News Roosters and Storm in multimillion-dollar tug of war for Brandon Smith

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don’t worry about smith honestly . We should put the deal on the table and that’s it we ain’t gettijf him

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
15 years ago - yes

Hopefully in 5 years maybe

But I just think given where both sides are the rorters will get him. I can’t remember many in recent times who they have lost who they wanted to keep or not recruited who they wanted to get.

RTS was one back in 2017 but they are few and far between
The best part about this is the smoke and fire. The rumour about us chasing him was always true, except that we couldn't confirm it. You never know.

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best part about this is the smoke and fire. The rumour about chasing him was always true, except that we couldn't confirm it. You never know.
All good mate. I was never one to think he would be the gun signing everyone thought he would be. Too many ex Storm players have failed when they leave. In my opinion Bellamy is light years ahead of any other coach and the players struggle when they leave him.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should prioritise a decent hooker like Blayke Brailey. Will do a very good job and won't break the bank. Now the Sharks have McInnes they won't break the bank to keep him either. We have a good friend of his already in Flanagan.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
One will go. Both Smith and Grant are million dollar players. Cant have 2 mill plus players in the same position. Will be interesting to see who goes where. My guess is Smith will stay and Grant will end up somewhere else. This article probably means Rosters are targeting Grant who has a similar contract and are just playing smoke and mirrors.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roosters have identified Storm hooker Brandon Smith as their priority target to fill the hole left by club legend Boyd Cordner following his retirement.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield revealed in an exclusive Roosters boss Nick Politis and general manager of football Daniel Anderson have contacted Smith’s agent, Stan Martin.

Smith is off-contract at the end of 2022 which means rival clubs are free to talk with him as of November 1 and the Storm hooker will be arguably the hottest player on the market.
Uncle Nick and his brown paper bag will go to the meeting. Fucken scumbag

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good..!
Let’s win a premiership without him.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should prioritise a decent hooker like Blayke Brailey. Will do a very good job and won't break the bank. Now the Sharks have McInnes they won't break the bank to keep him either. We have a good friend of his already in Flanagan.
Blayke Brailey is a little overrated in my opinion. Was meant to be the next big thing but hasn’t really done much in first grade. He’s one of those players that just does the job

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the NRL is serious about making the salary cap be a levelling field then they need to set minimum values for players like Smith....so if his value is set at minimum of 700k the roosters or other clubs can’t offer him 500K....it’s the only way to stop elite teams from always grabbing the best players
For a while I've been saying that the system should follow a rule where if a team offers him 800k a season, that's the benchmark price. Anyone else making an offer to him would have to be within 5% of that price. A top tier team with loads of talent on their roster couldn't swoop in and offer 500k then top it up with under the table payments. Until some rule like this is in play it leaves the system open to cap cheating.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Roosters have identified Storm hooker Brandon Smith as their priority target to fill the hole left by club legend Boyd Cordner following his retirement.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield revealed in an exclusive Roosters boss Nick Politis and general manager of football Daniel Anderson have contacted Smith’s agent, Stan Martin.

Smith is off-contract at the end of 2022 which means rival clubs are free to talk with him as of November 1 and the Storm hooker will be arguably the hottest player on the market.
Game over…
Enjoy Bondi B Smith, say hi to Uncle Nicholas for us.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Go for Grant, he killed it at the Tigers in an average team.

Get him on a rehab program and ban him from origin duties until he gets his body right.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
For a while I've been saying that the system should follow a rule where if a team offers him 800k a season, that's the benchmark price. Anyone else making an offer to him would have to be within 5% of that price. A top tier team with loads of talent on their roster couldn't swoop in and offer 500k then top it up with under the table payments. Until some rule like this is in play it leaves the system open to cap cheating.
True Alan. That's how the Rorters have been rorting the cap for years.

I once wrote a letter to a knob at the NRL (Greg Brady or something like) that back when Fittler was still there. The impetus for my writing was some media article about how they would struggle to retain Fittler and Morley. Not only did they do that, but bought more and more top line players - just like magic.

I said to this Brady dude that on the basis of what other clubs would pay for the players at Rorters they were obviously over the cap. He wrote back to me all indignant and told me he did not like what I was saying told me that I didn't understand because players would play for such a successful club as the Rorters for a lot less than they would play for at other clubs. I accept that if we are talking maybe $40,000 to $50,000 difference but not the kind of difference you talked about in your post ie $300,000.

This Brady knob told me that is what happens.

I say that everyone knows it's bullshit and Rorters will show $500,000 on the official books then comes the under the table payments - Uncle Nick with the brown paper bags. That's how they have been doing it for years and the worst part is this asshole at the NRL actually seemed convinced it was all legitimate. Also remember for many years the NRL salary cap auditor was Ian Schubert. Thick as two planks but of course also an ex-Rorters player. He'd obviously never find anything wrong with the Rorter's books. I think he should have been disqualified from auditing them (if any such audit ever even happened) due to a conflict of interest.