Round 1 Bulldogs V Knights - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Haven’t seen much of Deitz, can someone provide a short summary please?
From the limited highlights/ trial game, my read is he's a nuggety version of Damien Cook. The bloke plays eyes-up footy and reads the ruck very well, knows when to scoot out of dummy-half when the markers aren't set and isn't afraid to take the line on. Looking at his reggies stats, he would always average 40m+ out of dummy half, which is a far cry from what JMK/ Lichaa would offer (often making 0-10m for us).

Of course, not as fast as Cook in short bursts, but enough pace to ask questions and with compentent support play out of Allan/ our middles (Atoni in particular), he will be a real spark plug attacking tired middle forwards/ the bench props for Newcastle. Jesse Sue is going to have nightmares after Friday afternoon's contest.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My highlights:
  • No Lewis, not even in the extended bench.
  • Averillo in at 6 - if he can't play, Wakeham slots in.
  • Deitz gets a call-up. I don't even care if he flops - we finally have a coach taking a chance on a young kid who looks like he's earned a run.
  • It looks like Cotric/ DWZ are on the right edge, with Hopoate/ Meany on the left. I rate this, gives me Hoppa/ Holland vibes when the team would work together/ offloading for meters on kick-returns.
  • Jackson at lock.
  • Britt, Stimson not in the 22 either - yet Pay would give them a run when they simply weren't FG quality.
  • Best pack rotation available, pending Thommo's suspension.
I think Hopoate and DWZ will be on the right edge. Cotric and Meaney on the left edge with Cotric dropping back late in the tackle count for kick returns so Meaney doesnt get smashed.

People with better info than me have said that previously on here

Stevche Kat

Waterboy
Reaction score
My highlights:
  • No Lewis, not even in the extended bench.
  • Averillo in at 6 - if he can't play, Wakeham slots in.
  • Deitz gets a call-up. I don't even care if he flops - we finally have a coach taking a chance on a young kid who looks like he's earned a run.
  • It looks like Cotric/ DWZ are on the right edge, with Hopoate/ Meany on the left. I rate this, gives me Hoppa/ Holland vibes when the team would work together/ offloading for meters on kick-returns.
  • Jackson at lock.
  • Britt, Stimson not in the 22 either - yet Pay would give them a run when they simply weren't FG quality.
  • Best pack rotation available, pending Thommo's suspension.
You may find that these two are not having the best of times at the Dogs. They are close friends outside of football, which means nothing in itself / on its own.

I would say in general and not specific to them... any player in the team can either take a knuckle down, work hard approach or a players can have a sook. Let's see how the season pans out.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Hopoate and DWZ will be on the right edge. Cotric and Meaney on the left edge with Cotric dropping back late in the tackle count for kick returns so Meaney doesnt get smashed.

People with better info than me have said that previously on here
Yeah - that was the tactic used on the trial and I thought it worked quite well.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the time, it’s when they pick the ball up and hold it a bit before they pass.

Also, when they defence is in the face of the receiver by the time they receive the ball. Makes it hard, especially for the kicker on 5th, who has to put the same kick we’ve been seeing for the last 3 years.
So anything but what lichaa did? Lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Who brought Dietz over to us. Anyone know the background to his train and trial?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Connor watson starting at lock!!.. really??
I mentioned that a few weeks ago. It was reported a few times this offseason. I don't get it either. Hopefully it backfires and leads to more holes in defence.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So weird that the player I'm most excited to see is one I hadn't even heard of till a few weeks ago. It's just our hooking ranks have been so poor for so long. As long as this kid provides crisp service from dummy half and runs when he sees an opportunity that's all you can ask.

Love the team named though and keen to get the first glimpse of RFM and Napa this season.