10. Luke Thompson (will probs stay?)
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Jacob Preston
13. Harry Edwards

14. Siosiua Taukeiaho
15. Kurt Morrin
16. Max King
17. Jaeman Salmon
I would pick this team too swapping Morrin with Hughes and Taukeiaho with Knight. if we don't sign no one.
I'd say more bored than fried :laughing:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
i will probably get shouted down but where can we fit karl olaupu into this line up?
In reserve grade at 6. I'm not buying the lock talk ATM .

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
In reserve grade at 6. I'm not buying the lock talk ATM .
He should've been 5/8 in NSW cup all season. Instead we played him halfback, promoted him to the NRL, he got "injured", Gus called him a lock and now he's playing 5/8 in Flegg. There is no plan at the club lmao.

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Critta will be fullback tonight for riff. And deserves a full pre season there and first crack at it next year.

Before everyone panics if he doesn't kill it, it's because he hasn't trained there all year.

Knowing you blokes you'll get the knifes out regardless.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He should've been 5/8 in NSW cup all season. Instead we played him halfback, promoted him to the NRL, he got "injured", Gus called him a lock and now he's playing 5/8 in Flegg. There is no plan at the club lmao.
Yeah it's pretty frustrating, I get why some people dont like Flanno, but dropping him and throwing Oloapu to the wolves was one of the most stupid decisions the club has made in years... I actually struggle to decide which was worse the Oloapu handling or Reynolds signing haha.

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Noticed that KO is playing 6 in Flegg.
Wtf is the go here? Didn’t Gus say the club sees him as a 13? Can’t understand half the shit that comes out of our club these days, sounds like they have no farking idea what they are doing.
Whether Gus said or didn't, lied or didn't: he has nothing to do with any future success or decline for this club

He's the king of twitter and blocking

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree the attitude across the board is poor. Which is reflected in the results.

I went into this season believing we would finish with 8-9 wins so we are not that far away from that mark.

We have been smashed by injuries which hasn’t helped. However it’s the nature of how we have played regardless of who is playing that is most disappointing. Experience and talent aside. Whoever pulls on that jersey should be turning up on defence for each other, the coaches and the fans.

I’m not sure where the finger of blame lays.

The players, the coaching, fitness or a combination of all? The attitude is just not there. I’m worried that is something that cannot be fixed by a flick of the switch over an off season.
Yes agree. That fact we have lost is disappointing enough but it’s more the way in which we’ve lost is the big concern. Even last match v Raiders, we were in the game until 50-55min then folded. So typical of how we play. It’s at these crucial times coming up to HT or early H2, under fatigue, there is no on field LEADERSHIP to battle our way to a win & maintain/exert defensive dominance in the last 25-30 min. It’s too easy to fold, if the going is tough

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Critta and Taaffe will be the best signings in years. Excited about these two.
I agree, plus Kikau unfortunately losing his father didn’t really have any pre season with the team, then the injury, he’ll be a chit load better for us next year with hopefully a full pre season of fitness and playing with the team.

Plus we had a lot out pre season due to the World Cup, gut says the team as a whole will be a lot fitter and a lot more drilled come 2024 ..

Last edited:

yearofthedogs2018

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He’s playing Flegg, should be able to handle the middle in Flegg if he is gonna do it in the future ………ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING he played in the middle in first grade at different parts of games.
And CONSIDERING the fact that it was stated he is seen as a FUTURE NRL 13, wouldn’t it be prudent to let him develop as a 13 I. Flegg ????????
sorry about the bold capitals, my iPhone is playing up
100%
Gus just makes it up as he goes sometimes and Ciraldo seems to not have much idea what he is doing. It’s for sure showing dangerous signs of the direction that the club is going in.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty frustrating, I get why some people dont like Flanno, but dropping him and throwing Oloapu to the wolves was one of the most stupid decisions the club has made in years... I actually struggle to decide which was worse the Oloapu handling or Reynolds signing haha.
I said exactly this at the time and it's a mistake the club continues to make time and time again with young players. So many fans still haven't copped on and always claim young players "can't be any worse than player X" or "at least he will get some NRL experience"...it doesn't work.

Our rebuild is a disaster, the current state of the NRL squad is not suitable for young kids to come into and develop. We aren't even following the panther blueprint at this point either and if anything are doing the opposite. Overpaid players like Kikau, Crichton and JAC were the type of players Gus walked into Panthers and cut yet here he's signing them to long-term deals.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said exactly this at the time and it's a mistake the club continues to make time and time again with young players. So many fans still haven't copped on and always claim young players "can't be any worse than player X" or "at least he will get some NRL experience"...it doesn't work.

Our rebuild is a disaster, the current state of the NRL squad is not suitable for young kids to come into and develop. We aren't even following the panther blueprint at this point either and if anything are doing the opposite. Overpaid players like Kikau, Crichton and JAC were the type of players Gus walked into Panthers and cut yet here he's signing them to long-term deals.
Can you please name 3 players that were on Kikau, Crichton and JAC’s level that Gould cut from the Panthers team back then please ?

Also, you and I only see what happens on game day, GM, Coach etc. are with these players close on 7 days a week …. I’d expect there’s many points that factor into why a player might be cut from a team that we don’t understand … points that other coaches might be prepared to over look or think they’re good enough to fix.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can you please name 3 players that were on Kikau, Crichton and JAC’s level that Gould cut from the Panthers team back then please ?

