Roberts vs Sutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddman

Serial madman!
Reaction score
This weekend will be a cracker of a positional rivalry with Ben Roberts taking on the in-form John Sutton.
Sutton has single handedly brought South's back into finals contention and Roberts will need to be in form like he was against Brisbane to bring him down.

Can he do it??
I believe so :D

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dud thread, Takes alot more then a 5/8 v 5/8 to win a game.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i thought this was a who is better Sutton or Roberts. Obvious answer is Sutton. But yeah we do need another Roberts performance like the one against the broncos. Thats his problem, he is far too inconsistent between excellent games. The difference between his best and worst games are massive, while the better players differences are minimal.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Roberts can reproduce his Bronco game form we will be off to a good start, he has it in him.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Roberts has lately become a ball hog tbh..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well his best attribute is his ball running. To be honest I haven't noticed that too much. Roberts is still giving good early ball IMO and has really developed a nice and most importantly reliable passing game this season.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree.

There were a couple of opportunities V Parra where he should of passed it.

I think when he was on the right side, he should've passed to Idris but took the tackle.

And his ball running doesn't seem to be as damaging. I think teams have noticed they need to rush up on him and give him no space or time.

Anastabation

Reaction score
Roberts is doing great. He is one of our most dangerous attacking players. You can see he still has alot of improvement in him but he is 10 times the player he was last year. When you watch the dogs live (which i've only done 3 times this year) you can often see that when we look flat, Roberts always looks like he can spark something, even if its just with some clever footwork to get us a quick play the ball. Obviously this game won't come down to Sutton V Roberts though. While they play the same position, Sutton V Kimmorley is probably the real battle but having said that, the game will be won on the back of which team controls the game best. If one team is marching up feild and the other struggling to get decent feild position, Kimmorley or Roberts won't be able to win the game for us and if the shoe is on the other foot, Sutton or Sandow won't win the game for them.

Benji Bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If it was really needed you always could put him in the centres he would be very dangerous out there, played there in semi final in 2006 against Brisbane

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was really needed you always could put him in the centres he would be very dangerous out there, played there in semi final in 2006 against Brisbane
LOL no.

5/8 is Roberts position and Morris is double the centre Roberts will ever be.

My concern with Roberts along with Sutton is their like the weather.

Roberts is still very young and has improved big time this season but he isn't where he was against Brisbane or the Dragons or whatever.

He needs the form he had back then to lift us up again.

Also, I think Roberts is a more creative player than Sutton. Sutton is just a bigger man and like Roberts, is a great ball runner. I think the key to us winning this game is through the middle.

If we tire their forwards out early, we can have them on the backfoot, centres and wingers have to push in to help and then there's space outwide for us.

Morris and Goodwin should potentially have a field day against Champion and Simpson. Simpson is a good player but I don't think he has been tested defencively. We will do that IMO.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well his best attribute is his ball running. To be honest I haven't noticed that too much. Roberts is still giving good early ball IMO and has really developed a nice and most importantly reliable passing game this season.
Problem is when we have half a chance to use an overlap, Roberts just tries to run through them, i mean sure back yourself, but there are times where you should use your brain as opposed to your strength (which Roberts has plenty of).

He does have a good passing game, but the problem at the moment is that he's getting predictable. Players expect him to run at them rather than pass now, and i think he's just frustrated he got denied twice by great tackles, once against the Cowboys and once against the Titans

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Hard to say both players rip it up one week and are crap for the next 9.... so whos knows..

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our centres Morris and Idris are already doing an excellent job so keep Roberts at 5/8.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
The Rabbits have been attacking down the right side lately, espically when in their opposition 20. Sutton offloading at shoulder height to a hole runner has worked well for them. But they now meet the inform centre combination in the Dogs left of Morris, Goodwin and with Ryan defending out there as well, the Rabbits might find it a bit tough to score there.

Status
Not open for further replies.