Round 1. Post Game Autopsy

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can some tell me what the game plan was? I did not see any structure nor set plays or more importantly any direction

I feel sorry for Mahoney, he is our only elite player

tumblr_lu6bewBpPb1qb9pa3o1_500.gif

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Apart from being getting reffed out of it, being very disjointed and Burton having a below average game the boys did well in conditions where you would bet even top teams would lose.

We were in the game up until the Flannagan sin bin with 8 club and NRL debutants, bench front rowers starting and our best player there to make the numbers.

I liked us once we settled tbh.. We got on top a one stage. PLenty to build off in my opinion.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Was deep in enemy territory today.

It was a disaster class watching from the hill in terms of our attack. Things didn't click, although there were good efforts individually especially Mahoney he was a class above. Sutton was strong as well.

Overall I thought their pack really took it to us and we didn't have an answer. They looked sharper around the ruck as a result of some quicker play the balls due to their forwards getting on top.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barring the roosters smashing the dolphins we will likely finish the round in 17th place too

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Was at Brookvale Oval on the eastern hill.
Two key points:

We lost the forwards battle

Our attack looked poor as did against the Sharks in that trial.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I will say this, that score easily could have blown out to a 40 to 50 point game.

We did show some resilience, considering we were on the backfoot most of the game. We couldn't contain their forward pack, they were busting us through the middle far too often.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tanner played just 13 minutes and Pele 10 minutes. Kikau was absolutely rooted and was played way too long for 73 minutes. Terrible use of the bench

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got hammered up front, which is no surprise given our injuries. Biggest concern remains our halves. Burton is a major worry. Shift him to left centre and bring in oloapu I guess?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They need to go and sign a prop asap
Kick some muppet out of the 30 and sign Nathan brown or Darren shonig asap

move Alomotti to the right
Move averillo to fb
Move rfm to middle

start Preston at edge
Get some concrete for that weak cat tpj and kikau

throw Karl olaupu into fg asap
Not winning the comp now but the experience hel gain in fg will help for 2024

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Realistically how many games can we win off the backfoot?

Our pack got dominated it was far too lopsided that affair.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Realistically how many games can we win off the backfoot?

Our pack got dominated it was far too lopsided that affair.
Cool stat. How many of our forwards had >30 post contact metres? One. Kingy. And 16 hit ups to get there.
How many Manly forwards had >40 pcm's? Five. Plus one of them was off 12 hit ups.

Dominated is the word.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We got beat thru the middle and wasted what chances we got.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An Autopsy all right, we will have many more this year like in our recent years.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like others have mentioned it’s very hard to compete against a team when you drop your balls and only a few players show up.

Kikau is the icing on the cake. He will never do much when you lack the quality. Our spine is mahoney. Burton will be ok but he can’t build the attack or execute. Our fullback is a heart attack waiting to happen. We got pounded with penalties and 6 against. It’s only so far heart will get you against top teams in heat. We defended well. It was 6 all 5 mins before half time off an opportunistic manly try. They got a questionable sin bin. Manly scored on either side of half time while we had 12 men. And the rest is history.

Manly fully fit are probably a top 4 if not top 5 team. Along with Penrith, sharks, cowboys. We aren’t on their level. We probably need a quality 7 and we will be knocking on the door of those teams mentioned above.

Not saying thommo, pangai and patolo win us the game today. But doubt we get ragdolled like we did. It’s an experience thing and a learning curve. Our real competition are tigers, dragons, raiders, dolphins, warriors, titans etc.