Rugby league guru speaks on Matt Burton (Podcast)

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There will be at least 2-3 players coming in every year starting from next year and they're all decent. Its about building something for these kids to join rather than building around them.
we are only three players away from being a top eight side IMO. We are a lot closer than people think.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
we are only three players away from being a top eight side IMO. We are a lot closer than people think.
And im 7 numbers short of winning the lotto.. lol

I hear what you are saying, 1 top class half, a proper fullback and just 1 x Afb type prop and we are a more dangerous side making the semis..

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And im 7 numbers short of winning the lotto.. lol

I hear what you are saying, 1 top class half, a proper fullback and just 1 x Afb type prop and we are a more dangerous side making the semis..
100% mate and the fact is we would already have those players if they where available, But we are just going to have to wait for our pups for sustained long term success.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
100% mate and the fact is we would already have those players if they where available, But we are just going to have to wait for our pups for sustained long term success.
The more i watch our young Fb Papaali play, the more I can't wait for him to play FG. He is a shining light.

Its hard having patience as a dogs supporter, as much as we know what the situation is, its in our DNA to always expect to win and our frustrations get the best of us..

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are in our second year of a very good rebuild unlike the last 2.

Our books are clean and we have some decent talent on board as well as talent coming through.

If we can fill in the gaps with quality like an Utoikamanu and somehow jag a quality HB for a year or two until Woods and co are ready we have a solid squad who won't be missing finals.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Out of everyone off contract for 2024, these would be my picks.

* Terrell May - needs no explanation
* Trey Mooney - can play anywhere in forwards, easily over 100kg.
* Jamie Humphries - kid can play, would pinch him off Manly with the aim of having him take over from Mahoney and eventually having a hooker/utility rotation of Humphries/Hayward.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The more i watch our young Fb Papaali play, the more I can't wait for him to play FG. He is a shining light.

Its hard having patience as a dogs supporter, as much as we know what the situation is, its in our DNA to always expect to win and our frustrations get the best of us..
Papalii, Hopoi, Todd, Woods, Seve, Hayes and Alatini are future premiership winners.

That's half a spine and a your forward pack...

Just need today's squad to build for them which is what is happening. Honestly we have some fcuked up fans..

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Out of everyone off contract for 2024, these would be my picks.

* Terrell May - needs no explanation
* Trey Mooney - can play anywhere in forwards, easily over 100kg.
* Jamie Humphries - kid can play, would pinch him off Manly with the aim of having him take over from Mahoney and eventually having a hooker/utility rotation of Humphries/Hayward.
Tyrell will stay at the Roosters.. he will take JWH spot.

I'd go all in on Stef and build the pack around him.

Stef, King, Hopoi, Hughes and Todd should be a decent pack moving forward. Also gives u a chance to add some good depth as well as u don't know who you'll pick up.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Tyrell will stay at the Roosters.. he will take JWH spot.

I'd go all in on Stef and build the pack around him.

Stef, King, Hopoi, Hughes and Todd shoukd be a decent pack moving forward.
All true, but hear me out.
If we give Tyrone May a life line (shit I know) and Taylan stays with Panthers, but we offer Terrell a fucking huge contract, at least that raises red flags for the Chooks, especially if they get Suualii to backflip. The pressure has to be applied to them.

In regards to Stefano he'd be a great get, but if Melbourne are keen he'd be mad to pick us. But maybe he would want to stay in Sydney.

One prop I think the club should be keeping a real close eye on is Jaiman Jolliffe. Originally a Cronulla junior and may not get the minutes he deserves with Halser in charge. Would cop him and King starting for now.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I try to be fair and every player deserves chances to try and improve., but I have given up and to me Burton is not interested in stepping up and getting involved. Maybe a few weeks in reserves may do him good.

Even players like Mortimer and Lamb took a few years to find there feet and they did often spend time in lower grades to improve their skills and confidence.

Move him to centre and try that but personally I would be putting Xerri there, if he keep him in the halves and no improvement give someone a chance who wants to take the challenge of playing there. I know I know...who?? Id rather have someone having a go and at least trying to someone who doesn't get involved.

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I thought some of you might find this interesting View attachment 103887
I suggested that multiple times during the off-season on this forum,.. Hes' not a half or 5/8...

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All true, but hear me out.
If we give Tyrone May a life line (shit I know) and Taylan stays with Panthers, but we offer Terrell a fucking huge contract, at least that raises red flags for the Chooks, especially if they get Suualii to backflip. The pressure has to be applied to them.

In regards to Stefano he'd be a great get, but if Melbourne are keen he'd be mad to pick us. But maybe he would want to stay in Sydney.

One prop I think the club should be keeping a real close eye on is Jaiman Jolliffe. Originally a Cronulla junior and may not get the minutes he deserves with Halser in charge. Would cop him and King starting for now.
Still think he'll stay at the Roosters and reckon they'll get Tyrone too to take Watsons spot.

FCUK MELBOURNE! No way they can have Welch, NAS and Stef plus their spine... impossible.

Joliffe is another Kingy, we need an Alpha to build around.

Throw 900k at Stef and hell consider us.

I honestly reckon we are in the box seat for his signature otherwise he stays at the Tigers.

$50 we end with D.Saifiti and JT or Klemmer off the bench.

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton running game at its best would suit FB. However the bloke doesn't fucking talk or organise at 6... How the fuck could he handle more responsibility at 1.
Agree, he is either a free running 5/8 without kicking responsibility’s (maybe a licence for big our end clearing kicks..) and outside a DCE type 7 or a Dally M centre.

End of.