Round 1 Bulldogs V Knights - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woof Woof
Id like to welcome all the newbies who are making their NRL premiership debut as Bulldogs this Friday. Thank you for joining us and I wish you all every success in your games individually and collectively against the Knights. May your Bulldogs debuts be memorable.

To the returning players I can't emphasise enough that this is a new era for the Dogs. The pain you've endured over recent seasons of busting your ass without much success can now be just a memory of the pain you've endured in getting to this point in time.

It's a brand new season with renewed optimism. Premiership points are level. Us fans are ready to cheer you all on. Prepare well and be confident and patient in your execution. Your time to shine and win the hearts and minds of your fans is now. Enjoy the game. Lets go!!! Who let the Dogs out???

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once Deitz cements a spot and can play 80 Katoa should slip back to the mounties unless he proves he is da man.
The Knights starting pack looks good but our bench should even it up in the second half if used properly.
If Katoa is going to prove himself, he needs to show more than he did in the trial. Far too often it was the safe pass to a jogging forward into the teeth of the line, so often with a short under pass that only directed the runner straight into the markers or a compressed defence...such a nothing play.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm more a soccer expert than a rugby league expert, so can someone help me out here. When you're saying a hooker passes slow out of dummy half, exactly what things are you looking at (in that dummy halfs motion) that are tell tale signs of slow service?
Would be similar in soccer, say someone who can one touch pass as opposed to always trapping the ball etc.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They definitely have a strong starting pack. If we can go with them or get the early jump I’ll be confident as games rolls on. Been some big storms hit Hunter region this week, good chance will be a wet weather game also. Not sure who that favours

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They definitely have a strong starting pack. If we can go with them or get the early jump I’ll be confident as games rolls on. Been some big storms hit Hunter region this week, good chance will be a wet weather game also. Not sure who that favours
Favoured us last game. We completed really well considering the weather

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Favoured us last year and Foran did well but much has changed

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think our props including bench props will stick it to the knights more favoured front row

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Biggest problem we will face is Pearce's experience and our blokes lack of. And the right side defence needs tweaking.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both.
Its a pass selection thing as it's also a single motion pick up off the ground and hit the moving target accurately on their chest.
yeh its like Katoa picks up the ball from dummy half then dances around trying to decide whether he wants to run or pass, he should know what he is going to do before he picks it up!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
that he can pick the ball up and pass in the one motion from the ground rather than picking up the ball and then passing... good spiral passes... just in front of the intended target... good height of the pass when received
Yep, I've got that and from the many responses I received, they confirmed my initial assumptions.

The one thing I actually struggle in determining is the actual speed of the pass. Is JMK considered a slow passer? Just the actual pass itself, not making his mind up or picking up the ball, but the actual pass itself?