Round 1 Bulldogs V Knights - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So who makes way for Thompson when returns? My choice would be Napa.. but I doubt that will happen, more likely to be ogden or atoni...

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So who makes way for Thompson when returns? My choice would be Napa.. but I doubt that will happen, more likely to be ogden or atoni...
I vote for Napa too but it will probably be Ogden unless he kills it. Definitely won't be Atoni - his form last year and in the trial was pretty good. We need him

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is there any coverage of lower grades this year?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is there any worry that we are starting off with more mongrel than workman-like props? Don't call me a Tolman lover, but I think his departure will leave a decent hole in how we defend in the middle. Having said that, I am also of the belief him leaving assisted in the decision making process of moving Jackson to lock (despite many on here calling it for about 2 years). He will become a tackling machine now, in the Staggs mould.

The lone trial (whilst arbitrary as it is only a single game) did not show much signs of weakness in the middle (discounting that terrible D when the Shark prop ran through a million of us in the 2nd half when it was effectively our reggies side).

I personally think this is why he does not want to let go of Napa just yet. Maybe when Thompson is back, but not now. He is our most senior prop we have at the moment, and we have seen what happens when you run with a young front line... think Brisbane 2020

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averillo will be out injured ! Wakeham will come in
Should have pushed through the Napa and Burton deal as we seem to be ok in front row with Ogden and Atoni with Ava as depth.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not too sure who makes way but will say that TB is not going to play favourites or anything along those lines.
He is too professional and the assessment after our first month is going to be on point.
Its quite evident already by the Lewis situation.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have pushed through the Napa and Burton deal as we seem to be ok in front row with Ogden and Atoni with Ava as depth.
I tend to agree,
the dollar’s must have been way beyond reasonable against us.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree,
the dollar’s must have been way beyond reasonable against us.
Yep its been discussed before. They wanted us to pay pretty much all of Napa’s salary plus reimburse them for what they had already paid Burton.

It wasn’t a serious offer so there was no way we were doing it

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Perhaps the club was looking at a potential third hooker just as a backup which has ultimately come in very handy.
I personally think he’ll go ok considering the years of experience in lower grades,
Usually those type of players don’t panic but will pick his moments to do something
Yes for sure. Lots of experience, without the pressure of first grade, to work on his game and what does and what doesn't work for him.
And bc it didn't come easy, probably as keen as in making the most of his chance and grateful.

Hope he realises his dream.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m not too sure who makes way but will say that TB is not going to play favourites or anything along those lines.
He is too professional and the assessment after our first month is going to be on point.
Its quite evident already by the Lewis situation.
I get that sense too but I think every coach has at least one player they tend to give a little bit more leeway to (either because they're a strong trainer, good at the little things, etc). Feels like Waddell might be that player for T-Baz. I reckon he had a poor game in the trial but am willing to see how he goes after a few weeks starting. RFM will want to start after getting his fitness up + we have the likes of Doorey, Topine, etc are waiting in the wings. Confident Barrett will still pick the best possible 17 but Waddell is the only slight question mark I have when looking at the side named.