RLW Article: The Million Dollar Kid (Michael Lichaa)

K

Kane 'em

Here's an article on Sharks boom hooker Michael Lichaa from the recent edition of Rugby League Week (RLW). (Click to enlarge image)

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
no surprise his manager talks him up but yeah he's a great young player. I hope we sign him

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh I thought we had already signed him. Fingers crossed

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If he is as good as everyone is saying then that's great.
It seems like a gamble to talk him up so much though

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the fact is that the bloke is well above all the other players in his age group/generation shows why there is hype. He definitely has the skills but needs to be turned into a first grader.

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This guy has never been selected for first grade at Sharks, and he has two donkeys in John Morris and DeGois keeping him in the reggies. He cant be that good.
Far out I'm sick of hearing this!!

The kid was 20 last year and had injuries preventing him from playing first grade - he is now 21. The same young age as Templeman, who hasn't played first grade yet - he must be shit too yeh? Perrett keeping him out of first grade, what a dud!

Lichaa will play this year and I HOPE Des gets his signature before everyone realises how good he is.

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Des wants him he must be good, and if he's as good as reported, I love to see us sign him. Can he only play hooker?

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I remember we lost a centre to the sharks that was going to be the next sonny bill where has he gone.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the title is just for cosmetic purposes and this kid isnt really demanding a million dollar contract - People here didnt even approve of Sam Tomkins asking price yet hes played rep footy and scored a lot of tries and yet willing to gamble on a untested player who yet to break into FG and doesnt even look to have the jump on De Gois or John Morris.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Far out I'm sick of hearing this!!

The kid was 20 last year and had injuries preventing him from playing first grade - he is now 21. The same young age as Templeman, who hasn't played first grade yet - he must be shit too yeh? Perrett keeping him out of first grade, what a dud!

Lichaa will play this year and I HOPE Des gets his signature before everyone realises how good he is.
Perfectly said. Sure his agent is talking him up and overhyping him but there's no doubt he'd be a great signing and is the best young hooker out there and on the market. And considering that we really haven't ever had a good starting modern utility upper echelon type hooker at the club since hookers changed in the Buderus/Smith/Farah mould then it'd be a welcome change. Think of our hookers the last twenty years... Hetherington, Perry, Hughes and now Ennis. Considering how little opportunities our halves and fullback create for others compared to other clubs, we desperately need playmaking, skill and creativity from our hooker.

And all of this nonsense about Lichaa being in reserves is just that nonsense.. Does the fact that Burr, Templeman and Mbye are in reserves this week mean they're rubbish and no one else should want to sign them? Sometimes the best recruits to sign are in other teams 20's and reserves teams and generally come a hell of a lot cheaper than whoever is an established first grader. I hope we sign him soon because while we've done a brilliant job in retention, we haven't signed anywhere near enough young talent from other clubs, especially considering how good Cleal and Hasler's track record is in that department.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope the title is just for cosmetic purposes and this kid isnt really demanding a million dollar contract - People here didnt even approve of Sam Tomkins asking price yet hes played rep footy and scored a lot of tries and yet willing to gamble on a untested player who yet to break into FG and doesnt even look to have the jump on De Gois or John Morris.
It'd be $1 million over 3 or 4 years. It's just the media sensationalising the headline.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'd imagine it would be similar to Klemmer. A mil over 3 years or so.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Perfectly said. Sure his agent is talking him up and overhyping him but there's no doubt he'd be a great signing and is the best young hooker out there and on the market. And considering that we really haven't ever had a good starting modern utility upper echelon type hooker at the club since hookers changed in the Buderus/Smith/Farah mould then it'd be a welcome change. Think of our hookers the last twenty years... Hetherington, Perry, Hughes and now Ennis. Considering how little opportunities our halves and fullback create for others compared to other clubs, we desperately need playmaking, skill and creativity from our hooker.

And all of this nonsense about Lichaa being in reserves is just that nonsense.. Does the fact that Burr, Templeman and Mbye are in reserves this week mean they're rubbish and no one else should want to sign them? Sometimes the best recruits to sign are in other teams 20's and reserves teams and generally come a hell of a lot cheaper than whoever is an established first grader. I hope we sign him soon because while we've done a brilliant job in retention, we haven't signed anywhere near enough young talent from other clubs, especially considering how good Cleal and Hasler's track record is in that department.
With you 100% although I'm not fussed on Cleal & Haslers record, I trust them. I just hope like hell we sign him NOW!

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is he from the shire, born there or was he brought there. Hope is not another QLDer.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score