News Roosters and Storm in multimillion-dollar tug of war for Brandon Smith

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is where I have been saying for years.... get rid of the salary cap altogether, offer the players what you want to offer them. Instead of a cap have a points index system where say a junior at a club is worth 1 point, a regular first grader 2 points, and an elite player 3 points. Each team gets allotted a max of say 50 points and this is spread out over the 30 players. So if a team like the rorters want to splash out and buy 10 elite players they only have 20 points left to fill the 20 remaining positions. This would make it difficult for a team to function efficiently if they tried to stack their side because it leaves no depth. It would make the clubs balance their teams leading to a more enjoyable sport.
i like this idea. It definitely has merit. you should send your ideas to the nrl. I'm sure they will listen!

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not against the rules to make contact and say "we're going to make an offer when we can". The Warriors contacted us only last week to say they are going to have a crack at Joey Manu from Nov 1 - Sydney Roosters star Joseph Manu potentially set to become NRL's next million-dollar man | Sporting News Australia

According to senior reporter Brent Read on Triple M, Manu is being looked at by the New Zealand Warriors, who have already told the Tricolours of their intentions once the star goes to market in November.
so the warriors are willing to spend around 1 mill for Manu per year? to play where? they are kidding. he would have to play fullback and then what happens to Reece Walsh? maybe they will move him to the halves.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's not against the rules to make contact and say "we're going to make an offer when we can". The Warriors contacted us only last week to say they are going to have a crack at Joey Manu from Nov 1 - Sydney Roosters star Joseph Manu potentially set to become NRL's next million-dollar man | Sporting News Australia

According to senior reporter Brent Read on Triple M, Manu is being looked at by the New Zealand Warriors, who have already told the Tricolours of their intentions once the star goes to market in November.
Basically what I said .....can talk but not entice to break. I am confident that that is all clubs do..:tonguewink:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
so the warriors are willing to spend around 1 mill for Manu per year? to play where? they are kidding. he would have to play fullback and then what happens to Reece Walsh? maybe they will move him to the halves.
No idea, but he certainly can play fullback or 5/8 and command the money. Will be interesting to see if we can retain him.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was 1986 We had two second rowers coming off contract Steve Folkes and Brian Battese, while Bullfrog was busy singing Folkes the Rorters sneaked under our guard and signed Battese, despite the lack of need for forwards (Dogs of War) Bullfrog hit back and signed none other than Paul Dunn from the Rorters prompting their CEO Jones to ask, why did Canterbury sign Dunn when already they have so many forwards ?
We know why !
Now everyone knows for months we've been in contact with B. Smith suddenly the Rorters are in the picture,
Where do we go from here ?
What is the true state of our talks with Smith, does he genuinely want to come to us or is he using us ?
Considering the escalations two weeks ago I would have said NO CHANCE !!!
The question NOW...Has Gus Gould learnt anything from Bullfrog ?
Will Gus be the game changer ?

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As things are the salary cap doesn't work to level the playing field. I don't think the NRL gives a crap. The value of a player should be what the team with the most money available under the cap has. This concept of paying overs or Unders depending on how successful a team currently is means that once a team gets on top they're likely to stay there for a long time, while a team that falls in a hole finds it close to impossible to dig themselves out.
I agree that the cap needs reworking. Teams that develop juniors should be afforded an advantage so that they have opportunity’s to retain them . However their still needs to be a cap to level out talent. Otherwise you will see the rich clubs dominate . I think the cap has been the primary reason that the Broncos have come back to the pack.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now everyone knows for months we've been in contact with B. Smith suddenly the Rorters are in the picture,
IMO B Smith played us like a fiddle. He was waiting to see what Bellamy did before committing to the Storm. I can't see Smith leaving the Storm now.

Reactions: Jam

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The rorters always get their man. No contest. Storm don’t have a chance. There is an endless supply of brown paper bags at Bondi.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What good is a salary cap if a club can "officially" claim paying their players a cap compliant wage whilst underhandedly and unfairly enticing players to their club by paying "secret" bonuses that don't get included in that salary cap. Hence why I suggested a points index system for players because it takes away unfair disadvantage from very wealthy clubs.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What good is a salary cap if a club can "officially" claim paying their players a cap compliant wage whilst underhandedly and unfairly enticing players to their club by paying "secret" bonuses that don't get included in that salary cap. Hence why I suggested a points index system for players because it takes away unfair disadvantage from very wealthy clubs.
They are doing something like this in the NRLW this year

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I wouldnt want to pay huge overs for him. Hes decent but most of Melbourne's success is not due to him. Players like hynes and jarome Hughes make a bigger difference

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wouldnt want to pay huge overs for him. Hes decent but most of Melbourne's success is not due to him. Players like hynes and jarome Hughes make a bigger difference
Smith's the inform hooker (the best this year) of the competition and Hughes and himself have been the best 2 players in one of the most dominant teams we've ever seen. If there's a player worth paying overs for it's Smith. Then you add on top the character he has (one of the best personalities in the NRL) and how positive he can be for the playing group as a person and it's a no brainer really. He's a player that's going to make everyone around him better. The position we need to strengthen the most is hooker.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was 1986 We had two second rowers coming off contract Steve Folkes and Brian Battese, while Bullfrog was busy singing Folkes the Rorters sneaked under our guard and signed Battese, despite the lack of need for forwards (Dogs of War) Bullfrog hit back and signed none other than Paul Dunn from the Rorters prompting their CEO Jones to ask, why did Canterbury sign Dunn when already they have so many forwards ?
We know why !
Where do we go from here ?
What is the true state of our talks with Smith, does he genuinely want to come to us or is he using us ?
Considering the escalations two weeks ago I would have said NO CHANCE !!!
The question NOW...Has Gus Gould learnt anything from Bullfrog ?
Will Gus be the game changer ?
Dunn went on to be a Clive Churchill medallist for us too.

sleepy dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He won’t be at roosters. Manager trying to drive up his price. It will be either us or Melbourne. Melbourne have the upper hand now that Bellamy is staying

sleepy dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We are going to have to pull out the big guns. 1 million, plus Gould,

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Surely it's well documented that we're in for B Smith and roosters are kinda stepping on our toes by trying to poach under our noses.
Not really poaching from under our noses if we’re already poaching from under someone else’s (Storm’s) noses though is it.

Dingobat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Even Cooper Cronk said hes not worth 1 million. He said hes closer to the 500k mark. Gus wont be stupid offering ridiculous amount of money to Smith.