Official Round 12 Bulldogs V Panthers - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Best defensive effort this year & we worst attacking effort. Panthers points mostly scored against the run-of-play tries. One on one Ball stripped on try line, full length of the field try from a dropped ball, a suspect blocked play penalty & DWZ being DWZ.
I have been critical of him but Napa had his best game of the year.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All our forwards signed no offloading allowed clauses by Barrett

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m interested to know - would everyone prefer to see us

1. play like today and complete sets but not offer much in attack and limit the damage

2. throw caution to the wind and use the ball in danger of making lots of errors and teams capitalising and putting huge scores on

personally I think number 2, you can’t win playing conservative like today and I feel as though they don’t play like that because they aren’t confident enough. If they get used to it we might actually improve
You don't stick with your game plan if it is not doing anything for you. Up until the last 20mins we were still in it but the game was getting away from us and the instructions should have been to throw caution to the wind. Good teams adapt to the games situation and what is needed to get back into the game.

I know we don't have class but we still should have opened the shackles like we did in the last minute when we scored. Proud of the effort though

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seumanafangai bent the line a few times. Hetho was trying for offloads and had some strong carries.

Idiott & Doory just get dominated in contact all the time. Jackson gets dominated these days but he can tackle his ass off and has a big motor.
I feel for Jackson. He has been our best for years. We need to give the man a premiership! He is what being a bulldog is all about! Heart on his sleeve and a fearless leader!

BigDog85

Waterboy
Reaction score
Fuck we are so fucking stupid... Should have took the 2
Is there some unwritten rule that, when being held scoreless, only tries matter? I would be OK with that. I would shit on some other team that took the 2 on a penalty in the last 5 to avoid nil (saying that, I was screaming at the telly for the 2). Think it should be a rule if already not. What you guys reckon?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our kicking game has been well below average since the Hasler days, something which is not often talked about
IMHO the reason we were competitive for 3/4 of the game today was Averillo's kicking game.
Unfortunately for Flanno I can only see him been let go with the club paying some of the freight, or playing in the CC or as a last resort been tried at hooker.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, I think the 2021 Bulldogs are the "Washington generals" of the NRL..!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is like that movie Groundhog Day.. except instead of the song playing on the radio everyday, ‘I got you babe..’ It’s, ‘I just can’t take it anymore..’ by Lemonhead!

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
#2 in theory but the problem is we'll got flogged by 60+ every week because our players don't have the skill to pass quickly and run into spaces. With butterfingers Elliot, DWZ etc dropping the ball and halves who don't run the ball and with no vision we'll be defending all day.
Definitely I tough one as I see us getting smashed when it goes wrong but then if you look at how we’re playing now we won’t win a game anyway. I think the gamble would be worth something

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throwing caution to the wind won't see us lose by more than we do now - we gave away two tries in attack, and they didn't win by the predicted 40+.

But it needs a player who can see when the defence is up and a chip and chase, or kick to the corner will come off for us. Our attacking players can't see beyond the players in front of them. Penrith were up in our faces, and a late offload or chip would have caught them out.

A few times, we had players ready for a quick offload, and nobody was there to support them.

I will say that the commitment was good today. Our defence had Penrith rattled, but our lack of attack, and a few soft penalties, put them back in the game.

The score did not show how tough the Dogs were today; but other sides will see how we stopped the Penrith go forward, and build on that.
I agree, I saw so many opportunities whether it was a forward punching his head through and looking for an offload with no support or even short side to exploit but the players look too scared to take the risk and then when they do it’s at the worst possible timing. Our only plays are one out hit ups and turning the ball back inside