OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Round 2 - Post Game Thread - Sharks 25 - 6 Bulldogs

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Positives:
- Burton improved a lot. 118m run, 1 line break and 3 tackle busts, plus he was using Kikau and Crichton much more than last week.
- Curran rapidly becoming my favourite player. 60 minutes, 40 tackles, 95m run, beautiful hair.
- If Kikau plays like that and has JAC outside him we will score plenty of points on the left.

Negatives:
- Tracey was really underwhelming. Will give him a pass for his first game and probably playing out of position but he’s going to be straight back to 18th man when JAC is back based on tonight.
- Line speed in defence killed us at times. Sharks were just galloping up the field.
- Hutchison went right too many times in attack. Kikau was carving up and Crichton wasn’t getting enough ball, we should have been shifting it left every time we could.
- Whoever kept saying Hughes was the biggest off season improver wasn’t looking very hard. Needed to step up tonight when Faamausili went down but gave us 25 minutes, 23 tackles and 18m run. Similar effort last week. If he’s as good as everyone seems to think he‘d better start showing us something soon.

Also - Nikora is a grub, Trindall is useless, referee had eyes painted on, and Cronulla fans are just the worse.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Boeing whistleblower topped himself last week after giving evidence so don’t hold your breath. Even if evidence actually exists of systemic corruption (which I doubt) - who’d be brave enough to come forward?

I agree we had a chance to win and it hurts to keep losing. But look at the game on now - night and day with attacking prowess vs the Bulldogs.
Yet Penrith has conceded 18 points to the Eels so far.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forwards win every game..
Well why are people going on about how poorly Taffe or Hutch played…look at the impact of their forwards Off the bench…I .mean we tried so hard but jthey just kept rolling over the advantage line and their back 5 are like another 5 forwards

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
at least ciraldo has questioned the referee's
Started off all calm and "didn't want to say too much in case of fine" and then started losing his shit. :tearsofjoy: Gould has the media supposedly in his back pocket so he should be doing this. Instead it looks like he's at Penrith??? That a boy Gus...

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should be looking at getting big bopper from anywhere available fiji Samoa hell even blokes that don’t make the cut in the NFL

Reactions: 88

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much better, ran ball threatened defence. Gave good early ball to Kikau and outside men. That’s wat a number six is meant to do.
He is far from one of our glaring issues. Those are the forward rotations (I honestly don’t know what Ciro is doing here) and our half and fb not threatening the opposition at all. Taaffe is just as average as Perham in this respect. Very involved and hot stepping, but cannot break tackles or the line. He can chime in ok in backline moves and is safe, but oppo teams aren’t threatened when he’s running the ball in the least. Hutch is crippled, that’s it.

The forward rotations are perplexing though. I mean it doesn’t help losing a prop immediately, but it was the same last week. Salmon starts at lock, gets replaced by Mann. Nononono! Your lock needs to play 70 minutes minimum. Curran comes on and gives a good 50 minutes or so. Hughes only made 2 hitups?! Surely that’s wrong, but that’s what the stats say. He should be one of our main props. I get that Ciro might want to protect him being a rookie, but he along with King are our best metre eaters.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Once again we've paid the price for a DIABOLIC ATTACK !!!
When will we learn from our selections mistakes ?
When are we going to realize better attack helps sustain better defence ?
When are we going to realize the spine needs specialized players ?
Urgent changes needs making for 1, 3, 6 and 7...Stop the rot !!!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What we learnt from tonight…..

Taaffe is not a top line fullback (but I am sure no one doubted that) he can not get defuse contested bombs to save his life).

Kiraz looks lame. Looks underdone. Lacks his blinding speed and has been sloppy marking at centre.

Wilson is not the second best winger we have. Yes he tries hard but he always gets driven backwards a lot. And you always have your heart in your mouth with him. Bombed 1 twice today by stepping out and dropping the ball.

Hutchinson is not a half. Some of his passes missed the mark badly. If we want more attack either him or Mann start at 13, but he struggled as a 7. Probably why he barley played there during his career.

Tracey had a solid game and the balls that he caught on the full he brought back strongly. If fitness is an issue. Start him at 1 and swap him with critta if he needs a breather during games.

We lack prop depth and losing one in the first hit up of the game was a hurdle we couldn’t overcome late in the game.

It seems like we play teams back into form. Parra didn’t drop a ball last week for about an hour. Sharks were pulling out unbelievable bounce of the ball try’s. When luck isn’t going your way and your ball handing is poor you will lose a lot more games then you win.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again we've paid the price for a DIABOLIC ATTACK !!!
When will we learn from our selections mistakes ?
When are we going to realize better attack helps sustain better defence ?
When are we going to realize the spine needs specialized players ?
Urgent changes needs making for 1, 3, 6 and 7...Stop the rot !!!
Watching Gus trying to get rid of this latest batch of 30 players is going to be something to behold...

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two less errors than last week, unfortunately we piled on the missed tackles at the back end of the game. We still lacked possession, but not as bad as last week. This could have been a good game in so many ways. I thought our attack was reasonable in the first 50 minutes of the game, it flopped at the end but we were defeated and a man down for the entire game, and the 2nd half was frantic, not many stoppages. So many things didn't go our way.
Kiks had a much better game and we used him more effectively but he needs support runners on his hip. Had several opportunities to offload but no one was there. This is on Burton and Taffe.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Instead it looks like he's at Penrith???
That a boy Gus...
I’d say that’s deliberate to keep his media and GM roles separate. Nothing to do with Penrith. No doubt he’ll watch the replay and be talking to Ciro on Monday.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is far from one of our glaring issues. Those are the forward rotations (I honestly don’t know what Ciro is doing here) and our half and fb not threatening the opposition at all. Taaffe is just as average as Perham in this respect. Very involved and hot stepping, but cannot break tackles or the line. He can chime in ok in backline moves and is safe, but oppo teams aren’t threatened when he’s running the ball in the least. Hutch is crippled, that’s it.
Taafe and Hutch are average for sure. Taafe was better tonight.
The forward rotations are perplexing though. I mean it doesn’t help losing a prop immediately, but it was the same last week. Salmon starts at lock, gets replaced by Mann. Nononono! Your lock needs to play 70 minutes minimum. Curran comes on and gives a good 50 minutes or so. Hughes only made 2 hitups?! Surely that’s wrong, but that’s what the stats say. He should be one of our main props. I get that Ciro might want to protect him being a rookie, but he along with King are our best metre eaters.

People calling for Curran to play 13, it not gonna happen. Watching the games he’s playing as another prop as we have none. Doings great job too, filling the void. I’ll reserve all judgement until next week. That’s when we are actually in a game that we can win. These first two games we were never going to win regardless. I’ve been surprised by where we are. Yet next week is where I gauge it

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kiks had a much better game and we used him more effectively but he needs support runners on his hip. Had several opportunities to offload but no one was there. This is on Burton and Taffe.
The whole team is poor at backing up for the offload. That comes at least partly down to confidence in each other, very hard to coach. No doubt CC will point out to them, again, the opportunities they had for line breaks and tries that were missed because no one back up. And just as we are talking about this Penriff do about 4 offloads in a row with player after player turning up ready just at the right moment...