Official Round 2 vs Broncos Match Discussion

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I am trying to be very positive, but stats tell me otherwise. HOW do you lose a game with these stats:
- 60% POSSESSION
- 20 OFFLOADS
- TOTAL RUNS: 224 (US) to 121
- 1878 TOTAL RUNS to 1363
- TOTAL TACKLES: 312 (US) to 421

We should have won comfortably.
Very disappointing.
We can't finish for shit and we are clueless in the red zone.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to the game tonight. Few things. Dufty needs to be TPJs bitch. Hold his pocket like prison break. He needs to be sniffing around every time TPJ takes a hit up.

When attacking. We are far too deep. On our shifts players are catching and passing without digging into the line. Allows broncos to easily slide across. There was a bit at the end where we had a tap 10m out. Players were standing on the 20m line. We need to be more direct.

We need to play through the middle. I found we were going to sideways when attacking, we needed to straighten our attack.

It was a good performance, a game we should of won. So many times we just lacked that final touch or pass. Could of easily won by 20 tonight. Tough loss to swallow. But positive signs.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what shits me.... We worked for our tries and their tries were fucking cheap/gifted to them.

That burns me.
I hear you man. But at the same time, bit of a positive. It’s not defensive systems causing the tries. Just individual efforts costing us which can easily be fixed.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to the game tonight. Few things. Dufty needs to be TPJs bitch. Hold his pocket like prison break. He needs to be sniffing around every time TPJ takes a hit up.

When attacking. We are far too deep. On our shifts players are catching and passing without digging into the line. Allows broncos to easily slide across. There was a bit at the end where we had a tap 10m out. Players were standing on the 20m line. We need to be more direct.

We need to play through the middle. I found we were going to sideways when attacking, we needed to straighten our attack.

It was a good performance, a game we should of won. So many times we just lacked that final touch or pass. Could of easily won by 20 tonight. Tough loss to swallow. But positive signs.
100% agree i picked that up also that we stand too deep in attack. At times we passed back ten mtrs to only end up level with the previous play the ball.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeman was outstanding today. I hate to say it but Flanagan played his best game for a long time.
We haven't been scoring tries for at least two years to put it conservatively. We have more strike power this year and it's the same story. What haven't we changed? Our #7.

How long can we continue to flog a dead horse? I like Averillo but he isn't quite ready or up to it. Go back to reserves and continue to learn your trade I say. It's time for change and bring in another #7.

dave123

Waterboy
Reaction score
What shits me is we still don't know how to utilise lead runners properly, nor do we run against the grain.

Even Mr. Magoo can see our plays coming.
Yes we have more leg speed in the team this year but there is still no one backing up slow ball movement

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Exactly! Goes back to poor coaching - amateurish set plays (if any) and lack of a solid game plan.
I honestly can't see him surviving until 2023. If Gus is Gus and not a fraud too, he would have to boot him.

2023 roster is improving and we can't have a fraud pretending to be a coach ruin the gun side.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I hear you man. But at the same time, bit of a positive. It’s not defensive systems causing the tries. Just individual efforts costing us which can easily be fixed.
Easy fix that our "coach" can't see.

I wish Gus was a bit more aggressive in his management.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wakeman was outstanding today. I hate to say it but Flanagan played his best game for a long time.
I agree with this. Wakeham was damn near perfect particularly in the 2nd half and Flanagan grew in confidence in the 2nd half and did some decent things.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Chalk & cheese this year to previous year. Yes did not finish 5-6, good scoring chances, last year barely created any. I think the combos will get better especially in the backs.
Defense has been great this year. Avg 10 points a game so far. (Was not expectating the big D to be so impressive.)
I think everyone played well with the exception pf Okun. A couple of nit-picking.
* Hetherington - when playing on the edge, is jagging inside on every run. Needs to set-up his outside backs on occasions.
* BBO needs to get more time. He was knacked by the end of the game, but should get more match fitness with more minutes.

Dreaming a top 8 may well be a reality in 2023.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I can't over how shit Okunburs effort was on Broncos last try... His issue is his hesitation... If your centre rushes in, back him up and make the tackle FFS. Trust that your fullback will get across in cover if the tackle isn't made. Sick of seeing the **** in no man's land

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My team next week:

1. Dufty
2. Naden (okunbur has to go)
3. Burns
4. Averillo (put him next to Fox and let him mentor the kid, will help him in defence)
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Flanagan (come at me, we need him to goal kick, don't like that pressure on Burton ATM. Also Flanno's left to right service is quicker than Averillo... There's opportunities going missing there as we aren't getting to Dufty quick enough)
8. Seumanufagai
9. Marshall-King
10. Vaughan
11. Hetherington (weapon of he cuts the errors out)
12. Waddell (not biggest fan, but efforts there)
13. Pangai Jr

14. Biondi-Odo
15. Thompson (prefer impact off bench)
16. King (prefer his impact off bench)
17. Jackson (benched so he's not in the way of our halves to start the game)

Sadly if Okunbur is named Turbo and Garrick will have a field day.