OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Round 6 | Post Game | Storm 16 - 14 Bulldogs

NATE_91

Waterboy
Reaction score
When the game is in the balance you need your half to stand up and own the match.

Hutch failed his assignment but i doubt ciro is ballsy enough to drop him for taffe

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I dont understand why some ppl on here are defending Hutchinson...

he's slow and offers nothing in attack, we wont be winning much games if he stays on at hb

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Give Tafee a crack next to his juniors partner. Can't be worse.
I reckon there is a good chance of this happening, depending on injuries, results, and how individual performances go through the season. CC obviously puts a lot of work into instilling confidence in the team, and part of that is resisting the urge to do chopping and changing. But, he will over time make form/performance based changes, and if Hutch doesn't start scoring and setting up tries, and being a key part of closing out games, and continues to be in the vicinity of most of our conceded tries, he will get dropped. He isn't the long term half anyway, we all know that. But having given him a shot, CC will make it a decent one, so that the next guy he calls up will legit feel that the coach is genuinely backing him.

As much as I'd like to see Taaffe given a decent run at 7 with Tracey at 1, Tracey is clearly still carrying an injury, so he is a week by week proposition, and we've just had an example recently of dramatic chops with JD at souffs, who dropped an underperforming 7 despite the problems being with the team as a whole, and who appears to be favouring some players over others. That isn't CC's way I don't think, he likes to back the players and the team as a whole, and at this stage I think you'd agree CC looks like having a much bigger future in the NRL than JD.

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When the game is in the balance you need your half to stand up and own the match.

Hutch failed his assignment but i doubt ciro is ballsy enough to drop him for taffe
Taaffe at half is an interesting one.

Undoubtedly he'll add zip and creativity in attack. He's a classy ball player & backs up.
Can he kick?
He can't really tackle in the front line. Not 1 on 1.

We know he can't tackle like Hutch, so perhaps we wait until some bigger 'minders' are back in the pack - like Preston, Max etc.
Having said that - CC's plan to use smaller, mobile forwards who tackle like beasts (eg Turps, Hayward, Mann, Salmon) and get up from the tackle QUICKLY has allowed us to protect the area behind the markers much better this year. That was an open freeway last year - "Drive a semi through those gaps". Big, slow guys who make tackles, but are left lying on the ground during the 'play the ball' are dinosaurs!! Our defensive line is now DYNAMIC - forwards and laterally. I LOVE the way it's shaping up. Dogs of War - Pt II

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

he's slow and offers nothing in attack, we wont be winning much games if he stays on at hb
I think It's all to do with those fans reluctance to analyse the complete coaching package of Ciro. They must think it's being disloyal to him I guess and are happy to have 100% trust in his decisions for the team...which includes Hutch at this stage.

Maybe Ciro's plans for Hutch at 7 are evolving soon so who knows.

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Perhaps at 13 ?
I mentioned this a while ago - Hutch could/should be our "Slo-Yeo"

Or do we play him as 14 - like chooks used to?

His talk, tackle and kicking game are assets.
His slowness at 7 is a hindrance.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one livid that the first try wasn’t an obstruction? Keary had a penalty taken off knights last night for the exact same shape? Wtf….
Saw the same thing lol
Also there was a play in the second half when Grant broke early from the scrum and dropped an intercept.. could have sworn he was offside by a mile and it should have been a penalty in front of the post

NATE_91

Waterboy
Reaction score

Undoubtedly he'll add zip and creativity in attack. He's a classy ball player & backs up.
Can he kick?

We know he can't tackle like Hutch, so perhaps we wait until some bigger 'minders' are back in the pack - like Preston, Max etc.
Having said that - CC's plan to use smaller, mobile forwards who tackle like beasts (eg Turps, Hayward, Mann, Salmon) and get up from the tackle QUICKLY has allowed us to protect the area behind the markers much better this year. That was an open freeway last year - "Drive a semi through those gaps". Big, slow guys who make tackles, but are left lying on the ground during the 'play the ball' are dinosaurs!! Our defensive line is now DYNAMIC - forwards and laterally. I LOVE the way it's shaping up. Dogs of War - Pt II

Hutch missed as many as he saved so he's a defensive liability. The idea hutch is a good defender is a myth

Taffeta has experience as a half and is far more creative them hutch who as a slower half did not control the game

Hutch is just a poor man's hodgiknson

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Perhaps at 13 ?

Who do you change the team around with him at 13 with Salmon and Curran there normally?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Can he kick?

Taaffe is dynamite on the right in attack, he has passed and kicked for tries on our right already this season, and scored 2 tries of his own on the right. He is a natural left to right player, and in that sense the perfect compliment to Burton's right to left instincts. In defense I think he is worse than Hutch in some ways, better in others. Hutch is superior in front on tackles, when he has his shoulders square and can meet the defender, he is less likely to get pushed off than Taaffe. Taaffe is better laterally, he is quicker to respond to footwork, which is where Hutch noticeably struggles in defence.

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kiraz work ethic and metres were huge. I think he has to stay wing and Xerri keeps his spot
Our back 5 has flexibility & depth this year.
Wing. Fox, Kiraz, Wilson, Skelton - a lotta great options there.
Centres - Critta, Xerri, Kiraz
FB - Tracy, Taaffe, Critta (even Kiraz)

As for HB - Did anyone see Cassius Tia play for the Reggies last game. There's some serious potential right there!!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some think Hutcho is there for his defence but he lets inn tries every week. Just so average in attack. He looks like Hoppa playing halfback.

What about when he fell over when there was no defender near him LOL. He can't even run without tripping himself over

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kiraz work ethic and metres were huge. I think he has to stay wing and Xerri keeps his spot
Our back 5 has flexibility & depth this year.
Wing. Fox, Kiraz, Wilson, Skelton - a lotta great options there.
Centres - Critta, Xerri, Kiraz
FB - Tracy, Taaffe, Critta (even Kiraz)

As for HB - Did anyone see Cassius Tia play for the Reggies last game. There's some serious potential right there!!
Turpin completely missed the tackle on

Turpin completely missed the tackle on Hughes where he made a break leading up to the try and then Kautogo did not even attempt to tackle Blore for the winning Try, both passengers.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep we just need a HB to steer our team. Certainly Hutch is not the answer imo.
Sexton (maybe or not), or Joseph O’Neill? I think CC needs to take a further serious look at O’Neill in Cup, with a view to NRL debut mid season or so. Looked more than competent in NRL pre-season trials. Need to look to our future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I respect Hutchison's efforts and attitude, can cover many positions the reason I believe he could be the perfect 14,
But we need a halfback with speed both in the legs and between the ears !

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some think Hutcho is there for his defence but he lets inn tries every week. Just so average in attack. He looks like Hoppa playing halfback.

What about when he fell over when there was no defender near him LOL. He can't even run without tripping himself over
Yep - that one was a bit embarrassing

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just read this: " Matt Burton hadn’t converted a left sideline conversion all season and he missed again"

Negative points mister Ciraldo. Wtf r u doing not finding an alternate kicker then? Those lost us the game in the end.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Perhaps at 13 ?

Who do you change the team around with him at 13 with Salmon and Curran there normally?