Official Round 17 - Dogs vs Knights - Consolidated Match Thread

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was kind of confident earlier in the week, but I think Pearce being at a confidence all time high and Foran being out, we won't be able to compete in the halves.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was kind of confident earlier in the week, but I think Pearce being at a confidence all time high and Foran being out, we won't be able to compete in the halves.
Yeah I'm in the same boat and not expecting too much in terms of a result but I am keen to see how Wakeham goes after a full week training in the halves and how Renouf goes.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I'm in the same boat and not expecting too much in terms of a result but I am keen to see how Wakeham goes after a full week training in the halves and how Renouf goes.
Cogger's improving every game and is really steering the ship at the moment, so I'm confident him going back home he'll step up another level hopefully.

Wakeham I'm still worried about, but he does bring hopefully some life and something different.

I think if we keep our game simple while at the same time taking our chances, we can possibly pull off an upset. The Knights looked good last week even without their stars, which worries me. They're definitely a top 8 side this year.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I never get the obsession people have with halves defence because very few are strong defenders.

All you can ask is they put their body in front and the defenders either side help them.

Every now and then there will be tries scored when someone runs through them but thats the game.
This

First and foremost a half job is to attack and lead the pack around the field

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This

First and foremost a half job is to attack and lead the pack around the field
You are spot on regarding the halves role in a team,
They can all tackle to some degree,enough to slow down the momentum of a big guy running at them
I’m even happy with a shirt grab
In the history of this game a great play maker will always be remembered for their read of play,attacking abilities and so on.

Last edited:

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cogger's improving every game and is really steering the ship at the moment, so I'm confident him going back home he'll step up another level hopefully.

Wakeham I'm still worried about, but he does bring hopefully some life and something different.

I think if we keep our game simple while at the same time taking our chances, we can possibly pull off an upset. The Knights looked good last week even without their stars, which worries me. They're definitely a top 8 side this year.
I agree about Cogger, hopefully he has something to prove and he has been improving.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, Halves generally are the poorest defenders as they work more on their attack than defence.
We have the forward pack and enough leaders out there to cover Wakeham. We just need him to fire!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed, Halves generally are the poorest defenders as they work more on their attack than defence.
We have the forward pack and enough leaders out there to cover Wakeham. We just need him to fire!
You are right, but I don't think so in terms of our forwards working hard to help the halves in defence.

The last two seasons our defence has been absolute rubbish largely because of the forwards bunching in the centre of the field in defence and not sliding which just puts impossible odds and pressure on the outside backs when defending the try line.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wakenham is supposed to have a good short kicking game, everything has been organized, Dogs by 16.
Don't be sad, get mad, some aggressive running and creativity will come into play, make our own luck.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I feel sorry for anyone who has to try and cover for Montoya and Hopoate in defense.
Montoya played very well in the past. sadly he had to do the tackling for Hopoate and ruined his own game. Hes better off not playing outside Hopoate.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still dont understand how Smith can hold down the lock position. would rather have Elliott and then JMK on the bench for Smith.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I still dont understand how Smith can hold down the lock position. would rather have Elliott and then JMK on the bench for Smith.
Ogden should be starting. When Napa was out Ogden done well starting yet pay rewarded him by dropping him to the bench and then back to reserves. Smith can eat metres quickly with his pace but he really hasn't done much to hold down a spot in the 17, yet for whatever reason Pay actually has him starting lol.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really cannot understand Pay's fixation of having Ogden start, then be benched and then not be named at all. This guy is the goods and really hasn't shown any bad signs. He could be a modern Roy Asotasi if given the chance.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A win an we off the bottom lol, but how pathetic.. our for an against is -160 what a blow. Things are out of hand !!!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really cannot understand Pay's fixation of having Ogden start, then be benched and then not be named at all. This guy is the goods and really hasn't shown any bad signs. He could be a modern Roy Asotasi if given the chance.
I’m sure Ogden one week went from starting to reserve grade the next week

Pay has no clue

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dogs as per program in reggies so no late surprises by the looks of things.

All the Knights origin players look like they are playing too. Tautau Moga didn't play reggies so someone might drop out of their backline.

Last edited:

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am going for a dogs win. Fingers an toes crossed. Go the doggies

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bloody hell a Friday night game for once

I havnt checked the teams but pearce and klemmer will be maggot still if theyre playing and if not they'll be understrength

Dogs easy win

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bloody hell a Friday night game for once

I havnt checked the teams but pearce and klemmer will be maggot still if theyre playing and if not they'll be understrength

Dogs easy win
Yeah it’s weird not having to wait till the very last game on Sunday to watch us play