roosters go to top of the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BULLDOG GEORGE

Roosters go to top of the table
April 12, 2008 - 9:46PM

Roosters 28 Panthers 12

The Sydney Roosters joined the Gold Coast at the top of the NRL ladder and further enhanced their premiership claims with a convincing 28-12 win over Penrith at CUA Stadium tonight.

Second half tries to Amos Roberts, Craig Fitzgibbon and Mitchell Pearce sealed the win for the visitors after they had led 10-6 at the break in front of a healthy crowd of almost 17,000 at CUA Stadium.

The Roosters did it all without key stars Anthony Minichiello (back), Willie Mason (knee) and David Shillington (alcohol breach) while the Panthers had fullback Rhys Wesser ruled out before kickoff with a corked thigh.

The tri-colours' win, their fourth in the five games to open 2008, put them level with the Titans on eight competition points and continued their fine record under coach Brad Fittler.

Panthers winger Luke Rooney had a nightmare second-half as the home side failed to match the discipline and determination in defence shown in the first 40 minutes.

The Roosters capitalised on two blunders from the the former Test winger to score just three minutes after the break through Roberts.

Rooney made a meal of a bomb, giving the Roosters back-to-back sets, and then let a Braith Anasta grubber kick to slide through his hands, allowing Roberts to pounce and score under the posts.

The Roosters had two tries disallowed by the video referee, but were in again in the 63rd minute when Rooney failed to defuse another bomb and Fitzgibbon was on hand to finish the job.

Halfback Mitchell Pearce capped another fine performance which enhanced his claims for the NSW halfback jersey when he stepped his way over for a fine solo try 10 minutes later.

The Panthers grabbed a late consolation when Michael Jennings broke the line and sent Geoff Daniela over.

The only sour point of the loss for the Roosters came through injuries to backrower Setaimata Sa (knee) and prop Mark O'Meley (hamstring), who left the field early in the second half and didn't return.

The first half was much more encouraging for the home fans, and the Panthers looked well in the contest when Souths-bound backrower Luke Lewis ran 40m to score a fine solo try and cancel out Shaun Kenny-Dowall's opener.

But substitute Frank Paul Nuuausala scored his first NRL in the 32nd minute try to send the Roosters into the break four points ahead and their lead was not threatened again.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mark O'Meley (hamstring), surprised he lasted 5 rounds

H

Haztrick

Mark O'Meley is just crap. Honestly. Even watching him in 2007, he was average at best. So not worth big money.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He tends to fall the second he gets hit these days, gone are the days he would push with 3 or 4 on him.

top_dawg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
roosters will crumble mid season when they have high s.o.o representation

kingdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He tends to fall the second he gets hit these days, gone are the days he would push with 3 or 4 on him.
hahaa he has always done that

its a tactical thing mate! so dun give it to him bout it

mark o meley i would say is one of the smartest props i have ever seen

the moment he gets hit he knows whether he can eat a few metres and wont drop.. or the moment he gets hit he feels like he mgiht get dominated and wont get newhere he drops to find his elbows and knees instead of bein put on his back

why try and fight a tackle when your not goin to make it newhere.. tkes more energy out of u

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
roosters will crumble mid season when they have high s.o.o representation

agreed but they will come home strong

o'meley has always been a slow starter, he'll be playing well at the back end

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
roosters are a good side this year and will definitely be top4 material and when we rebuild over the next couple of seasons we'll knock 'em of their perch:D but thats not to say ive already given up on the doggies after only 5 rounds

MikeG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lol. I remember when everyone was defending O'Meley's hamstring last year.

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
would be suprised if they didnt get the minor prem.

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
would be suprised if they didnt get the minor prem.
It doesn't matter, if they don't win the premiership it'll be all for nothing. Not many people remember who won the minor premiership say from 1980 to 1990. But if ask the same people who won the grand final (and who lost) they will probably be able to tell you.

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahaa he has always done that

its a tactical thing mate! so dun give it to him bout it

mark o meley i would say is one of the smartest props i have ever seen

the moment he gets hit he knows whether he can eat a few metres and wont drop.. or the moment he gets hit he feels like he mgiht get dominated and wont get newhere he drops to find his elbows and knees instead of bein put on his back

why try and fight a tackle when your not goin to make it newhere.. tkes more energy out of u
i agree with that, y'all just dissing him cause he's with the roosters

farenhyt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Roosters are the team to beat this season......Big name players, Big Game players. Cant compete with that. Good luck to them, they deserve it.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

typical o meley hey has not played a full season for a while looks like the kilometres on the clock are starting to wrok against big Mark. lucky for him he took the cash while he had a chance.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Roosters are the team to beat this season......Big name players, Big Game players. Cant compete with that. Good luck to them, they deserve it.

they deserve it??

are you being serious or taking the piss?

dog mad

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good team with a very smart coach.
I dont care what people say about them buying a premiership or this or that, they are the team to beat, no doubt about that.. Big game players and there defence is awesome

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
ROFLCOPTER Mark Geyer "Nate Myles is the best forward in the comp right now"
Ive never laughed as hard in my life

Status
Not open for further replies.