Roosters Lead Race for Teen Sensation

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cooper Cronk might’ve only announced his retirement on Monday, but the Sydney Roosters have already been working behind the scenes to snare one of the hottest young talents in the game to be their long-term half.
According to The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield on NRL 360, the Tricolours have earmarked Sam Walker, the 16-year-old son of former player Ben Walker, as Cronk’s long-term successor.

Walker, an Ipswich Grammar Student, currently plays rugby union at school, before switching over to rugby league on weekends for the Ipswich Jets’ under-18s side in the Mal Meninga Cup.

Such is the talent of Walker, the Brisbane Broncos signed him to a development scholarship at just 12 which finishes this year. Even at his tender age he has been described as the most exciting halves prospect in the game.

The Roosters organised to fly Walker down to Sydney two weeks ago with his father to talk to Roosters coach Trent Robinson about his future.

The Australian Rugby Union are also interested in his signature, however the Roosters are widely tipped to land the prized signature ahead of the Broncos, Sea Eagles, Eels and the ARU.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've posted this in two threads also. Bricktamland mentioned that we were chasing him. Now that the Roosters are involved we all know where he'll end up.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've posted this in two threads also. Bricktamland mentioned that we were chasing him. Now that the Roosters are involved we all know where he'll end up.
Will always be rorters!! Can’t be stopped, absolute joke.!!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Suprised Roosters haven't talked on the sly to Jangala Bennett (in Sharks juniors system). Another very talented halves playing coming through the grades.

Roosters vs Broncos could be a nice salary cap showdown.

As for the player, sounds like a lot of hype and potentially over doing it.

I wonder if Roosters spoke to Ponga about a $4 million contract a year if he'd head over.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ok so that's who their long-term prospect is... but what about next year? Who will be their halfback next year? This kid will be 17 then - still too young to start with the cocks.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so that's who their long-term prospect is... but what about next year? Who will be their halfback next year? This kid will be 17 then - still too young to start with the cocks.
I wouldn't worry about that, they have a cheeky $9.5m still left in their cap to sign someone.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We maybe chasing.. but are we catching anyone ..

Wahesh

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about that, they have a cheeky $9.5m still left in their cap to sign someone.
They will probably move Keary into the role and put someone else as five-eighth.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Keary to 7, Latrell to 6, someone else to the centres.
I think it would be a dumb move to switch the worlds best centre to five-eighth... but hey, it's the Roosters, so I'd strongly encourage them to do it :grinning:

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whose the best halfback right now, ignoring Cronk? There's your answer.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Shaun Johnson. Roosters won't sign him though, the Sharks won't let him go.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably grab someone like Riley Jacks or one of the other 15 the Storm have. Think theres a few off Contract this year around the league. Might get the worlds best in Moses

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think the Roosters will sign Chad Townsend tbh

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Uncle Nick always gets his man.

I hear his mum has been offered a job sorting the mail for one of uncle Nicks companies. Oh yeah, she is on $600k a year.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
2GB said this morning it's us, Roosters and Rugby chasing him now.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think it would be a dumb move to switch the worlds best centre to five-eighth... but hey, it's the Roosters, so I'd strongly encourage them to do it :grinning:
Not really... Roosters will stick Hall or BMoz into the centres (or get JMoz from Sharts, or Whare or Scott or someone) and move Mitchell to the halves.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
2GB said this morning it's us, Roosters and Rugby chasing him now.
Hmmm. I wonder who he'll choose? You'd think he wouldn't go to Rugby.

Hopefully the Walkers stints at Souths have led to some sort of Rooster hatred (although I think Chris played for the Rorters) and leads to him to choosing us.