Also, you and I only see what happens on game day, GM, Coach etc. are with these players close on 7 days a week …. I’d expect there’s many points that factor into why a player might be cut from a team that we don’t understand … points that other coaches might be prepared to over look or think they’re good enough to fix.
Lewis and Jennings are the two obvious ones that were released, Coote another that was released either alongside them or a year later. Gordon was let go as they couldn't match the Sharks money. There's probably a few others too.

Penrith over the years then brought in key players that were proven in their roles like Manu, Brown, Soward, Kite, Maloney, Wallace, Tamou, etc to help lay the platform and develop the next gen of footballer at the club. People also forget that Penrith were poaching talented youth from other clubs at this point and not everything was coming through their local system. Peachey, Segeyaro, Whare, Earl, Latu and many more we're all highly rated juniors at their clubs that Penrith managed to steal.

Gus isn't doing that here. The big difference is that at the Bulldogs Gus has had more money to play with far earlier than he did at Penrith so he's decided to go out and pick a handful of players that he thinks will be key to us down the line and gambled our future on them by handing out big money, long-term deals to them.

Burton an NRL proven centre was recruited to play 5/8. Crichton and NRL proven centre was recruited to play fullback. Kikau who's arguably the best strike backrower in the game was recruited despite him having no pack to play off. JAC just replaced our previous overpaid winger in Cotric because of his vibes. Mahoney is probably the only player that fit the correct profile yet we've handed him the captaincy when he's not deserving or ready for the responsibility and exposed his biggest weakness in his game by not giving him a forward pack to work off and protect him.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis and Jennings are the two obvious ones that were released, Coote another that was released either alongside them or a year later. Gordon was let go as they couldn't match the Sharks money. There's probably a few others too.

Penrith over the years then brought in key players that were proven in their roles like Manu, Brown, Soward, Kite, Maloney, Wallace, Tamou, etc to help lay the platform and develop the next gen of footballer at the club. People also forget that Penrith were poaching talented youth from other clubs at this point and not everything was coming through their local system. Peachey, Segeyaro, Whare, Earl, Latu and many more we're all highly rated juniors at their clubs that Penrith managed to steal.

Gus isn't doing that here. The big difference is that at the Bulldogs Gus has had more money to play with far earlier than he did at Penrith so he's decided to go out and pick a handful of players that he thinks will be key to us down the line and gambled our future on them by handing out big money, long-term deals to them.

Burton an NRL proven centre was recruited to play 5/8. Crichton and NRL proven centre was recruited to play fullback. Kikau who's arguably the best strike backrower in the game was recruited despite him having no pack to play off. JAC just replaced our previous overpaid winger in Cotric because of his vibes. Mahoney is probably the only player that fit the correct profile yet we've handed him the captaincy when he's not deserving or ready for the responsibility and exposed his biggest weakness in his game by not giving him a forward pack to work off and protect him.
Even though I nowhere near agree that Lewis, Jennings or Cootes were anywhere near JAC, Kikau or Crichton level, I’m not stupid enough to argue with a person who’s always right regardless, it would just end up another potato scollops or potato cakes pointless debate.

But the 3 you mention are premiership and representative players, worlds better than what we previously had before them.

If you look at the ages Gould & CC are going for, I feel they’ve been bought to build a long term team around, quality players that will get better and mature as Bulldogs players so the younger players can eventually come into a team with quality leadership and Nrl maturity.

It’s a long game plan that most just can’t see or understand ..

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We will do this every week until next year sigh

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

You ae looking at Penrith through rose coloured glasses, tinted by the passage of time.

Penrith Leagues Club had money problems but not their Football Club their Cap was in decent shape in 2011. Penrith had no carry over of paying players to play with other teams and no back loaded contracts. Their Cap was in much better shape than ours.

Penrith had a very decent team in 2011 when Gould took up the role of General Manager. They had 14 x representative players, such as Petro Civoniceva, Lachlan Coote, Michael Gordon, Michael Jennings, Luke Lewis, Tim Grant, Timana Tahu, Trent Waterhouse, Sam McKendry etc. Very stable line up, only used 19 players for 2 games or more (makes a good comparison to our 36 players this year). Good players not playing as a team and a not so good coach, who was sacked and Ivan Cleary took over for 2012.

Their gains for 2012 were Clint Newton, Cameron Ciraldo, Danny Galea, Geoff Daniella, Junior Tia-Kilifi, Chris Armit, Ryan Simpkins. I'd hardly call them "key players well proven in their roles" and as result not much money was spent in 2012 which was Gould's first year.

It was in Gould's second year, 2013, that the playing roster was more overhauled. In came Segeyaro as hooker (similar to Mahony for us), James Roberts (JAC), Sika Manu (Kikau), Wes Naiqama (Crichton).

Soward didn't arrive until 2014. Gould's 3rd year. Maloney didn't arrive until 2018, Gould's 7th year. Hardly fair comparisons to where we are at.

It seems to me that Gould is doing pretty much the same in a similar time frame as what he did at Penrith.

Always a Bulldog

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree, plus Kikau unfortunately losing his father didn’t really have any pre season with the team, then the injury, he’ll be a chit load better for us next year with hopefully a full pre season of fitness and playing with the team.

Plus we had a lot out pre season due to the World Cup, gut says the team as a whole will be a lot fitter and a lot more drilled come 2024 ..
And that’s exactly what we need. Passion and team work goes a long way. If they get so cohesion as a team in the off season that will also go a very long way to more success in 24!!

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Predictions for next year.

Preston to be infected with second year syndrome like pretty much every player that bursts onto the scene with us.

Crichton to flop at fullback and CC keeps naming him there.

Everyone here to be calling for Taaffe's head by round 7.