Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Post Game Discussion Thread

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Forwards, forwards and more forwards. Rugby League is all about forwards. We made the 2014 GF because we had the biggest pack in the game despite average halves. You can't shift wide to our speed men if you aren't making inroads through the middle.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Middle third clearly needs help. Its hard for QLD players if they don't want to move interstate. But at minimum we should be monitoring J.Wallace at Dolphins and at least trying to get a short loan of Bennett keeps him out of first grade.

He obviously has his issues in his game, but he can ball play and has a chip on his shoulder and won't take no shit from opposition middles.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All issues accounted for as youve all said. Does this then point to Gus/Ciraldo?

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I've signed up and cancelled Kayo about four times due to being pissed off with our shit performances over the last 3 years!

------------------

To be fair we are a new team playing against a Parra squad that have been together for years.

I think we showed enough ( with the limited opportunities we had ) to be optimistic about our attack and we were was far less fragile in defence.

In previous seasons, If we had a penalty count like that and the same lop sided possession we would have had forty points put on us.

So it's not all doom and gloom...

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've signed up and cancelled Kayo about four times due to being pissed off with our shit performances over the last 3 years!

------------------

To be fair we are a new team playing against a Parra squad that have been together for years.

I think we showed enough ( with the limited opportunities we had ) to be optimistic about our attack and we were was far less fragile in defence.

In previous seasons, If we had a penalty count like that and the same lop sided possession we would have had forty points put on us.

Ok so this is normal behaviour re Kayo haha.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Taaffe has lost a lot of confidence that’s for sure, looked shit scared after his first drop against Eels, sucks really, and CC needs to put him in lower grade or it will just ruin him more. Tracey for FB and XERRI just needs to be in the side, he’s a big mother Fucker with stamina and speed, can’t leave him out after the great trials he had.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Chuck burton at fullback has no option but run then

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
- We made 13 errors to the eels 3.
- We lost JAC midway through the first half and were essentially playing with 12.
- Salmon shifted to centres second half.
- We missed 28 tackles compared to the Eels 23 with 40% possession.
- Offloads for the Eels we’re sticking.
- We got beat 4x tries to 2x with only 40% possession.

Hughes was our only prop that made an error all the rest were by the backs and the spine.

How is it the “small props” are getting the blame by some.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree.
Of course we were all disappointed on Saturday but we showed resolve in defence. Realistically the slimy Eels should’ve put 50 on us. Attack clearly needs work but Ciro is a defence focussed coach and anyone hoping for line-up changes beyond those forced by the injury to Fox should prepare for more disappointment.

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My main concern is our left edge not getting any quality ball while Matt Burton is playing in the halves. He's a great ball runner and kicker (if you like bombs) but his play making is inadequate.

Serious question:

Can anyone remember Burton having a line break assist or a pass that led to a try?

I remember him putting in a chip to the Fox but that's about it...

That left edge will see a lot more quality ball if we had genuine half there like Sexton

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
All issues accounted for as youve all said. Does this then point to Gus/Ciraldo?
Ciraldo and Gus' hands are all over our current roster, pretty much all of our players were signed or extended under their watch.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Honestly, if you can't see why we're shit in attack, you are SERIOUSLY overestimating some of our players. Flanagan would be unlikely to do much better with this squad. Our spine is poor (I hope we get to see Tracey at 1 sooner than later) and our forward pack aren't much better. The market has been pretty barren, so recruitment was never going to solve our problems.

We should take heart, though. We have the best junior teams in the league. We've fixed the fundamental reason we're in this mess in the first place; development. We have a production line of talent again. We have young superstars in our lower grades. We've seen what they're capable of. When they're finally ready and come through, this shit will be a distant memory. And, when THEY leave, there'll be more talent to take their place and we won't get stuck with everyone's rejects again. If you can take a step back and look at the bigger picture, there is a lot to look forward to. We just can't expect blood from a stone right now.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
- We made 13 errors to the eels 3.
- We lost JAC midway through the first half and were essentially playing with 12.
- Salmon shifted to centres second half.
- We missed 28 tackles compared to the Eels 23 with 40% possession.
- Offloads for the Eels we’re sticking.
- We got beat 4x tries to 2x with only 40% possession.

Hughes was our only prop that made an error all the rest were by the backs and the spine.

How is it the “small props” are getting the blame by some.
This is much less about that game. More a culmination of years and years of seeing the same shit, and clear lack of direction and improvement in attack. Yes defence improved as your stats show mainly. Ciraldo clearly got his selections wrong for round 1, further adding to the frustration. And it wont change for 10 rounds or more because hes a "buddy buddy i love my players and boohoo mental health" type of coach. Give me crazy Bellamy/Hasler anyday. Burton needs a stint in centre or reserve grade but it wont happen cause the club dug themselves a hole saying hes our half forever.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Honestly, if you can't see why we're shit in attack, you are SERIOUSLY overestimating some of our players. Flanagan would be unlikely to do much better with this squad. Our spine is poor (I hope we get to see Tracey at 1 sooner than later) and our forward pack aren't much better. The market has been pretty barren, so recruitment was never going to solve our problems.

We should take heart, though. We have the best junior teams in the league. We've fixed the fundamental reason we're in this mess in the first place; development. We have a production line of talent again. We have young superstars in our lower grades. We've seen what they're capable of. When they're finally ready and come through, this shit will be a distant memory. And, when THEY leave, there'll be more talent to take their place and we won't get stuck with everyone's rejects again. If you can take a step back and look at the bigger picture, there is a lot to look forward to. We just can't expect blood from a stone right now.
It (roster/players) looks worse than it is because Ciraldo continually gets the worst out of the players. He's an assistant.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We made 400 tackles and were too gassed chasing points

Plus our spine is incompetent

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What are you on about we constructed 2 tries.

Under Pay or Tbaz we wouldn’t have even scored with how well Parra played.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Dogs of old (Tbaz and late Pay) would have imploded and conceded at least 40 and we’d be lucky to fluke a try.

Everyone gassing up the Potter reign has conveniently forgot while we did beat Parra at Homebush, we got flogged 42 to 6 at Commbank.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you on about we constructed 2 tries.

Under Pay or Tbaz we wouldn’t have even scored with how well Parra played.
2 with Burton having zero involvement in either and one being down his side as well.

Most of my frustration is built around Burton and his regression and trying to find a reason (money+coaches probably).