Official Round 2 vs Storm Match Discussion

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Alamoti is 19. 19 years of age. The maturity in his game at 19 only 2 NRL games in is insane. The hype is genuinely real
You could sense his confidence growing throughout the game.

A footy player with instincts ... not just a battering ram.

Little concerned about the left edge defensively though.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You could sense his confidence growing throughout the game.

A footy player with instincts ... not just a battering ram.

Little concerned about the left edge defensively though.
He was playing outside two guys that were absolutely gassed 60th min+

Very happy with his contact and yardage runs at this stage

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Im happy, the effort was there and the senior players stood up. I even cashed out a multi at halftime because my last leg was the Dogs 1-12 and got almost a 50% payout. Burton didn’t get MOM but improved and I think will get better and better.

Sadly no-one got to Flange in the warm ups, hopefully at training this week…
Getting Burton to play both sides of the ruck was a good call they just need him to engage the line a little more and straighten the attack, while we don’t have a halfback the pressure will be on him but with Mahoney there he will improve.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Getting Burton to play both sides of the ruck was a good call they just need him to engage the line a little more and straighten the attack, while we don’t have a halfback the pressure will be on him but with Mahoney there he will improve.
A little more? That's a nice way of saying it lol.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Imagine our right edge when Karl comes in with Preston,Averillo and Kiraz.
Jizz worthy! :tongueclosed:
Yeah I was against bringing him in too early but with Mahoney running the show he won’t have a shit tonne of pressure on him and his worst game at HB would be better than flanges best.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, at least acknowledged that we didn't use our edges at all, and that training this week was done to address that.

Will we see the improvement this weekend? Hopefully. But at least it was something different to "We made a couple of mistakes coming out of yardage, which you cannot do. And our completion rate was low, which you also can't do. You just can't do these things if you want to compete at this level and win football games". Tbaz' press conferences were so uninspiring, he never set expectations or goals, just reminded everyone of what can't be done if you want to win, as we continued to do it week in week out for a season and a half.

Gods... surely it'll be different this year.
Thought I'd bring up this post and interview back up again following the performance last night.

As was stated in the post by Dapper, it was refreshing to hear CC actually identify some issues and how they were going to address them instead of just blaming spilt balls or errors.

Not only did we curb the errors last night, it was clear we directed our attack to the right edges and it paid off.

Good to see the coach making necessary adjustments week to week and not flogging a dead horse by just trying to cut errors.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The salary cap is working. Clubs like Penrith, Eels, Storm were unable to keep all their star players. We've now got Mahoney and Kikau and Sutton. Storm lost Kafausi, Bromwich bros, Brandon Smith. We have TPJ and Thompson out, they have Papy and Munster out.
Overall we've got relatively better compared to the Storm with all the player movements.
It wasn't skill level though, it was effort, and lack thereof for 60 minutes that cost the Storm said Bellamy.
Storm were equal 2nd favourites for the premiership going into this weekend. Unless Munster and Papy get on the field, they won't make top 4 though.
Our effort was there, we scored run in tries and we will grow in confidence from that win I hope. We played the same style tonight that Potter had us playing later last season. I wouldn't be crediting CC too much with our try scoring ability tonight, more likely Potter given more reign by CC during the sessions this last week.
How repeatable today's A and D effort will be, lets see next week.
Burton still didn't look like a half, Flanno set up a couple of tries tho. We need Perham and Burton to be going into the line creating space for the runners. At least Burton played both sides of the ruck tonight.
Green shoots. Well done Dogs.
Agree with just about everything, except I feel CC made the decision to switch focus of attack to the right and it paid off.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Tackles:
H.Grant (MS) 56
J.Preston (CBB) 42
R.Mahoney (CBB) 41

Runs:
J.Kiraz (CBB) 23
P.Alamoti (CBB) 18
W.Warbrick (MS) 17

Metres:
J.Kiraz (CBB) 208
H.Perham (CBB) 164
M.King (CBB) 153

Completions:
Storm 30/37 (81%)
Bulldogs 33/43 (77%)
I think Harry Grant average tackle ount last year was mid 30's. Those extra 20 tackles go a long way to stunting the Storm attack

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I do not know how Flanagan fucked that up lol.
Yeah I have never seen a player in any grade get an inside ball from a bloke on the touch line then head straight back to where the pass came from, thought the attempted pass to himself was a creative touch though……