Official Round 6 Bulldogs V Cowboys - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree about Deitz but where does it state that you can't start Topine and how can the NRL let a club pick a player in their 17 but not let them start them? That would be the dumbest rule yet..

Even if that is the rule, sub on Topine for Katoa after 15-20 minutes instead of waiting 50 like last week when the game is all over.
The way it works is that you have to use the players in your top 30 first. In this case, Sione Katoa is a hooker & is in the top 30 so he must be used first before any development player. We had to get an exemption for Topine to play - he gained an exemption due to the injury to Marshall-King.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way it works is that you have to use the players in your top 30 first. In this case, Sione Katoa is a hooker & is in the top 30 so he must be used first before any development player. We had to get an exemption for Topine to play - he gained an exemption due to the injury to Marshall-King.
Actually haven't seen that being said any where, are you assuming this or can I find more info on this rule somewhere?

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is last chance saloon for alot of players

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just realised hoppa is captain lol... How is that even possible with how he's been playing

Last edited:
Reactions: GDR

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks for passing it on. It's an absurd restriction if that's true.. If someone is allowed to be in your 17, then you should be able to start whoever you want.. What's next? They determine how many minutes he plays?

As I said though, even if that is indeed the crazy rule, Baz doesn't have to wait til after 50 minutes to put Topine when we needed his effort and energy well before then.. Start Katoa for the first 20 if we have to, play Topine the next 60 and use Katoa as a bench forward if you want to bring him on later in the game..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@Bazildog do you see why I wanted to stick with averillo over lewis?

By no means am I suggesting he's going to get better every game but he needs the week in week out to learn his trade
Not really mate to be honest. I get that you don’t want Lewis and see Averillo as a long term player for us, but he is not a FG player yet.

I know everyone got a chubby when he showed a little of his attacking ability in the second half but his D is still dreadful.

I would be more inclined to play him off the bench in14 to give him minutes each game to build his confidence, especially if they can give him time at Fullback. There is no way he will push Burton out of the halves and I am pretty confident that Barrett sees Flanagan as the type of half that will suit Burton.

As for Lewis unless he can impress in any of the games he plays this year to maybe jag the 14 next year I think he is a dead man walking. However, at the moment I would definitely play him at 6.

If Avo is to be thrown in the deep end and starting 13 I would put him at FB now as it can’t worse than any of the peanuts we have tried there so far. Plus it will push DWZ back to the wing and Kraptoa back to reggies. The extra space at FB might just give Averillo the confidence he needs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thanks for passing it on. It's an absurd restriction if that's true.. If someone is allowed to be in your 17, then you should be able to start whoever you want.. What's next? They determine how many minutes he plays?

As I said though, even if that is indeed the crazy rule, Baz doesn't have to wait til after 50 minutes to put Topine when we needed his effort and energy well before then.. Start Katoa for the first 20 if we have to, play Topine the next 60 and use Katoa as a bench forward if you want to bring him on later in the game..
Because it doesn't work like that. Chris Randall is a development player and he started at lock last week with Sue on the bench for the Knights.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa is currently one of the worst players in the NRL in his position, he lacks intent, passion, and is generally uninspiring on both sides of the ball.
.....................................................................................................so we make him captain!!!!?????? WTF BARRET

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa is currently one of the worst players in the NRL in his position, he lacks intent, passion, and is generally uninspiring on both sides of the ball.
.....................................................................................................so we make him captain!!!!?????? WTF BARRET
I just hope that by round 11, we will see some drastic changes, I expect that having played very little football in 2020, a few more game in the CC will benefit the likes of Schouup. Sa for Papa I'm hoping that TBaz plays him in the hope that some silly desperate club will take him off our hands, but come August 1st if he is still at the club he will be playing in a z grade comp.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because it doesn't work like that. Chris Randall is a development player and he started at lock last week with Sue on the bench for the Knights.
I don't think it does either, just going off what Chisdog is saying. I thought Randall was in their top 30 though? Either way, Baz needs to play Topine at least 50 minutes a game the rest of the season. He's better and puts more effort in than the more senior players around him.

Reactions: GDR

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't think it does either, just going off what Chisdog is saying. I thought Randall was in their top 30 though? Either way, Baz needs to play Topine at least 50 minutes a game the rest of the season. He's better and puts more effort in than the more senior players around him.
He's definitely a development player. Yes Topine needs more minutes either way.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That’s a possibility but getting dropped back to reggies is a pretty common thing for a player his age so it wouldn’t be a great sign if he’s dropped his head over it.
Maybe he knocked back a contract elsewhere when he re-signed with us.

Possible new club might have guaranteed a fg spot, maybe even more money, but Dogs told him he'd keep his fg spot he earned at the end of last year, so he re-signs bc Dogs showed loyalty and gave him a start.

Coach pet comes in. Plays like a goose. Keeps getting picked. 0-5 humiliating losses yet several duds keep their spots no matter what. Coach leaves you in reserves and doesn't even put you into top 20 until this week.

Better to kill it in reserves for sure but maybe its tough to motivate yourself when you see the abomination in first grade performances not changed by the coach.

Or perhaps they've had a falling out.

With the way we've been going and the energy Doorey brought to the team last year that Baz should have seen, him being completely out of the picture so far does seem odd and a waste of a resource in such a dire loosing situation the club and coach find themselves.