Roosters after Haas

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SYDNEY CLUB CIRCLES HAAS

The Roosters are reportedly “very interested” in Payne Haas and there’s some scary parallels between his contract situation and an ex-Rooster.

Haas is signed to the Broncos until the end of 2024. But he is currently locked in a contract dispute with his ex-manager, Chris Orr and if he wins the legal battle his contract could be null and void.

This would open the door for the Roosters to strike, according to News Corp’s Phil Rothfield.

“Payne Haas is an identical story to Sonny Billy Williams in 2008 at the Bulldogs, which is a huge concern for the Broncos,” Rothfield told Sky Sports Radio’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“Sonny Bill was managed by the Orr brothers, Payne Haas is managed by the Orr brothers. At the time Sonny Bill walked out on the Bulldogs in that well-publicised incident to play in Europe because he wasn’t happy with his contract at the Bulldogs. Khoder Nasser took over Sonny Bill’s contract at that time.

“Payne Haas has left the Orr brothers, Khoder Nasser has stepped in as has Sonny Bill Williams as his Adviser.”

“He’s not happy with his contract. He was on $548,000 with the Broncos, put him onto the open market and he’d be on $1 million a year so that’s got to be sorted out.

“I keep hearing the Roosters are very, very interested in him. He’s still under contract with the Broncos for another three years but will that be declared null and void if he wins this case against the Orr brothers? It’s a really interesting story with Haas and his future at the Broncos.”

As one of the best props in the game, Haas would demand a starting spot at any club. The Roosters currently boast the likes of Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Siosiua Taukeiaho and Lindsay Collins as prop options but 33-year-old Waerea-Hargreaves comes off contract at the end of 2023 and Taukeiaho has been linked to the Super League for next season.

Fuck the Roosters, Nasser and Uncle Nick.

Hope we can compete with the Roosters in the player market in a couple of years time.
Old news, I said last year we'd be after him when all this manager/contract saga began. Every club will be after him including yours if his current contract is rendered void. He'd be the perfect replacement for JWH and with him and Tauks leaving we'd have ample funds to offer him a contract.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Old news, I said last year we'd be after him when all this manager/contract saga began. Every club will be after him including yours if his current contract is rendered void. He'd be the perfect replacement for JWH and with him and Tauks leaving we'd have ample funds to offer him a contract.
JWH and TKO's contracts could theoretically free up enough cap space for B.Smith in 23. Even then it's a stretch considering the other highly paid players on your roster.

But I can't see how anyone could justify 900k plus on Haas on top of that considering Keary, Teddy, Chrichton, B.Smith, Manu, Walker, Suaalii and Radley would be on almost $6 million combined.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If they get Haas on top of Cheese going in 23 then I think they will win 2 comps by the end of 2027.
Keep calm and remember Cheese is not very good. Roosters ain't winning shit.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Roosters are like a determined fat guy wriggling his way into a pair of skinny jeans. It may take some vaso, but somehow they find a way to make it work.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
JWH and TKO's contracts could theoretically free up enough cap space for B.Smith in 23. Even then it's a stretch considering the other highly paid players on your roster.

But I can't see how anyone could justify 900k plus on Haas on top of that considering Keary, Teddy, Chrichton, B.Smith, Manu, Walker, Suaalii and Radley would be on almost $6 million combined.
JWH is contracted until the end of next year, no help in paying BSmith there.

Always a Bulldog

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, the existing contract is one between two parties only....1. The Broncs and 2. Haas himself. Even if he is in dispute with his then Manager, Haas has validated that contract by taking the money and fulfilling his obligations to the Broncs. The result of any legal action between Haas & his Manager is a separate issue still to be resolved. Did the NRL accept the contract.........fait accompli.......

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this right, he's on $548k at the Donkeys and his (depending on a court case) Manager thinks he can get $1m but we all know he will sign with the Chooks for $300k (for some obscure bullshit reason).

Always a Bulldog
Plus they'd give him a car allowance , relocation allowance , big fucking bag of untraceable cash allowance and an apart in Bondi that now belongs to him allowance. Obviously only the last 2 allowances are only available to roosters players

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can justify it through my red, white and blue eyes :smirk: but yeah it would be a squeeze. We'll make him an offer as we'd be mad not too, but I'm guessing he'll stay in QLD unless he wants to get away from his psyco mum.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters are like a determined fat guy wriggling his way into a pair of skinny jeans. It may take some vaso, but somehow they find a way to make it work.
lol I like that analogy and your avatar. It would be a squeeze, but like every other club we'll be chasing him hard.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can justify it through my red, white and blue eyes :smirk: but yeah it would be a squeeze. We'll make him an offer as we'd be mad not too, but I'm guessing he'll stay in QLD unless he wants to get away from his psyco mum.
Even the Roosters propaganda department at News Ltd would have a hard time justifying signing Haas unless you guys offloaded some good players on decent money.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even the Roosters propaganda department at News Ltd would have a hard time justifying signing Haas unless you guys offloaded some good players on decent money.
True and it would depend on when we sign him from. We're honouring Cord's contract until the end of 2022, Friend is off the books, Tauks will be gone at the end of this year, and who knows we might "medically retire" JWH to make room for Haas if he comes onto the market.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
lol I like that analogy and your avatar. It would be a squeeze, but like every other club we'll be chasing him hard.
This year will be the year Uncle Nick rues the decision to let Kyle go.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Happy to lose Thompson if it mean we get Hass
I'd rather lose Mariner, Stimson, Waddell, Allan, Vaughan (would require upgrade), Flanagan and keep Thompson and sign Haas