OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Round 6 | Post Game | Storm 16 - 14 Bulldogs

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dogs were lucky to even score, they had to stick with the Xerri to JAC combo its all they were offering.
Hutchi is not an attacking creative half more of a defensive second hooker.
Why wasnt he coached to keep chipping over the top to a chasing flank?
There are some sides you cannot run through and kicking over or through is the only way.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Xerri apparently defended shit in cup and wasn't ready... Perhaps the cup squad as a whole is the issue defensively and no individuals such as Sexton.
Grades like NSW Cup are generally like that due to the nature of the players in the teams not just our club all clubs and including the Queensland comp as well. Players like Sexton are full time spend most of their training time with the NRL squad probably get just one ball work session in with the NSW Cup. Other players have full time jobs during the day and rock up to training at night since they're part time players. Other players might have some kind of development deal been promoted from the underage competitions where playing against men especially those who aren't NRL ambitious. It's all different dynamics.

Sexton and Knight were in Melbourne and with the NRL team. Both are likely to play in Canberra on Sunday. They might sneak in a ball work session. Coaching Reserve Grade whether it's in NSW or Queensland isn't about wins or losses it's more getting the individuals ready to be promoted to the NRL team.

Xerri would have trained a lot more with players like Burton and Fox than whoever is in NSW Cup due to his contract being full time.

Big_Kahunas

Waterboy
Reaction score
It’s easy to pick apart in hindsight but I understand a lot of his decisions. Turpin was selected to shore up the middle defence which he did, but other than that he was a bit of a liability. I’d be fine with Bailey playing that role next week. He can hold his own and has a bit of pace and ball playing skills.

Salmon was average as usual but we are a bit thin on troops. He could give Hayes a go, but who knows if he’ll do better than Salmon? Ciro’s forward rotations are still questionable but Poasa was busted, so he had to come off and Patolo was meh. Surprisingly as a whole our pack has hung in most games, but that’s mainly down to Curran and Kikau being machines. Salmon has played big minutes too.

It’s only round 6 so Ciro would still be deciding on who’s in his best pack/team.
Turpin missed that easy tackle on Hughes on the set prior to the last try. Hardly shoring up the middle defence. You could see that Kikau and Curran who were the inside defenders were suprised that he missed that tackle. Having said that, would Liam Knight have done any better?

Salmon is not an 80 minute player but it's obvious that none of the bench forwards available last night is more than a 30 minute player. Rewatched Kautoga's non-effort for Blore's try - he wasn't offside, just thought he's job was done when Munster passed the ball to Blore who ran a slight angle back into Kautoga. Plain lazy, may get away with that in NSW Cup, but with people like Munster, Hughes and Papi they will target the lazy/sloppy defenders like Hutchinson and Kautoga.

How is Hayes going in reggies?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Dogs were lucky to even score, they had to stick with the Xerri to JAC combo its all they were offering.
Hutchi is not an attacking creative half more of a defensive second hooker.
Why wasnt he coached to keep chipping over the top to a chasing flank?
There are some sides you cannot run through and kicking over or through is the only way.
It's the next phase of our development Bob. We need more attacking options thru the 7.

Will be addressed eventually.

Big_Kahunas

Waterboy
Reaction score
Dude he has no vision. He’s butchered atleast 2 tries when he had numbers, and a simple shift through the hands would have led to points. Instead he does the usual dummy and run
I'm going to make an official complaint - Hutchinson is emotionally harassing me with his numb nut plays.
My son thinks I'm a madman when I go off every time this happens.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kautoga did the exact thing at marker in Reggie's a few weeks back in a similar scenario close to the line we a player just casually whizzed past him a scored a try. Plain and simply LAZY. That effort single handedly lost us the game. Not Burton's missed kicks, not Turpins missed tackle prior. Back to Reggie's for him where he should ply his trade in the 1%'s.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Big_Kahunas

Waterboy
Reaction score
Ha e you watched the replay of the Blore try? Kiti is right there and just watches his go over. It was mentioned he might have been called offside (might have even been said by you?) if so it’s understandable, but it looked like he just accepted that he was going in.
Kautoga needs an extra wrestling session for that alone.

Sad thing was that he wasn't called offside, everyone was onside. He just thought he's job was done when his player that he was on - Munster threw the pass and switched off. He will learn that he needs to have your brother's back in defence. I hope Ciraldo highlights these things in video during week and not just pats peoples back. Such a close game to lose that you could start to see the frustration on everyone's faces, but more so, you could see on Harry Grant's face that they were lucky to get away with that one.

Big_Kahunas

Waterboy
Reaction score
Why tho? When he must know after so many goes at it, he is pretty slow and is easily stopped?
Definition of insanity. The smartest person on the field must be the No 7. When the loony is running the side at No 7 there is nothing anyone can do about it. What if we had a Cleary or Reynolds running the show...we could only dream.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Definition of insanity. The smartest person on the field must be the No 7. When the loony is running the side at No 7 there is nothing anyone can do about it. What if we had a Cleary or Reynolds running the show...we could only dream.
Imagine that lol. Wicked.
Guess it shows our true potential tho.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What do people think of the Sam Hughes incident, do we think he'll get suspended?
The bunker is cooked 10 mins for that was a joke, JWH does that shit every tackle ,
They all do, that said he’ll probably get a week. I am starting to love the bit of shit I am seeing in Hughes though.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1800$ fine but yh was ridiculous it was a sin bin
Thought he might get a week for being a Bulldogs player :tongueclosed: Fine is fair enough and a small price to pay for a front rower looking to dominate his opposite number. Nice.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I would if I was him but considering last wk he didn't get off its probs wise to not just accept it lol
Yes the guys at the Judiciary wouldn't be expecting, or want, to see him.

Sammy has turned into our JWH lol with those facial massages lol.
Pretty silly but who knows what was being said etc on the field. Hopefully he learns a strong legal tackle hurts more than a very public forearm. Save your energy for your tackles big Stormin' Sammy.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who ever thinks critta has been underwhelming is full of shit.
Critta is the one setting the fitness and attitude standards. He’s the captain, he’s a big reason we’re playing how we’re playing. Just because he isn’t scoring tries doesn’t mean he isn’t doing enough.
If we didn’t buy him we’d be playing like last year still.
I am not saying he hasn’t been a good signing. I respect what he has done as setting standards off and on the field in defence but you can’t say he’s showed his full potential in attack.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's clear to all, except one guy on here and CC, that the 7 has to change.

Best option is Taafe 7 and Tracey 1. It looks like CC won't ever willingly pick Sexton first choice 7 for who knows how long.
I really don't like our defence in the halves ATM. Burton and Hutchison both showed they are being targeted. I'd prefer Taffe or Sexton at 7 if this improves the Attack of our left edge. Stats would support this. But more importantly a chance to ice games and grab a few more Ws. When Preston and Morrin come back we can definitely have them bodies protecting our halves in defence

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I really don't like our defence in the halves ATM. Burton and Hutchison both showed they are being targeted. I'd prefer Taffe or Sexton at 7 if this improves the Attack of our left edge. Stats would support this. But more importantly a chance to ice games and grab a few more Ws. When Preston and Morrin come back we can definitely have them bodies protecting our halves in defence
We really should give this Taafe 7 option a try ...even if for no other reason for the chance that Hutch gets an injury and cant play.
Ciro doesn't seem to trust Sexton so Taafe next man up then Hayward probs.