as one teams trash is another teams treasure. Retention of good young prospects is just as important as signing others from other clubs.

By stating that every other club has made recruitment changes to strengthen areas their club faltered/lacked in 2015, except us is ridiculous. We all agree that Lafai and Perrett leaked points badly in 2015 and it seems that the club agrees with this summation as we have recruited a kid by the name Kerrod Holland who I believe given half a chance will be a great center for us and a much needed goal kicker, I am also willing to bet that he doesn't pay much attention to his hair style while playing and if we believe all reports Hoppa is a done deal and would make a much improved winger over Perrett adding strength to our left side.

Just on Hoppa I am NOT A FAN of his but I must say this.... He has been criticized by many for his lack luster performances as a way to tear him down and to justify the anger they feel over Lafai leaving. We all know that Parra is a douche-bag of a club, a players graveyard run by incompetent people wearing St Vini suits preaching to the brainless masses of would be Premierships. I don't really blame Hoppa for not playing to his potential because I know that if my employer was trying to half my agreed upon salary I too would do a half assed job in return.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A player that is on 650K a year would have to be in the 'marquee' category

Get rid of this piece of shit, Williams and and it would make recruitment and retaining much easier.

How much of not signing a gun half or losing another player can we stand when Williams is taking up
plenty of coin and a deserving spot to another who will give 100%
CBDog you're really flogging a dead horse here as I believe that T.Rex was shopped around but there were no takers and the nicest thing I can say about your post is I like your avatar.:grinning:

Last edited by a moderator:

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It's also worth noting that good recruiting does not mean signing a marquee player every time you hit the player market, we are not the Roosters.
no we're not.....they won a comp in the last 10 years

Who's to say that an unknown or failed player from another team wont turn into the player we need? For example the Sydney Swans have a great track record of taking discarded players and the virtually unknown players from other teams, players that no one else wants and turning them into stars or very reliable players at least.

umm Buddy Franklin.....mega deal?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
no we're not.....they won a comp in the last 10 years

umm Buddy Franklin.....mega deal?
Once a wet blanket, always a wet blanket. Well in your attempt to hose down my post or should I say nit pick it, let me just say you truly do lack fire power if the best that you can do is point out that we are NOT the Roosters and even though they have won a comp in the last 10 years it is common knowledge that they don't work within the restraints of the Salary cap that most NRL clubs are forced to do, which just goes to prove that the playing field is not even across the board.

As for Buddy's Swans mega deal, good for him!!! However my example still stands true, a Buddyless swans went on to win the 2005 and 2012 Premierships with a blue collar squad made up of rejects and misfits from across the AFL with a sprinkling of draft picks to fill their squad. However it also astounds me that you failed to point out Kurt Tippet was another marquee swans signing. Anyway that's enough for a history lesson.

no1bulldog aye??? Questionable!!! Especially how you never have anything positive to say about our team and even your avatar has the son of the Late Great Peter Moore
smiling with the wooden-spoon tucked under his wing.

Just for future reference and so I don't have to explain my avatar later, it comes from the Daily Telegraph depicting how the Bulldogs swooped under Manly's guard to steal Des Hasler away.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's debatable.
Our halves were our weakest area followed closely by our right side.
We have a new halves direction and at least half a new right side (possibly completely new depending on holland).
So, it seems, they're trying to address the issues, just not in a way you like.
I also don't like some of the decisions they've made but have reconciled the fact, that at least they're trying something.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few things im hopeful of this year-
1) sam perret in nsw cup helping young guys unless injuries in 1st grade.
2)we are alot fitter than we have been in the past .
3) des picks players on merrit making them more accountable unlike what hes been doing and give underperforming players a stint in nsw cup.
4)in attack we actually have a deep backline with players running hard onto the ball.

Att des: definition of insanity is keep doing the same thing expecting a different result

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't understand all of the benefit of the doubt people continually give Hasler.

Until he proves he will change his tactics and is willing to drop out of form players then what is there to look forward to? What makes anyone believe that all of a sudden this will be the year Des' masterstroke style of play works?

Because aside from 2012, we haven't looked like scoring points.

No one really wants Hasler sacked now. We just want to see evidence that changes will be implemented and people will be held accountable. That the team has a gameplan or plays with some energy and flair.

That means not playing pet players like She-Rex and Perrett every game every week regardless of poor form, preventing more talented and hungry players from getting an opportunity which they deserve.

Abzsalam99

Waterboy
Reaction score
I don't understand all of the benefit of the doubt people continually give Hasler.

Until he proves he will change his tactics and is willing to drop out of form players then what is there to look forward to? What makes anyone believe that all of a sudden this will be the year Des' masterstroke style of play works?

Because aside from 2012, we haven't looked like scoring points.

No one really wants Hasler sacked now. We just want to see evidence that changes will be implemented and people will be held accountable. That the team has a gameplan or plays with some energy and flair.

That means not playing pet players like She-Rex and Perrett every game every week regardless of poor form, preventing more talented and hungry players from getting an opportunity which they deserve.
Werent we the 4th or 5th highest scoring team this year

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Once a wet blanket, always a wet blanket. Well in your attempt to hose down my post or should I say nit pick it, let me just say you truly do lack fire power if the best that you can do is point out that we are NOT the Roosters and even though they have won a comp in the last 10 years it is common knowledge that they don't work within the restraints of the Salary cap that most NRL clubs are forced to do, which just goes to prove that the playing field is not even across the board.

As for Buddy's Swans mega deal, good for him!!! However my example still stands true, a Buddyless swans went on to win the 2005 and 2012 Premierships with a blue collar squad made up of rejects and misfits from across the AFL with a sprinkling of draft picks to fill their squad. However it also astounds me that you failed to point out Kurt Tippet was another marquee swans signing. Anyway that's enough for a history lesson.

no1bulldog aye??? Questionable!!! Especially how you never have anything positive to say about our team and even your avatar has the son of the Late Great Peter Moore
smiling with the wooden-spoon tucked under his wing.

Just for future reference and so I don't have to explain my avatar later, it comes from the Daily Telegraph depicting how the Bulldogs swooped under Manly's guard to steal Des Hasler away.
sorry I switched off after the firepower bit:sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.